TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

My guess is that Samsung is paying $Texas for the advertisement. The GP eats this up, so Six Flags is putting this on main attractions now since it's not a total failure. Yea, capacity sucks, but not much can be done there. Samsung wants their name front and center.

Am I the only one who thinks this VR stuff needs to stop? I rode DDD with VR and it wasn't really too awesome. It just fell out of sync a lot and made for a disorienting experience that was not enjoyable. Haven't ridden it again since and I refuse to wait hour and hours for it. I guess it has a place, but between this and Superman The Ride getting VR, I think six flags should stop butchering flagship attractions. I think VR could be used to enhance sub par coasters, but I don't think it's a good fit for big awesome flagship hyper coasters.

I haven't experienced it yet, so it's a little out of place for me to actually judge, but I must admit I am not thrilled with the trend. When I ride a roller coaster, I want to see the track, the scenery, and feel like I'm riding a coaster - not experiencing some other event (and if it's out of sync, that's even worse!)

Am I the only one who thinks this VR stuff needs to stop? I rode DDD with VR and it wasn't really too awesome. It just fell out of sync a lot and made for a disorienting experience that was not enjoyable. Haven't ridden it again since and I refuse to wait hour and hours for it. I guess it has a place, but between this and Superman The Ride getting VR, I think six flags should stop butchering flagship attractions. I think VR could be used to enhance sub par coasters, but I don't think it's a good fit for big awesome flagship hyper coasters.

Like I said earlier, it's Samsung driving this. By putting it on a flagship coaster, it puts more eyes on their product. As an advertiser, would you want your product on a ride that puts 1 million people through the que per year or one that does 450k?

Like I said earlier, it's Samsung driving this. By putting it on a flagship coaster, it puts more eyes on their product. As an advertiser, would you want your product on a ride that puts 1 million people through the que per year or one that does 450k?

I understand that. I just hope this trend turns into a PR nightmare honestly. That's the only way I see it stopping. If it doesn't stop we might see parks starting to double down on the VR and so on and so on.

My guess is that Samsung is paying $Texas for the advertisement. The GP eats this up, so Six Flags is putting this on main attractions now since it's not a total failure. Yea, capacity sucks, but not much can be done there. Samsung wants their name front and center.

Why assume that? It's a readily marketable attraction, Six Flags doesn't need any additional justification to add this and attract customers.

I understand that, but why did SFSTL put VR on their worst coaster, Ninja, then? Put it on Viper here or some other ride that is good, but does not attract huge lines.

Why assume that? It's a readily marketable attraction, Six Flags doesn't need any additional justification to add this and attract customers.

For Six Flags? No, this doesn't add to their customer base really. But for Samsung, it puts their product in front of 1 million people instead of say 450-500k if this was installed on Demon. That is the factor that is driving this. It's a collaboration between Samsung AND Six Flags. Both sides want to benefit. This is where Samsung is getting their benefit.

Samsung is the one who pushed for this to be used on marquee attractions like Bull and Superman in all likelihood.

For Six Flags? No, this doesn't add to their customer base really. But for Samsung, it puts their product in front of 1 million people instead of say 450-500k if this was installed on Demon. That is the factor that is driving this. It's a collaboration between Samsung AND Six Flags. Both sides want to benefit. This is where Samsung is getting their benefit.

Samsung is the one who pushed for this to be used on marquee attractions like Bull and Superman in all likelihood.

This is a product that Six Flags purchased from "VR Coaster". I know that samsung has some level of involvement, including supplying the phones and Gear VR's, but as far as I know, you're peddling a conspiracy theory here.

The initial batch of VR coasters was put on a wide range of rides, ranging from the highest to lowest profile coasters in each park. They've most likely determined based on their collected customer data that Raging Bull is the best candidate for attracting guests to the park. Everyone here seems to be under the impression that the only case for this tech is to rejuvenate low profile or low ridership rides, but there's no reason to think Six Flags thinks that. To them, putting VR on a major ride is a recipe for a low cost marquee attraction.

This is a product that Six Flags purchased from "VR Coaster". I know that samsung has some level of involvement, including supplying the phones and Gear VR's, but as far as I know, you're peddling a conspiracy theory here.

The initial batch of VR coasters was put on a wide range of rides, ranging from the highest to lowest profile coasters in each park. They've most likely determined based on their collected customer data that Raging Bull is the best candidate for attracting guests to the park. Everyone here seems to be under the impression that the only case for this tech is to rejuvenate low profile or low ridership rides, but there's no reason to think Six Flags thinks that. To them, putting VR on a major ride is a recipe for a low cost marquee attraction.

The reason people think that using VR on lower profile rides is what Six Flags would want to do is because it is what makes sense from a capacity (and thus guest satisfaction) standpoint. People are trying really hard to justify their actions as being in the best interests of business and overall guest service.

Capacity is really the only thing there, and it seems that corporate doesn't value it as much as this community does. It seems likely that guest interest and satisfaction were sufficiently higher on this type of ride (being fitted with VR) to justify it's choice rather than something like whizzer.

There's really no need for wild theories.

VR didn't get me back on Ninja, and it won't get me back on Raging Bull either. Strapping a cell phone to my face doesn't make a bad ride good.

If/when presented with the opportunity, I will gladly ride without VR. It's not something that will enhance my experience. Bull is the tallest coaster in the park - I really enjoy the slow climb to the top and drop into the tunnel..and seeing what's in front of me is a big part of that. I'd feel more comfortable doing VR on this rather than Ninja because I wouldn't be afraid of my neck being snapped.

My Homepark is SFNE and Supeman the Ride is a mess with VR. You'd be lucky to catch it on a day with less than an hour and a half now. This could be worse, I've never been to SFGAM but I heard it can get really slammed and lines can get long I can't imagine what VR will to do Raging Bull

This is my home park and I must say I'm very disappointed in this. I have absolutely no interest in trying this out. I just hope they back row isn't chosen to be used for the this. If you ask me Demon would of been the better choice for VR because there's almost never a line. Let's hope Six Flags stops the VR's once Fright Fest starts. Otherwise these lines and operations will only get worse.

Has anyone stayed at one of the "partner" hotels and utilized the shuttles? I am looking at visiting the park and will only have a day. Trying to figure out if the shuttles run regularly enough or if I should suck it up and pay the $25 for parking.

Stay at the LaQuinta across the street and you can walk across to the park in less than 15 minutes. There's also great bars/restaurants steps away from the hotel as well. TPR stays here when they visit SFGAm.

Make sure you get a fast pass to ride everything! Good luck!

http://www.laquintachicagogurnee.com/?cid=local_google_1016

Has anyone stayed at one of the "partner" hotels and utilized the shuttles? I am looking at visiting the park and will only have a day. Trying to figure out if the shuttles run regularly enough or if I should suck it up and pay the $25 for parking.

We stayed at Hampton Inn Chicago/Gurnee when we went last summer, which is an easy walk to the park. And as previously mentioned, there's a LaQuinta Inn nearby (Which is a lot cheaper than the Hampton).

There's plenty of hotels within walking distance, so you should never need to pay for parking.