TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

No way I can go through all 900 pages of this thread, but even just the most recent five to ten are VERY helpful with info. I am planning to hit this park on July 13th so all the guidance is appreciated.

Are there any rides or particular spots on rides that should be avoided due to being painful or anything like that? I ask mainly as I am aware of certain coaster nicknames such as ball-breakers of Green Lantern (which I will certainly steer clear of when I visit that park) or the former Mantis, which is now the improved Rou.

So according to what I read hit Goliath and Raging Bull first and the rest should be more smooth sailing unless it is a super crowded day.

So how would people on here prioritize rides beyond Goliath and Raging Bull. I read recommendations to sit in back of both Raging and Demon.... Any other particular seating recommendations on other rides?

Thanks!

From what I've heard the blue train on American eagle will be double rides all season also

This is true. At my visit last week, the blue side opened about 2:00, and you had the option of staying on for a second ride all day. I think this means an end to racing though. Viper also offered double rides the last hour of operation.

So how would people on here prioritize rides beyond Goliath and Raging Bull. I read recommendations to sit in back of both Raging and Demon.... Any other particular seating recommendations on other rides?

Viper can get a pretty big line around hurricane harbors opening and closing time, and it doesn't move the quickest (2 train operation).

The flumes get extremely crowded at midday

S:UF should be ridden right after Goliath due to its slow loading- the shortest it'll be is right then

If you see a large line for TDK come back later- it'll be short. Same goes for Whizzer and demon

Vipers line is decieving. Once you get into the station you have another 15 minute wait. There never a grouper so there's always at least 10 people in each row. I always just stop and let multiple trains pass through til I decide my row

Also,

I prefer back on Viper and American Eagle

No way I can go through all 900 pages of this thread, but even just the most recent five to ten are VERY helpful with info. I am planning to hit this park on July 13th so all the guidance is appreciated.

Are there any rides or particular spots on rides that should be avoided due to being painful or anything like that? I ask mainly as I am aware of certain coaster nicknames such as ball-breakers of Green Lantern (which I will certainly steer clear of when I visit that park) or the former Mantis, which is now the improved Rou.

So according to what I read hit Goliath and Raging Bull first and the rest should be more smooth sailing unless it is a super crowded day.

Thanks!

The only really painful rides i can think of is batman can be a headbanger if you don't hold your head steady through the corkscrews/zero g roll, and eagles helix's can get a bit rough but nothing too bad.

Thanks everyone! It is so wonderful to be connected to enthusiasts who are informative on said issues. I created a little pocket guide of coaster info for Cedar Point before going thanks to a friend who is an enthusiast. Taking notes on all your comments, as well.

Cheers!

Hey all, I just visited Six Flags Great America for the first time this past Sunday, June 7th, figured I would post a quick review. Overall we had a great day at the park, the crowds were light due to the rain in the morning, so we really lucked out. All the coasters had waits within their stations but nothing too crazy. The only rides we had to wait longer for were Goliath, which had a 30 minute wait, the Dark Knight Coaster, which had a 20 minute wait, and Whizzer, which had a 30 minute wait. The operations were by far the worst I have ever seen at any park I have been to, every coaster was stacking and it seemed like the staff wasn't well trained and didn't care about what they were doing. I saw a few Goliath trains leave the station with 4-6 empty seats because the worker who assigns seats was too busy talking with the female guests. We were very fortunate to have come on a day with light crowds otherwise this would have been very frustrating.

Coaster reviews with ratings:

-American Eagle (2 times) - Really enjoyed this ride, was able to ride it consecutively because there was no wait. 7/10

-Batman the Ride (1 time) - This ride has aged very well, was forceful and fun like all other BTR coasters. 8/10

-Dark Knight Coaster (1 time) - After going to Universal very recently, the themeing on this ride seemed kind of corny and cheap. It's a nice ride for what it is. 6/10

-Demon (1 time) - The smoothest Arrow coaster I have been on, the tunnel with the lights after the loops was a nice surprise 7/10

-Goliath (3 times) - Best coaster in the park, the first drop is absolutely amazing and you get some great airtime. This was my first RMC coaster, I was surprised at how smooth it was. Wish the ride was just a little longer. 10/10

-Raging Bull (2 times) - The first time we rode this, it felt very rough and I didn't have a good ride at all. I rode it later in the day and it was better but besides the first drop it didn't really do much for me, overall it is one of my least favorite hypers. 7/10

-Vertical Velocity (1 time) - I have ridden it's clone at my home park many times (Steel Venom- Valleyfair), I always have a fun time on this ride. This one doesn't have the holding break operating on the back spike like Steel Venom though. 7/10

-Viper (1 time) - Some nice pops of airtime, but the turn-arounds are a little rough. I liked how they slow down the lift hill once you reach the top. Not that special of a ride though. 6/10

-Whizzer(1 time) - This was a nice surprise, really had a great time on this, wish there were more of these coasters around. 8/10

-Superman Ultimate Flight (1 time) - I find the pretzel loop as one of the most intense inversions, the rest of the ride is kind of boring. 7/10

- X Flight (2 times) - This was my first time on a B&M wing rider, I don't understand the hate for this ride. The ride is very enjoyable and re-rideable, and the area around the ride is beautiful. 9/10

I will be posting a full trip report later, but the summary is that it was extremely busy (After about noon, everything had a 45 - 90 minute wait.).

