TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Judging from the reception of the JLBFM additions at SFOT and SFStL I think it would be a safe bet that we could see these Dark Rides installed at other Parks in the chain. I'm wondering if SFGAm would be one of the Parks, because a Dark Ride is something it really could use, but I'm curious if it would be considered too close to SFStL?

I'm not sure whether or not I can see them getting one, but if they do then the old Ragin Cajun area would be perfect. Right now that area is basically unoccupied, but I don't know how much space JLBFM requires.

I'm not sure that the size of that space would be large enough, but it sure would be a great addition!

I wanna go to this park over summer but the operations look awful. Everything I read about Goliath says that it has a 2 hour wait and everything in the park has a long line... If it's this bad then I have no interest in going here... But I have a Six Flags season pass so why the hell not... Also, has anyone done a trip to this park, Cedar Point and Kings Island from Florida? I'm thinking about adding it to the trip since I have the Six Flags pass.

I wanna go to this park over summer but the operations look awful. Everything I read about Goliath says that it has a 2 hour wait and everything in the park has a long line... If it's this bad then I have no interest in going here... But I have a Six Flags season pass so why the hell not... Also, has anyone done a trip to this park, Cedar Point and Kings Island from Florida? I'm thinking about adding it to the trip since I have the Six Flags pass.

I've been on goliath twice today with 30 and 45 minute waits. Its all about what day you go on. Operations are iffy, but if crowds are light you don't really notice it.

Judging from the reception of the JLBFM additions at SFOT and SFStL I think it would be a safe bet that we could see these Dark Rides installed at other Parks in the chain. I'm wondering if SFGAm would be one of the Parks, because a Dark Ride is something it really could use, but I'm curious if it would be considered too close to SFStL?

I'm not sure whether or not I can see them getting one, but if they do then the old Ragin Cajun area would be perfect. Right now that area is basically unoccupied, but I don't know how much space JLBFM requires.

The space that Dark Knight is in would have been ideal for a JLBFM. For some reason I could see a clone of Batman at Fiesta Texas in the Ragin' Cajun site.

^ I would send it to The Great Escape but that's me. Good replacement for Nightmare?

You never want to experience the pain caused from that ride.

If you're a normal sized human, you get bruised like crazy

Haven't been back to the park yet but I've gotten a couple reports from someone who has and the crowds have been typical for May and June meaning that there's not a ton of waiting. From the recent Yelp reviews, all of which seem to be 1 star, it looks like the food lines are as bad as last year. Hour long waits and all. Doesn't seem like the employees anywhere in the park have a clue what they're doing. Great America is only worth visiting if you get light lines and competent employees. Still don't get the Goliath hype. We're talking about a ride that is significantly shorter than the already short Batman and X-Flight. There are way too many Great America ads out there now. Do not be surprised if wait times are completely obscene again once mid-July hits. It was just an absolute disgrace that this place sold so many flash passes last year that the only way to have a good experience on a lot of days was to fork out for Platinum passes for everyone(or you'll be counting 200-300 flash passers bypassing you on rides where you can see them, such as X-Flight). If you're coming from Florida, the experience here is going to be a huge disappointment compared to Busch or Sea World, even if SFGAM has the superior ride collection. Haven't been to Cedar in 3 years, but the lines were only really bad if they closed rides due to wind or rain(which they did). There was always a few things you could ride without waiting long, coasters or flats. At SFGAM a lot of the time you'll be lucky to ride any coaster without a 60+ min wait.

The wait times could be much better if SF had operations up to par with the Florida parks. If they cut flash pass sales, it might be downright manageable most of the time. If you're going to King's and Cedar, there's probably even less incentive to come here. SFGAM has a good level of consistent quality where most everything is worth riding, but I don't think it has something akin to big, eccentric attractions like Manta, Maverick, Millennium Force, Kraken, Sheikra, Montu, Banshee, Dragster, Gatekeeper, etc. The rides here are more compact, straightforward, and humble. Collectively I'd take SFGAM's collection over Cedar or any of the Florida parks, but it's still a far inferior experience overall.

Yep, it's sad that the park is going downhill in terms of operations and customer experience. I visited Six Flags Great America in 2013 and 2014, and while I had a great time on the rides, the operations were noticeably slower in 2014. Batman: The Ride was running two trains during my last visit, but the operations were so slow that you'd think that they were only running one train. Goliath was also constantly stacking, which really isn't acceptable for a ride that had a three-hour wait time posted. If the park was under better management, hopefully it would be a much nicer overall experience.

Yep, it's sad that the park is going downhill in terms of operations and customer experience. I visited Six Flags Great America in 2013 and 2014, and while I had a great time on the rides, the operations were noticeably slower in 2014. Batman: The Ride was running two trains during my last visit, but the operations were so slow that you'd think that they were only running one train. Goliath was also constantly stacking, which really isn't acceptable for a ride that had a three-hour wait time posted. If the park was under better management, hopefully it would be a much nicer overall experience.

