TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Anybody know if there is a grouper at the station telling you where to sit? After waiting this long I'm hoping we get to choose where to sit.

Yes, there is a grouper on Goliath. It's how they're keeping the single rider line operating smoothly.

Hank seems to be following Cedar Fair's example and is phasing groupers and single rider lines into the park. I guess all of those surveys I took really did get through.

Anybody know if there is a grouper at the station telling you where to sit? After waiting this long I'm hoping we get to choose where to sit.

Yes, there is a grouper on Goliath. It's how they're keeping the single rider line operating smoothly.

Hank seems to be following Cedar Fair's example and is phasing groupers and single rider lines into the park. I guess all of those surveys I took really did get through.

We were actually able to choose our own seats today. I chose the back row and was super happy about it.

Goliath was a pretty good ride. The drop and zero-G stall were amazing. The rest of the elements were okay, but nothing to write home about. It'll most definitely end up in my top 5, but Outlaw Run has it beat and the Voyage is probably going to remain #2 as well. It's probably the best ride in the park, though.

Edit: My last visit to the park was in 2010. I took a night ride on Raging Bull and was completely blown away. I put it as #1 on my steel list. Over the years, I've kind of forgotten how much I loved it, and it dropped more than a couple spots down my list.

I got to ride it again today. I love the first drop (even though Goliath's is slightly better), and the layout has great potential. Even the trim brakes didn't bother me at all. The only thing holding Raging Bull back from my #1 spot is it's rattle. It rattled A LOT.

But I think I'm going to move it back up a few spots, because it has a great layout and some nice airtime.

So if you literally spread out entering the single rider line (group member #1 walks up .... member #2 waits a 15 MISSISSIPPI then walks up .... then member #3 strolls in a few beats later), that's ok? If they can "tell" you're together, that's a no-go? Really?

I've actually wondered about this, as I could imagine me and my friends/family just choosing to go to the single rider line together...and wondered why "everyone" wouldn't do this?

This is an interesting topic I don't think I've seen discussed.....the park is leaving it up to a 16 year-old attendant to make the judgment call/to tell people "no" when an obvious group shows up to save some time in the single rider line?

We were actually able to choose our own seats today. I chose the back row and was super happy about it.

Goliath was a pretty good ride. The drop and zero-G stall were amazing. The rest of the elements were okay, but nothing to write home about. It'll most definitely end up in my top 5, but Outlaw Run has it beat and the Voyage is probably going to remain #2 as well. It's probably the best ride in the park, though.

Edit: My last visit to the park was in 2010. I took a night ride on Raging Bull and was completely blown away. I put it as #1 on my steel list. Over the years, I've kind of forgotten how much I loved it, and it dropped more than a couple spots down my list.

I got to ride it again today. I love the first drop (even though Goliath's is slightly better), and the layout has great potential. Even the trim brakes didn't bother me at all. The only thing holding Raging Bull back from my #1 spot is it's rattle. It rattled A LOT.

But I think I'm going to move it back up a few spots, because it has a great layout and some nice airtime.

Raging BUll was the 2nd B&M hyper so what do expect. I like Behemonth at CW better.

As for Goliath, the drop and zero-G stall were the only good parts, but the rest of the ride was crappy. It's probably #5 (3 HW woodies and The Beast beat it out.)

^^Where did you sit? I normally go near the back of the train and notice no rattle at all. Maybe bull has a bad train just like Nitro's "C" train?

We rode in the second to last row of the blue train. The rattle was very noticeable.

^^Where did you sit? I normally go near the back of the train and notice no rattle at all. Maybe bull has a bad train just like Nitro's "C" train?

We rode in the second to last row of the blue train. The rattle was very noticeable.

Interesting. It's usually pretty smooth there. I don't know what was going on.

Was at the park today from 10:40 till 8 and boy was my first time riding goliath a chore. For starters the line when we chose to wait was halfway through the overflow queue posted wait of 2 hours seemed reasonable...

So about when we entered the only covered section of the line (BS by the way) the ride operator announced hat goliath would be suffering a temporary delay in operations, to this I said ok looks like there cleaning up a protein spill of something stupid not a long delay. Then the orange train was parked on the transfer dropped down and stayed there for an hour. At the.end of which it was put back on and after 15 minutes of testing opened, and immediately back to Goliath is experiencing a temporary delay in operation. At his point we'd waited 2 hours and we were just leaving the covered switchbacks. The next hour goliath occasionaly tested and waited for who knows what. Finnaly after three hours it was time for some serious payoff.

