TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Opening ceremonies are so awkward. Like its supposed to be dramatic but its really just funny and then you feel bad.

I'm with you on that one. The gladiators were a nice touch and looked good until they came up close. They just started to pile in and it just looked bad. It would have been much more effective if they marched in to the ride's queue instead of doing some awkward trot/run. I know this is Six Flags, but I feel that if you are going to go with something, they should plan it out first.

It's a little corny but I guess the parks feel like they need to do that stuff. Someone mentioned the train and the train station.....I don't think they've replaced a section of missing track around the Goliath construction yet. They may have in the last couple days...I don't know for sure.

I was able to attend Media Day and had a blast. I only got 3 rides, but it was fascinating to see the behind the scenes stuff with all the news stations and interviews. The wheel issue and the weather made getting a lot of rides difficult as well as the down time between the different news shoots. Some of the enthusiasts there were a little frustrated, and I can understand why, but I was happy to ride before the GP and understand that we were there to facilitate the news, not the other way around.

Now a bit about the ride. I've ridden Outlaw Run and now Goliath. Outlaw Run is the better of the two coasters, but Goliath is significantly more re-ridable in my opinion. The first drop is fantastic and seems to go on for a long time. The over-banked turn gives a couple pops of air time which is a nice surprise. The air time hill gives great ejector air, and the dive loop is nice with a little floating air. The Zero G Stall is the highlight of the circuit. It's such a foreign element that gives extended floating air...upside down. You do pull down on the lap bar a little, but its much more of a floaty feeling than a falling out feeling (like the second barrel roll on Outlaw Run). The twist and shout gives some cool air on the entrance and exit of the element and you get a good pop of air heading into the break run. I will say that the back seat gives a ride that is more out of control closer to Outlaw Run.

In my opinion, Goliath is much more controlled than Outlaw Run. I kind of think of it as if RMC and B&M had a baby in a good way. It's got the pacing and smoothness of a great B&M, but the ridiculous elements of an RMC. To me, it is easily the best coaster in the park. However, I would rank it as the 3rd best wooden coaster I've been on with Outlaw Run at #1 and The Voyage at #2. I would probably put it in my personal top 10, but I haven't ridden all that many rides. It really is a great ride, though not as memorable as some rides I've ridden. I will say that after riding Outlaw Run and Goliath, Wildfire at Kolmarden, looks to be the perfect combination of the two RMC rides and should be an amazing ride. Regardless of where I rank Goliath, it is a fantastic addition to the park and Great America has a true winner on it's hands.

Outside of the issues with the rain and wheels, I had a great day. I met a lot of new people in the enthusiast community and enjoyed talking to most of them. Thanks to the 3 TPR members that allowed me to tag along. I had a great time riding through Great America with some new friends. I also got to say a few words to Hank Salemi, Fred Grubb, and Alan Schilke. All of them were incredibly friendly and humble. It was a great pleasure to chat briefly with them.

That is all for now. I'm exhausted and am looking forward to sleep.

Just in case anyone who wasn't at the park today wanted to see the opening ceremony, here it is:

I was pleasantly surprised by this opening ceremony. I expected just a speech, but I was wrong.

Oh God so corny... my wife came in mid video and started making fun of me..

Question: What is the difference between the soft opening and hard opening?

You should have learned that in health class

hah!

I wanted to go to Goliath opening day pretty bad. I would wait in a long line too as I said, but waiting in a severe thunderstorm and driving 4 hours to do it, I am going to have to waive a white flag. I will try to come in the in the Fall. Will be amusement parking tomorrow though, in the other direction from where I live.

Hope all that road / are riding it have a blast. Hope it doesn't rain much where I am going tomorrow!

(snipped)

Now a bit about the ride. I've ridden Outlaw Run and now Goliath. Outlaw Run is the better of the two coasters, but Goliath is significantly more re-ridable in my opinion. The first drop is fantastic and seems to go on for a long time. The over-banked turn gives a couple pops of air time which is a nice surprise. The air time hill gives great ejector air, and the dive loop is nice with a little floating air. The Zero G Stall is the highlight of the circuit. It's such a foreign element that gives extended floating air...upside down. You do pull down on the lap bar a little, but its much more of a floaty feeling than a falling out feeling (like the second barrel roll on Outlaw Run). The twist and shout gives some cool air on the entrance and exit of the element and you get a good pop of air heading into the break run. I will say that the back seat gives a ride that is more out of control closer to Outlaw Run.

In my opinion, Goliath is much more controlled than Outlaw Run. I kind of think of it as if RMC and B&M had a baby in a good way. It's got the pacing and smoothness of a great B&M, but the ridiculous elements of an RMC. To me, it is easily the best coaster in the park. However, I would rank it as the 3rd best wooden coaster I've been on with Outlaw Run at #1 and The Voyage at #2. I would probably put it in my personal top 10, but I haven't ridden all that many rides. It really is a great ride, though not as memorable as some rides I've ridden. I will say that after riding Outlaw Run and Goliath, Wildfire at Kolmarden, looks to be the perfect combination of the two RMC rides and should be an amazing ride. Regardless of where I rank Goliath, it is a fantastic addition to the park and Great America has a true winner on it's hands.

