TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I'm seriously wondering if that means Demon is leaving as well. But I mean, the park has gotten two major coasters in the past three years, so I'm doubting whatever is coming is going to take up that large of a footprint.

You didn't watch the video, I gather. They were very clear that Demon is NOT leaving in 2015, and from the way they were speaking about it, it didn't sound like they have any plan to take it down any time in the near future.

In the choose your path video today, it was announced that the ropes course next to the demon will be removed.

Good! I hate pay rides. Now they need to scrap the Go Karts and Dare Devil Dive (At least the Go Karts)

Unless they're just taking it out to put in another upcharge thing. Doesn't feel like Six Flags to remove something that makes them money.

I'm seriously wondering if that means Demon is leaving as well. But I mean, the park has gotten two major coasters in the past three years, so I'm doubting whatever is coming is going to take up that large of a footprint.

You didn't watch the video, I gather. They were very clear that Demon is NOT leaving in 2015, and from the way they were speaking about it, it didn't sound like they have any plan to take it down any time in the near future.

Nope, I did not. But I'm glad that Demon doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. It's a really unique coaster.

It's occurred to me that every single one of these videos could be misdirection, and the announcement could have nothing to do with any of the attractions they are looking at.

Sky Trail's parcel of land isn't all that big. I'd be more focused on the land over by where Ragin' Cajun used to sit. They just opened up a ton of space over there. They could put in a big flat right there. Maybe a Screamin' Swing. It's about time Six Flags gets one of those for a park.

Sorry for coming out of the blue, but Goliath at SF GA isn't the tallest wooden rollercoaster. Heck it isn't even the tallest in the country! I'm probably not the first coming up with this, but I still wonder why they were allowed to 'claim it as the tallest wooden roller coasterin the world!?

^I know, that really bugs me as well, i guess because it has the tallest drop they can therefore call it the tallest wooden coaster.

Few thought I was the only one bugging about that lol! But i think you're right. Anyway Goliath seems an awesome rollercoaster, maybe a tad short, but that zero g stall just blows my mind . What is the best place to seat? Front or back?

What is the best place to seat? Front or back?

Any seat on Goliath is a great seat, but sit in the back if you really want a wild ride.

Thanks!, I usually take the back seat, prefer the ejector air (if there is any) on the first drop.

Sorry for coming out of the blue, but Goliath at SF GA isn't the tallest wooden rollercoaster. Heck it isn't even the tallest in the country! I'm probably not the first coming up with this, but I still wonder why they were allowed to 'claim it as the tallest wooden roller coasterin the world!?

They claim tallest drop in a lot of their marketing too, so they are well aware it is not the tallest structure, but who cares if other rides have taller climbs but smaller drops? The drop is what matters!

"Allowed"? Parks can pretty much claim whatever they want, who's going to stop them? Sort of like how SFGAm is also the "Cleanest Park In The Country"

This has probably been asked before but does anyone know of the chances that SFGA will get some type of dark ride? We visited this park for the first time over 4th of July weekend. I enjoyed the park but wish they had a dark ride. I know that The Dark Knight could be considered or probably is considered a dark ride, but I prefer more traditional type of dark rides, such as the Monster Mansion at SFOG (was the Monster Plantation when I last rode it). I think I read an article once that seemed to suggest that Six Flag St. Louis could be making a Justice League interactive dark ride (replacing the Scooby Doo ride). Does anyone think a ride like that could happen here?

When I was at the park, I looked at the area that the old Ragin' Cajun used to sit ( Believe it or not - I still haven't rode it at my home park of Six Flags America yet, but it's coming), and I was thinking to myself what sort of ride can Six Flags Great America put in there? It cannot be a small coaster because they already have a wild mouse coaster they call "The Dark Knight" and putting in a flat won't do it any justice ( I mean the area already has a few flats, plus the entrance to their water canyon raft ride). Then I recalled that this park doesn't have a dark ride, and this would be perfect if they could match it up to the scenery they left behind after dismantling the Ragin' Cajun.

Then what sort of dark ride could this be? It could have a haunted theme, or maybe a Mardi Gras theme. Here's a crazy idea - How about a clone of Six Flags over Georgia's "Monster Plantation"? Or if they decided on using the Justice League theme, then the story must involve the superheroes battling the evil villains during Mardi Gras. Hey, I would make extra plans and pains to return to Six Flags Great America if they went that route. Shoot, anything would be better than to see an empty area where an exciting ride used to be, and no one wants to be depressed seeing that vacant lot while at an amusement park.

Oh, let the speculations commence . . .

A Throwback Thursday video? Time Machine relocation CONFIRMED.

I have a hypothesis: the original time machine will be placed at SFGAM while a clone will be built at SFFT ("world's 1st clone of the timeless attraction, Time Machine").

This has probably been asked before but does anyone know of the chances that SFGA will get some type of dark ride? We visited this park for the first time over 4th of July weekend. I enjoyed the park but wish they had a dark ride. I know that The Dark Knight could be considered or probably is considered a dark ride, but I prefer more traditional type of dark rides, such as the Monster Mansion at SFOG (was the Monster Plantation when I last rode it). I think I read an article once that seemed to suggest that Six Flag St. Louis could be making a Justice League interactive dark ride (replacing the Scooby Doo ride). Does anyone think a ride like that could happen here?

A focus group survey I took from the park online months ago asked my preferences for a new dark ride as a future attraction, and it was mentioned several times in the survey, so I think it is a real possibility for the near future and something the park really needs.

Around April or May of this year while they were still working on Goliath, I remember hearing something from an insider at SFGAm that once they were done with Goliath, they'd be turning their attention to American Eagle. They didn't say anything about that rumored iron-horse treatment on one side, but considering RMC is only going to be working on MM and NE this season, that kind of rules out a (desperately needed) rehabbing of American Eagle. Besides, SFGAm would've made an announcement about American Eagle closing if this were the case.

My speculation? Possibly an interactive dark ride, maybe where the Pictorium is. (Or where Ragin Cajun used to be...or if they wanted to gut out the Dark Knight Coaster...ugh...) Especially if we're playing into this "choose your path" thing the teaser videos have been doing. And these teasers are kind of annoying me. People really think the choices at the end of the video mean that SFGAm will be getting rid of one of those attractions, but you're supposed to be voting for what you want to hear the scoop about. This whole thing is a scavenger hunt, really. It doesn't mean they'll be getting rid of Buccaneer Battle or Aunt Martha's Boarding House or the Pictorium or whatever. If you try clicking on both links, they both just take you straight to SFGAm's Google+ page. The votes don't really matter. What matters are the hints they're dropping. And based off of the hints ("choose your path," mentioning a "signature ride," mentioning a "neighbor," and that Throwback Thursday video), I'd be inclined to say American Eagle would be getting that overhaul, but it probably won't happen this upcoming season. (More than likely for 2016 when the park celebrates its 40th anniversary.) I don't see them bringing back an old ride. It'd be cool if they could re-theme the Demon back into Turn of the Century, but I don't see them taking out the loops just to bring the airtime hills back. You might as well just take Demon out entirely and replace it with something brand spanking new, but they already said that isn't happening.

So....hard to tell, really. I'd hate to get my hopes up and have their announcement be for some lame show (*cough*igNight*cough*).

What type of crowds should I expect during weekends in September?

Well, first thing to keep in mind is that they're only open the 6th and 7th, then they're closed until Fright Fest starts on the 27th. In my past experience, that last weekend of normal operation is usually pretty dead (at least compared to Fright Fest). I would expect the first weekend of Fright Fest to probably be busier, but less crowded than later in Fright Fest would be.