Goliath was awesome, only had a 15 minute wait. When I y off the ride it has jumped to 90 minutes, so I only got 1 Ride. But it was awesome.

Raging Bull was incredible. I got the back seat, and it was awesome.

Basically, Goliath is my new favorite wood, and Raging Bull is my new favorite steel.

Had a great "Six Flags" day.

I'm making a trip out to Six Flags Great America from twin cities first weekend of August what are some good motels or hotels close by around $60 a night? Does Gurnee have any for that price or are they expenssive and what are the crowds like first week in August. I'm also doing the fast lane this time thanks.

^ We stayed at the Ramada in Waukegan. It was in renovations last year and we got a great deal that you won't get now that the renovations are done. But the location is great, about 10 minutes from the park, and it's easy to go down Washington St. to the back entrance through American Eagle. Good breakfast too, and they change it every day. We were there for a week and each day had something new.

Went to the park yesterday, Tuesday June 9th.

Rides

-Orbit

-King Chaos

-Loggers Run

-Roaring Rapids

-Whirligig

Coasters

-Superman - Twice

-Goliath - Twice

-American Eagle - Twice

-Vertical Velocity - Twice

-Raging Bull

It wasn't as crowded as I anticipated it being with the bring a friend for free deal. Overall, it was a pretty decent visit.

Went to the park yesterday, Tuesday June 9th.

Rides

-Orbit

-King Chaos

-Loggers Run

-Roaring Rapids

-Whirligig

Coasters

-Superman - Twice

-Goliath - Twice

-American Eagle - Twice

-Vertical Velocity - Twice

-Raging Bull

It wasn't as crowded as I anticipated it being with the bring a friend for free deal. Overall, it was a pretty decent visit.

Is the bring a friend for free a one time deal?

Is the bring a friend for free a one time deal?

Each season pass holder gets 2 "bring a friend free " days (3 if you're a gold pass holder). The dates are as follows:

Free ticket #1: Pick one day June 3 thru 5 or June 8 thru 12

Gold passholder bonus ticket: pick one day July 6 thru 10

Free ticket #2 Pick one day August 18 thru 21

Friend using the free ticket must enter with the season pass holder when the season pass holder initially enters the park that day. The season pass holder cannot enter the park, leave, and then re-enter to bring the friend in for free.

Viper can get a pretty big line around hurricane harbors opening and closing time, and it doesn't move the quickest (2 train operation).

S:UF should be ridden right after Goliath due to its slow loading- the shortest it'll be is right then

If you see a large line for TDK come back later- it'll be short. Same goes for Whizzer and demon

Vipers line is decieving. Once you get into the station you have another 15 minute wait. There never a grouper so there's always at least 10 people in each row. I always just stop and let multiple trains pass through til I decide my row

Also,

Absolutely wrong in my experience at Viper. It's deceivingly short line. There's always been a grouper and even with the line spilling into the midway it was only30 minutes.

Also,

Absolutely wrong in my experience at Viper. It's deceivingly short line. There's always been a grouper and even with the line spilling into the midway it was only30 minutes.

Yeah, Viper was deceiving short, the sign said 45 minutes, and the line looked really long, but it didn't take that long to get on.

Another thing that was awesome, is that they didn't pack the station until is was completely full! My biggest complaint with the park is that there were always so many people in the station. It was crowded and confusing in all of the stations except for Goliath, Viper, and Raging Bull.

I think viper is a very under rated coaster.

With that being said, the exit path for the ride is brutally long.

Viper was a surprise, and a good one from our visit.

At least the exit path isn't as long as American Eagle's entrance.

Hello, I'm new on the TPR forums as a member, but I have been a reader for a while. Anyways I have planned a trip to Great America this Sunday or Monday, I have heard that Goliath has been down and I was wondering if maybe it was up an running by then, I have contacted the park with my concerns on Goliath and they have said that they are doing everything they can, apparently in a storm some cables were frayed or something similar to that. Thanks Again!

I think viper is a very under rated coaster.

With that being said, the exit path for the ride is brutally long.

Viper used to be an underrated coaster, in my opinion, but in recent years operations seem to be slacking off, which makes it not worth the wait.