We went 3 times last year and did not experience any more problems than we would encounter at most other amusement parks. As a matter of fact, we had more fun at this park than we had at cedar point.

The service was typical of a theme park (cedar fair, six flags, merlin, ect). With the exception of Goliath, most ride lines moved steady.

Goliath is an extremly short ride though, and when I was there last year they kept having problems with the restrains, it's not like they weren't trying.

It's interesting hearing the very mixed reviews about this park, I'm heading to Chicago on June 24th and since I'll be so close I'll be heading to Great America on June 25th. Trying to make the best of our time my friend & I budgeted out to get platinum flash passes even if it's only one reservation for Goliath. Any advise on tackling the park, other than b-lining straight for Goliath first thing in the morning?

I remember seeing a post here that said there would be double rides on American Eagle this summer, did this turn out to be true?

Each coaster and some of the major rides at SFGAm will be getting their own week of "celebrations". This would include double rides during the last hour of each day. B:TR and Viper's weeks have already come and gone but here is the list for the rest of the season.

https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/attractions/40-seasons/event-schedule

So American' Eagle's is the week of July 20th.

It's interesting hearing the very mixed reviews about this park, I'm heading to Chicago on June 24th and since I'll be so close I'll be heading to Great America on June 25th. Trying to make the best of our time my friend & I budgeted out to get platinum flash passes even if it's only one reservation for Goliath. Any advise on tackling the park, other than b-lining straight for Goliath first thing in the morning?

A couple little things that might help;

Upon entering go right for the fastest way to goliath.

If you have a six flags gold pass, there is a gold pass early entry by customer services to the right of the standard entry. This should help you beat the General Public to Goliath.

Stay away from southwest territory from 12:15-1:00 as that is where the hurricane harbor entrance is and it often pulls a crowd upon its opening at 12:30.

Revolution is a really fun flat ride that should not be missed, unless your not a fan of spinning.

Screams and dreams (playing in the pictorium) is pretty cool to see if you are interested.

The lines for food are usually longer then the lines for the rides, so id suggest bringing a cooler in your car and eating in the parking lot. However If you want the park food, id suggest eating at mooseburger near the go karts, or get the spaghetti at Angelos by batman (you get almost 5 pounds of greasy spaghetti goodness).

If you get the chance, whizzer gives a fairly superb night ride that you shan't miss out on.

Save The Dark Night for mid-day as the Chicago area can get very hot late June and it works as a nice cool down.

Raging bull last row is a must.

Definitely Don't skip out on the demon, it has one of the best drops in the park if you sit in the back.

Goliath's wait this year hasn't usually been too long so far, the longest I've seen it so far this year is an hour. On average its been 30-45 minutes every time i've gone so far.

Goliath will be hosting double rides during the last hour of park operation so if that sounds interesting to you then head over there around 8:30 or so.

The train gives some cool views and is a must ride if you have time.

Park operations are pretty bad but shouldn't ruin your day unless you let them. Have fun!

A couple little things that might help;

Upon entering go right for the fastest way to goliath.

If you have a six flags gold pass, there is a gold pass early entry by customer services to the right of the standard entry. This should help you beat the General Public to Goliath.

Stay away from southwest territory from 12:15-1:00 as that is where the hurricane harbor entrance is and it often pulls a crowd upon its opening at 12:30.

Revolution is a really fun flat ride that should not be missed, unless your not a fan of spinning.

Screams and dreams (playing in the pictorium) is pretty cool to see if you are interested.

The lines for food are usually longer then the lines for the rides, so id suggest bringing a cooler in your car and eating in the parking lot. However If you want the park food, id suggest eating at mooseburger near the go karts, or get the spaghetti at Angelos by batman (you get almost 5 pounds of greasy spaghetti goodness).

If you get the chance, whizzer gives a fairly superb night ride that you shan't miss out on.

Save The Dark Night for mid-day as the Chicago area can get very hot late June and it works as a nice cool down.

Raging bull last row is a must.

Definitely Don't skip out on the demon, it has one of the best drops in the park if you sit in the back.

Goliath's wait this year hasn't usually been too long so far, the longest I've seen it so far this year is an hour. On average its been 30-45 minutes every time i've gone so far.

Goliath will be hosting double rides during the last hour of park operation so if that sounds interesting to you then head over there around 8:30 or so.

The train gives some cool views and is a must ride if you have time.

Park operations are pretty bad but shouldn't ruin your day unless you let them. Have fun!

Thanks for all of the advise! I don't plan on watching any shows but I will go and ride Revolution (was already gonna hit all the coasters). Oh here's a question, can you ride Little Dipper without a child?