Goliath

Grade flippin A, close to perfect

The ride is spectacular from start to finish I was impressed at how good it was for such a short ride. But just like Batman it's such intensity and pacing that it leaves you feeling more thrilled in half the time as say Raging bulls experience. Aside from the wait I thought goliath was a fantastic addition and a worthy top tier ride.

The rest of the park in order

Grade equals my enjoyment nothing more

Demon

Grade C, and that's generous you old coot

So in past visits I have always enjoyed demon with no issues, but today's back car ride showed some uncomfortability. I tottaly rode defensively and didn't receive any blows but my neck on the corkscrews felt it good qnd wrenched. Overall I'd like to see it replaced with something middle of the road entry level looper with the same theme and tunnels, I'll only ride if it has a no existent wait.

X-Flight

Grade A, a flight worth takeing

The shorter wait then any of the other major attractions is somewhat worrying to park managment I'm sure. But this ride is great I love the pacing and all the elements felt right where they should be and the vests didn't constrict badly there's a plus

American Eagle (Blue)

Grade B, last best of its kind (at least at six flags parks)(le monstre doesn't count)

I don't know what was going on but they raced trains consistently and it was glorious. Unfortunately the blue side was shorter and my party gravitated there so I had to tag along. Top 3 drop now in third place behind raging bull and newcomer goliath, i love me some eagle and I also found out that from entrance to air gate is 506 steps!

Batman: The Ride

Grade A, like a fully steel, inverting, older, goliath.

Reap the whirlwind of fury in such a short order but brilliantly paced to satisfy In so little space and time. Longer wait than X-Flight shows people can still dig balls to the walls inversion fests with no gimmicks. So fast and smooth even after 22 years I found batman in the top 3 rides of the day along with Goliath and raging bull hell of a performance from the oldest B&M

Loggers Run

grade B-, not as fun as yankee clipper but has a nice shaded covered queue and a decent level of wetness

Yankee Clipper

grade B+, more wetness due to that huge spray at the bottom of the drop figuring a good soakin.

Roaring Rapids

Grade A-, I never have gone on this before today but since we were soaked already we thought one last water ride couldn't hurt. Boy did I not expect the soaking cold water pouring over gunwales of the raft thouroghly enjoyed.

Raging Bull

Grade A+, Bull is king!

The new kid may have all the Buzzword features; hybrid wood construction, inversions, worlds fastest, worlds steepest and all the hooplah a ride with that pedigree has. But that can't top this thourougy enjoyable ride that was well operated and just the best. The ride was blazeing throughout both trims hit and they should've, I did feel the rattle and shimmy but it had no effect at all on me. Bull is the undefeated king of SFGAM for another decade until we get a major coaster

And that's all she wrote, and quite a lot was wrote trip report writing is addictive it just flows like no other writing topic.

So uhh -End Transmission- if that's not to corny.

Demon

I love that old coot. It's an old-fashioned 20th century looper living in a 21st century world of silky-smooth B&M's and carefully calculated Intamins. I appreciate Arrow loopers because they provide a unique rider experience. A little more unrestricted and raw.

Glad you had a good visit!

Edited by Duff

I was able to ride Goliath on Monday, and my advice to anyone near the park is to get there early.

We showed up around 10am, lines packed beyond the metal detectors. Around 10:15 they let people into the park. When this happens... RUN (or briskly walk). They don't walk you to the ride in an organized group like they do at Great Adventure.

We were able to line up and the ride started operating around 10:25. Total wait ~40mins. Get there early and you can enjoy this beast.

Demon

I love that old coot.

Ha! I love Demon, too. When I take non-coaster-nerd friends to the park, they always want to ride the B&Ms. So we do, then I say "now let me show you some REAL roller coasters." Off we go to Eagle, Whizzer and Demon.

So grateful we have Whizzer It's one of the crown jewels of the chain.

Can you elaborate on this for me? I have seen you and others say this time and time again, but I simply do not understand. Whizzer is a smooth, fun ride for me but nothing I would write home about. Is there something I am missing here that others see? The same can be said about any Anton's really.

Can some one give me more details about this, https://www.sixflags.com/national/sweetapalooza Thanks

Not much to tell besides what's on the page. It's similar to what Discover has done a couple times this year. They pick a couple rides to stay open after park closing. Anyone with a wristband can ride those rides. Print out the voucher and exchange it for a wristband at the indicated time. The only mystery is what rides will stay open.

Can you elaborate on this for me? I have seen you and others say this time and time again, but I simply do not understand. Whizzer is a smooth, fun ride for me but nothing I would write home about. Is there something I am missing here that others see? The same can be said about any Anton's really.

