TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Honestly, (coming from someone with SFGAm being their home park) I feel it's only worth it to accomplish this list on the website: https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/newsroom/super-fan-signs

I want to accomplish all of these except the Super Hero cape one just because I'm not a huge super hero fan and as a broke college student I don't want to pay for lots of capes I'm going to do nothing with aha. I do have some of them though, such as the heights of the rides and I do have lots of souvenir bottles and other stuff from the park.

Just found out that I'm going to be able to make Advocate Day this year and have a question for anyone that has been or might have some insight. Obviously season passes aren't valid since the park isn't officially open, but does anyone know if season dining passes will be accepted? Just trying to plan for food for the day since normally I don't have to worry about it.

Just found out that I'm going to be able to make Advocate Day this year and have a question for anyone that has been or might have some insight. Obviously season passes aren't valid since the park isn't officially open, but does anyone know if season dining passes will be accepted? Just trying to plan for food for the day since normally I don't have to worry about it.

Dining passes are not accepted during private events

Dining passes are not accepted during private events

Thanks, that's what I thought but wanted to make sure. Any idea what attendance and lines will be like? A friend of mine was able to get the ticket for me and told me about it since they aren't able to attend and I just happened to have the day off and figured it would be a nice preview for next weekend. I'm going to be meeting up with a couple of people from the area so I don't know what to expect as I haven't been to a private event at the park before.

Question about meal plans at GAm.

We bought family Gold passes last fall during the big sale.

I got the email today for the $35 basic meal plan.

The Deluxe plan is on sale for $80.

Question:

Are the meal plans tied to a membership card?

We're a family of six. If four of us went to the park, but one of the Deluxe Meal Plan holders didn't - could we use their card to buy dinner? Are they photo IDs? What's the rule here?

I was thinking of getting a couple of the $35 basic plans - sounds like a great deal.

And a couple of the $80 Deluxe plans.

Is that $80 Deluxe price a pretty regular deal? Or is this "Earth Day sale" for real?

Thanks.

^^ Dining plans are attached to specific memberships. Dining plans will not work unless the pass associated with the plan was used to enter the park.

^ Typically, opening day is a huge cluster, so my guess is that Sunday would be better than Saturday, but I haven't been to an opening weekend in a long time. If you aren't planning on being back to the park any time soon, Flash Pass wouldn't be a bad idea. Especially with the shoddy operations at the beginning of the year. I would also recommend planning on eating outside the park whether you pack a lunch and keep it in your car or go to a restaurant off property. You will have better/cheaper options than inside the park, and probably won't take you much more time due to how long the food lines usually are in the park.

Might be going to th park for the first time this Saturday or Sunday. How will the lines be on a weekend in April? What day is best out of the 2? Flashpass be needed? If so, what type?

The park was absolutely slammed every single time I visited last year. Opening day last year was crazy, most coasters had one train ops (Goliath's line was probably 3-4 hours, one of the longest lines I've seen), and I think we ended up leaving at noon. To really enjoy this park, you need a Fastpass. Even on a day sure to be less crowded (rainy Sunday afternoon) it's just slammed. Buy the Fastpass and hope the major coasters are operating.

Might be going to th park for the first time this Saturday or Sunday. How will the lines be on a weekend in April? What day is best out of the 2? Flashpass be needed? If so, what type?

So here is what I can tell you and you can decide.

Last Saturday I was at the park for the private event. It was just as busy as any regular operating day i've ever been to. That being said, opening weekend is going to be worse. Most lines were 45 minutes and Goliath was 1.5 hours.

Here is what info I can provide

- Superman - Running 2 trains. Single rider line was being utilized surprisingly.

- Goliath - Do this right at opening and get in early. Orange train was not running and was not on the storage track. I wouldn't expect it to be up for this weekend. Single train ops meant only 1 train dispatching every 5.5 minutes. No single rider line for the closed event (not surprised).

- Wizzer - Can't report on as I didn't want to wait 45 minutes

- Raging Bull - Make this an early ride as well. During the closed event, 2 train operations and about a 45 minute wait.

- Batman - 2 train operations (I did see parts for a refurb sitting in storage but I don't believe they will go down to just 1 train). Full queue to the park was moving quickly and only took 35 minutes to get through.

- American Eagle - Red trains were not on the tracks or anywhere to be found. Will most likely be just blue side running with 2 trains. About a 30 minute wait around noon and the ride went down twice while I was in line but came back up quickly.

- V2 - Normal operations and a normal 30-45 minute wait

- Dark Knight - Can't report as I didn't get near it.

