TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Alright... I still need to get on goliath and need to figure out time to go now. Now that more people have gone. Larger riders... If I cleared Top Thrill and MF yesterday can I get on Goliath? Or should I wait and diet. I am losing weight either way. I don't want to waste a drive. Sometimes I think I am 25 and can drive 4 hrs to a park go all day and then drive 4 hrs home, but I can't anymore. 34 is different, I feel young and ready to go, but at the end of the day I am done and need to get a hotel I found out.

LOL, I think many of us are experiencing similar problems as we age, but still ride coasters. My biggest problem is simply standing for an extended time. It really effects my back and I won't wait for any ride longer than 30 minutes. Thanks to line reducing options I have been accustomed to being spoiled, but it's becoming increasingly expensive. A platinum Flash Pass to ride Goliath is $210 for two people!

the air time on Goliath is 10x better than El Toro.

How is that even possible? lol

In my opinion it is haha. Just the length of airtime on Goliath was better than El Toro.

I haven't been on Goliath and I still call shenanigans. El Toro has long, sustained airtime over all of its big hills, and an ejecting "pop" on the hill over Rolling Thunder('s area).

the air time on Goliath is 10x better than El Toro.

How is that even possible? lol

In my opinion it is haha. Just the length of airtime on Goliath was better than El Toro.

I haven't been on Goliath and I still call shenanigans. El Toro has long, sustained airtime over all of its big hills, and an ejecting "pop" on the hill over Rolling Thunder('s area).

I've been on both now. No way, no comparison. Goliath has one good ejector hill and the 1st drop. Anything going else is a pop. El Toro (Skyrush too) is an angry beasts that wants to throw you from the train. Goliath is the kinder, gentler RMC. There's no shame in that.

The best part about Goliath looks to be the hang time in the inversions anyway. It's airtime definitely isn't as long as Toro's. Toro gives a good 3 to 4 seconds of sustained ejector on the big camelhumps. The speed hill on Goliath looks to give about 2 seconds.

The best part about Goliath looks to be the hang time in the inversions anyway. It's airtime definitely isn't as long as Toro's. Toro gives a good 3 to 4 seconds of sustained ejector on the big camelhumps. The speed hill on Goliath looks to give about 2 seconds.

Goliath is all about hang time. The overbanked turn, the dive loop, the zero-g stall, and the overbanked twist and shout. Goliath is the worlds best hangtime coaster and will fight that position.

Goliath is all about hang time. The overbanked turn, the dive loop, the zero-g stall, and the overbanked twist and shout. Goliath is the worlds best hangtime coaster and will fight that position.

It looks wild for sure. I definitely want to get out to Great America to try it soon.

Just rode Goliath. It met my expectations in that I had a decent idea of what it was going to deliver and it did deliver on that. It's just not my fav type of coaster and I'm still trying to get used to the rides again. I was getting such a rush off Viper last year, especially at the end, and it's not giving me much of anything so far even though the ride is riding exactly the same. I probably need a few more visits. Heights and crazy drops have never come natural to me. I am not a big fan of these lap bar cars and I really don't like the fact that there's nothing to hold onto in front or anything to anchor my torso area. It kinda feels like I'm riding a coaster in a seat meant for a movie. They really, really push that bar down farther than on any ride I've been on. The lift hill is slower than I thought and kinda steep and intimidating. I would gladly trade that bar for a shoulder harness or something like Maverick has.

Going on a near vertical hill in that seat feels wild, but that's not something I really look for. Feels like the hills on RB and AE, just more vertical. The elements are cool and all, it just feels like it blazes right through them. The ride itself feels incredibly short. Like if Maverick stopped and didn't launch into the second part.

It's hard to rank it because it is superior to the other coasters at what it does, but as far as being a satisfying ride experience, I'd probably rank it below everything but Pretzelman. Lately I really feel like I want a more epic coaster experience. And definitely a higher number of satisfying inversions along with the variety of elements something like Maverick has. Say 7 inversions for a one minute ride and closer to 10 for a 90 second one. But that's just my personal pref. If you want a short explosive wood style coaster that possesses the type of elements Goliath does, I imagine its the best at what it does.