Can't say I disagree with much of what you said with a bit of a qualifier. I rode once toward the front and once second from the back and it is two very different rides. Both positions were very re-ridable but the back was much more forceful and the airtime hill was insane back there. I'd give a slight edge to Outlaw Run sitting toward the front but I liked Goliath better toward the back. I miss the corkscrew element but there is so much going on with Goliath. There are some surprising moments and the stall is just....Really hard to describe.

I'd echo one other thing you said, there were some real whiners amongst us and I'm happy to say none that I heard were wearing TPR shirts. Yes, it can be frustrating but you have to come into media events with the right mindset and to always expect the unexpected. Some people still seem to think it's ERT time. Nope, never really has been that way at any events I've attended.

I can't wait to get back to ride some more! Thankfully I have two passes that will at least make for a couple shorter waits. For those with those passes, a reminder that on a ride like Goliath that has a FlashPass line...You have to use that line. It's not a true "exit pass" for rides with Flashpass according to what the PR folks said.

For those that were there....Might be nice to drop a note in the mail to Katy Enrique and her staff to say thanks.

Had a great time today at the park (well, the Goliath area). It was my first RMC; crazy elements and extreme angles! I met (and got my celebrity photo with) both Fred Grub and Alan Shilke of RMC, great guys! This ride is gonna be a real scream machine for the park!

How did you get that photo?

Check out this photo from sfgamworld.com's facebook page of the extended queue set up for tomorrow/this weekend/this summer's crowds.

I'm having Ragin' Cajun line flashbacks, only like ten times worse. With its capacity and how many people are going to want to ride it, that's like 4-5 hours boiling on the blacktop without shade... dear god, I pray for you people.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-80553658/

Cool review by Chicago Tribune with some interesting bits of information in it, like that Great America had RMC sign a non-compete clause so that they couldnt produce a taller faster steeper wooden coaster that would unthrown Goliath for a specified number of years.

Im working on a review but in the meantime, lets play a game and get this convo rolling. Lets call it "overheard at Media Day" or "leaks from media day." If you overheard something interesting and informative we havent heard yet while at media day, please share. If you had a great conversation / interview/ picked the brain of any RMC designers or leadership, please spill the beans! I dont expect to hear something that hasnt been announced-like a colossus story. But i think we would all appreciate any interesting facts regarding the designers, the ride, the design process, the elements, inspiration, engineering, etc.

Edited by Goooose

Check out this photo from sfgamworld.com's facebook page of the extended queue set up for tomorrow/this weekend/this summer's crowds.

I'm having Ragin' Cajun line flashbacks, only like ten times worse. With its capacity and how many people are going to want to ride it, that's like 4-5 hours boiling on the blacktop without shade... dear god, I pray for you people.

The line should have began at loggers run and i've been saying that all along!

Going tomorrow for opening day since my flight leaves back to California in the evening tomorrow so it's my only chance.

I've never been to an opening day for a ride before so I'm not really sure what to expect. Would arriving 1hr 30mins before park opening to get in line be a good idea or just unnecessary?

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-80553658/

Cool review by Chicago Tribune with some interesting bits of information in it, like that Great America had RMC sign a non-compete clause so that they couldnt produce a taller faster steeper wooden coaster that would unthrown Goliath for a specified number of years.

Im working on a review but in the meantime, lets play a game and get this convo rolling. Lets call it "overheard at Media Day" or "leaks from media day." If you overheard something interesting and informative we havent heard yet while at media day, please share. If you had a great conversation / interview/ picked the brain of any RMC designers or leadership, please spill the beans! I dont expect to hear something that hasnt been announced-like a colossus story. But i think we would all appreciate any interesting facts regarding the designers, the ride, the design process, the elements, inspiration, engineering, etc.

I asked Fred 2 questions while we shared a ride. 1. Is RMC working on incorporating other "steel coaster" inspired inversions and 2. Will we see a launch coaster in the future. Both question were answered with "Those concepts are currently on the drawing board."

That is excellent news and a great contribution!

^I was talking to them and asked "mind if I get a picture?"

I should have been clearer, I was asking where and how you got the photo that you posted from? It looks like it is from the maintenance road, I was just wondering about the picture you posted.

That's just the exit ramp with the camera facing vertical I assume. There is no other access. The station and line are all behind the lift and dive loop so there arent many great photo angles and thus no reason to post a massive media day photo album. We have seen all the angles already with the test runs and construction pics. Here is one from the station though. image.thumb.jpg.c6f31198ea2a374b6026a6a5b9acb014.jpg

Going tomorrow for opening day since my flight leaves back to California in the evening tomorrow so it's my only chance.

I've never been to an opening day for a ride before so I'm not really sure what to expect. Would arriving 1hr 30mins before park opening to get in line be a good idea or just unnecessary?

Think "running of the bulls" when they drop the chain. It's fine to get there early so you can be at the chain when it drops but if you don't keep up with the stampede you'll be a long ways back in line in a hurry.

Think "running of the bulls" when they drop the chain. It's fine to get there early so you can be at the chain when it drops but if you don't keep up with the stampede you'll be a long ways back in line in a hurry.

Oh wow, it works like that! Thanks for the response, I think I'll definitely wanna get there early then.

^Hadn't watched those, thanks.

I would really like to know what that zero g feel like given how everyone has been praising it. I guess the only way to know is by riding it.