- Flat rides - Condor was running no lines, bumper cars running with 15 minute wait, Hometown Fun Machine - 15-25 minute wait, Orbit - 15 minute wait. Most other flats will not be open until later in the season (may from what i've heard).

- Giant drop - All cars running. Car 54 only has 3 seats working out of the 4. Very minimal line. Longest wait was 15 minutes at the peak of the day.

- Viper - 2 trains running. 15 minute wait. Probably got up to 30 minutes at one point.

- X-Flight - Single train running - Expect a 45 minute-1 hour wait. This will be a problem.

- Demon - 2 train operations - 15-30 minute wait.

- Loggers Run - walk on. Running great

- Yankee Clipper - Not open

For me, I will be getting a platinum flash pass for Saturday and possibly gold on Sunday depending on the Sunday crowd. Remember, there are deeply discounted tickets and very nice weather forcast so I would expect peak attendance similar to fright fest crowds. If you don't go with a flash pass, you will be lucky to hit all the major rides once.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the help! What's the difference between the gold and platinum flashpass?

Platinum gives double rides without leaving your seat on all but Goliath, Giant Drop and Vertical Velocity and allows you to reserve Goliath twice in a day. You cannot reserve Goliath with a Gold.

Thanks for the help! What's the difference between the gold and platinum flashpass?

Platinum gives double rides without leaving your seat on all but Goliath, Giant Drop and Vertical Velocity and allows you to reserve Goliath twice in a day. You cannot reserve Goliath with a Gold.

Also Gold is 50% wait time and Platinum is 90% reduced wait time.

That's not true, and not even Six Flags claims that. The claim is "up to 50%" and "up to 90%." It's not a key difference.

That's not true, and not even Six Flags claims that. The claim is "up to 50%" and "up to 90%." It's not a key difference.

All I'm going to say on a BAFF day that it was pretty much instantaneous when choosing a new ride. (So yes, do go with the platinum, it worked out amazing, plus I skipped that Goliath line for Goliath. And choose a new ride right after they scan your qbot for maximum efficiency and ride time.)

To really enjoy this park, you need a Fastpass. Even on a day sure to be less crowded (rainy Sunday afternoon) it's just slammed.

With this in mind I figured I might have to splash out on a Flash Pass on my visit in a few weeks' time.

Except...I'm going on Thursday 19th May and the online store doesn't offer Flash Pass for that date, or indeed any other date in May when the park closes at 1700.

What gives? Do they really not sell Flash Passes on a day when the park is only open for 6.5 hours?

To really enjoy this park, you need a Fastpass. Even on a day sure to be less crowded (rainy Sunday afternoon) it's just slammed.

With this in mind I figured I might have to splash out on a Flash Pass on my visit in a few weeks' time.

Except...I'm going on Thursday 19th May and the online store doesn't offer Flash Pass for that date, or indeed any other date in May when the park closes at 1700.

What gives? Do they really not sell Flash Passes on a day when the park is only open for 6.5 hours?

Not too sure :/ I'm sure you can buy one. I only bought a FP once last year since I visited a couple other times and got rides in before noon. I'd just call them, I'm sure they can give you an answer.

Good news and Bad news. Bad news is that they likely don't have enough staff on a weekday in May to actually make the Flash Pass work.

Good news is that other than school groups the park will be relatively quiet. After 3PM the place should really start to empty out. Those are the best afternoons for rerides during the entire season. Just so you stay ahead of the groups (ride all the coaster with one train op/goliath first you should be fine.

Good news is that other than school groups the park will be relatively quiet. After 3PM the place should really start to empty out. Those are the best afternoons for rerides during the entire season. Just so you stay ahead of the groups (ride all the coaster with one train op/goliath first you should be fine.

Okay, thanks for the info.

I guess I should aim to hit Goliath, Superman and Raging Bull as early as possible. Anyone know which coasters are likely to have one-train ops?

I guess I should aim to hit Goliath, Superman and Raging Bull as early as possible. Anyone know which coasters are likely to have one-train ops?

You should hit up Raging Bull in the afternoon, too. It gets a lot of crap for being kinda slow, but honestly the first drop is one of the best I've experienced and the twister section after the MCBR can be really fun once it warms up.

I'd say focus on Goliath, V2, and Whizzer first since they all are low capacity. If another local wants to trump me, go for it. I've only been in Chicago for a little over a year.

Someone posted the one train ops a few pages back, but the park will have a solid month before your visit, so hopefully they will get the second train on most coasters by then. X-Flight always seems to be late along with Eagle Red. Your plan of Goliath, Superman and V2 are all solid as they are capacity nightmares typically.