Goliath's begative g float makes you feel like you are flying/gliding while the momentum and ridiculous amount of speed is still forward, whereas I would say that the air in el toro and new texas giant are much stronger-you feel like you are being flung from a bull. If you were to ride either without a lap bar, i feel like the trajectory of goliath would be to throw you forward toward the dive loop because there is so much momentum and the negative gs arent super strog, whereas on el toro, if you rode without a lap bar, youd just be flung straight up and fall right back down almost exactly where your butt lifted off the seat.

All the elements on giath blend into one giant element. There is no pause anywhere. The introduction to the negative g float is your first and only moment to get your bearings. Here i am, right side up, these are my surroundings- then you ascend toward the dive loop (which is an ascent, a half a zero g roll, and a verryyy long topof a vertical loop, bascally its own zero g stall but half as long) and as you fly toward that element you get this POP /gliding airtime. It makes the tripacross the ride more fun but it isnt a super intense element. It is strong enough and well designed enough to guarantee a negative g float experience sustained for several seconds. You glide along quickly toward the dive loop but oke thing is for sure-you will never be in a seat or on a train in which this element doesnt deliver, whoch can happen on bull and some other rides-elements can be hit or miss.

I was all good till "unforgiving for bigger riders" sounds painful.

Not painful. It is just it may be difficult for the restraints to close on bigger riders. I am pretty sure if you can fit on El Toro, you can ride Goliath. But do not quote me on that.

I've just saw the news report on Goliath and now I know I cannot wait until my vacation time in late July before I fly over there and get a chance to ride my first ever RMC. I'm planning a two-day visit to Six Flags Great America because I know how crowded that park can be ( I mean, I've been there twice, both on a Monday, and the park was CROWD-DED!!!) and I want to try and take on everything. Besides Goliath, I want to ride X-flight and the Whizzer again, plus an assortment of fun-loving flat rides.

I hope it's great because that would really be good, and it's good to be great because that's the best!

the person I was with did not fit on MF 2 years ago, does not fit on X Flight aside from row 4, barely fits on Batman, doesn't fit on V2, and had no issues fitting on Goliath. The crew just kept insisting on pushing the bar down further and further. But they got it. I'm relatively thin and they pushed it down so far that I see why they said no waist packs. There was literally no room left. On the plus side, they monitor the station with a camera for theft so you can feel more secure leaving phones and stuff behind.

Unforgiving restraints? How would it compare to Intamin t-bars in terms of unfriendliness to large riders?

There is friendliness on Outlaw Run and Goliath vs Intamin T-Bars. My cousin always struggles to go on MF or Top Thill, he didn't on Outlaw Run. The lap bars are designed more to form to your leg where the T-Bars seam to be flatter. I hope this helps you!

Ah. I fit on MF and TTD with little trouble, so good.

I don't know if anyone beat me to this, but I saw a picture of the train and the shin guards clearly had grooves in them instead of just a bar.

There was some discussion a couple pages back with pictures. Goliath has the new style restraints. Outlaw Run was also fitted with the new style before the start of this season. Night and day difference with the newer style.Much more comfortable than what I experienced with outlaw Run last year..

So, was anyone at the park when the tornado sirens went off today? We drove through the storm coming home from Indiana.

I was there and the park handled the situation very unprofessionally and honesty did not even care about the park goers and their safety. They did not tell you anything or where to go for safety. Very sad.

One thing to remember is that a lot of people from all over the country were probably at the park to ride Goliath. In most parts of the country nobody would know what a tornado siren was if they heard one or what to do (though heading for a building would be common sense if it looked like it was going to storm even though if it were a serious Tornado a building wouldn't be much help).

As someone from New York I would have no idea what the siren was for and with a ride bringing in people from all over the country / world I would hope they would have clear instructions either over a PA system or from employees like Cedar Point does.

So, was anyone at the park when the tornado sirens went off today? We drove through the storm coming home from Indiana.

I was there and the park handled the situation very unprofessionally and honesty did not even care about the park goers and their safety. They did not tell you anything or where to go for safety. Very sad.

I worked at the park many years ago, and there were a few times that we had some very severe weather (rain, thunder, lightning, tornado sirens going off and the sky did turn green). Several announcements throughout the park were being made and all employees were advised by their supervisors where to direct guests to in order to seek shelter. Sad to hear that it wasn't the case yesterday.