One, its a Schwarzkopf, and as you now Schwarzkopf is no more. Two, its an ACE Coaster Landmark. Three, its one of only two Schwarzkopf Speedracers remaining, the other one is in Colombia and has been relocated from Worlds of Fun. Four, it runs amazing for being 38 years old. Five, its an original to Great America. Six, Whizzer and the now defunct Whizzer of California's Great America were the last two jet races built. Seven, if you ask anybody who has visited the park staring as a kid or maybe not even, the will say that Whizzer wad their first roller coaster. Eight, we almost lost Whizzer over 10 years ago, but luckily we didn't, and it is here to stay.

Demon

So in past visits I have always enjoyed demon with no issues, but today's back car ride showed some uncomfortability. I tottaly rode defensively and didn't receive any blows but my neck on the corkscrews felt it good qnd wrenched. Overall I'd like to see it replaced with something middle of the road entry level looper with the same theme and tunnels, I'll only ride if it has a no existent wait.

X-Flight

Grade A, a flight worth takeing

The shorter wait then any of the other major attractions is somewhat worrying to park managment I'm sure. But this ride is great I love the pacing and all the elements felt right where they should be and the vests didn't constrict badly there's a plus

Demon has been a favorite among many for decades. Unfortunately this year it just doesn't seem to be running well. The park has done a fantastic job keeping this oldie in decent condition and even though it still runs better than most Arrow loopers out there, it may be nearing its end.

As for X-Flight, I've always wondered why the line is never full compared to the other coasters in the park. I've been to the park probably about 20 times since X-Flight opened in 2012 and I've only seen the entire queue filled up maybe two or three times within that span while others coasters like Bull, Superman, Batman, Viper, ect. are usually out of the entrance. The capacity isn't as bad as Superman, but it's not great either so fast loading times can't really be the answer. It's a fun, smooth ride but the line never seems to fill up even on the busiest days. Not that I'm complaining or anything (hooray for shorter lines!) but I've always found that strange.

^I also find it strange that X flight never seems to build up a line. It's usually only 20 - 30 minutes for that nice, good coaster, which is great! Also, I really do find Demon to be fun. I rode it ten times in a row a few weeks back as a part of the "Ten Demon Challenge". It was a little dizzying on the last ride, but fun (I got to stay on the same train, because there was no line).

Next time I go, I will definitely have to give Whizzer at night a ride, due to the hype about it. It seems like some people really like it!

One, its a Schwarzkopf, and as you now Schwarzkopf is no more. Two, its an ACE Coaster Landmark. Three, its one of only two Schwarzkopf Speedracers remaining, the other one is in Colombia and has been relocated from Worlds of Fun. Four, it runs amazing for being 38 years old. Five, its an original to Great America. Six, Whizzer and the now defunct Whizzer of California's Great America were the last two jet races built. Seven, if you ask anybody who has visited the park staring as a kid or maybe not even, the will say that Whizzer wad their first roller coaster. Eight, we almost lost Whizzer over 10 years ago, but luckily we didn't, and it is here to stay.

Alright, so it has lots of nostalgia behind it, though I don't see how that makes it a "crown jewel" of the chain. When I here that term I think of coasters like Bizzaro, New Texas Giant, El Toro, and even Great America's Goliath, not Whizzer...

Alright, so it has lots of nostalgia behind it, though I don't see how that makes it a "crown jewel" of the chain. When I here that term I think of coasters like Bizzaro, New Texas Giant, El Toro, and even Great America's Goliath, not Whizzer...

That dude really likes Schwarzkopf rides. Like really likes them.

Yeah that is kind of my point. I appreciate the nostalgia, but that doesn't make it a super star ride to me.

"Whizzer" is kind of like Cedar Point's "Blue Streak"....it's not the longest, tallest, fastest ride at the park ....etc. etc....but if you were to remove it, a LOT of people would be bummed. I get that Blue Streak actually has airtime, but I am talking from a "nostalgia" standpoint......."Whizzer is the 2nd last of it's kind in the world, and I can ride it if I want with my season pass and a mere hour plus drive away.

Who doesn't love that station that looks like it's something from another century.....surprise, it is~

It has a really good twister layout and it engages the landscape more than any other ride at great america. It flies through trees and along the ground and over water. Really nice. Had it been torn down for superman, allll those trees would have been removed and the whole park would look like x flight. I dont ride it often but i love that whizzer is there. I probably ought to ride it next time im at the park! Its a bit of an escape. And check out how well done the banking is! I challenge yoy to find ONE arrow ride from the same era that banks this accurately and elegantly.