TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

The Pictoriums at both Great Americas have run their course, time to remove them and use that space for something new and exciting.

Which park will remove theirs first?

Six Flags Great America. I'm basing this on the fact that CGA is still not stable with their finances yet and removing an asset on their property for future development doesn't seem like a smart move at the moment, especially given that they just purchased Goldstriker a year ago.

There was never an issue with the parks finances, it was an issue of the old Cedar Fair management neglecting it because they thought they were going to sell the property and demolish it so the stadium could be built. Financially, they were fine.

After researching it a bit I appear to have my facts incorrect. This also reintroduces one of the major questions I have about the park, which the debt issue was a long excuse for: Why does the place so dang crappy and ran down for a major California theme park? I know a lot of parks could use some TLC but this one is one of the worst offenders for what I feel like should be a well maintained park. Going to Discovery Kingdom is like night and day compared to CGA.

CGA is actually a nicely maintained park, they keep up on painting, planting, and maintenance so I don't understand how it could appear crappy and run down. Have you been to Magic Mountain lately?

The Pictoriums at both Great Americas have run their course, time to remove them and use that space for something new and exciting.

Six Flags Great America. I'm basing this on the fact that CGA is still not stable with their finances yet and removing an asset on their property for future development doesn't seem like a smart move at the moment, especially given that they just purchased Goldstriker a year ago.

There was never an issue with the parks finances, it was an issue of the old Cedar Fair management neglecting it because they thought they were going to sell the property and demolish it so the stadium could be built. Financially, they were fine.

After researching it a bit I appear to have my facts incorrect. This also reintroduces one of the major questions I have about the park, which the debt issue was a long excuse for: Why does the place so dang crappy and ran down for a major California theme park? I know a lot of parks could use some TLC but this one is one of the worst offenders for what I feel like should be a well maintained park. Going to Discovery Kingdom is like night and day compared to CGA.

CGA is actually a nicely maintained park, they keep up on painting, planting, and maintenance so I don't understand how it could appear crappy and run down. Have you been to Magic Mountain lately?

I have, actually. It's a shame that Magic Mountain operates the way they do and a lot of their really good themeing is starting to get bulldozed over, but I still stand behing my thoughts that CGA needs more work. Some of the work they've put into it is actually quite nice but I have this memory of visiting last year of sitting on the drop tower there. The restraints were gross and old, the pavement under the queue and ride was cracking, the queue sun canvas was really old and ripping, and the ride really needed a paint job. It felt second rate, and that was only one example.

It just seemed, I don't know, worn down. Needing some TLC pretty badly. It looks like they're trying but it seems like a new effort; like, what took them so long to realize that the place needed work?

I went to CGA back when it was Paramount's Great America, and it was faar more well-kept than SFGAm, which I would frequent almost daily as a teenager around the same time. Our coasters were better, but their pavement, landscaping, characters, paint jobs and color breadth of buildings, cleanliness, everything was better. We had/have way better coasters, but their park was cleaner and better looking. It amazed me to see the same exact buildings but to not be able to SMELL the heat radiating off the midway or see piles of gum stepped over everywhere or paint chipping. The buildings didn't look old, they looked vibrant (Orleans Place and Yankee Harbor, for example). They'd taken out the railroad and its station and there was one long linear midway going all the way to county fair, which I liked in some respects but also appreciated that it hasn't been done to our park (and we still have wizzer). And they still had the vine tunnel over the midway in front of Demon. This was back when they still had Stealth. Demon was much smoother than our's. Then, they got ridd of stealth for a water park. Where we have Superman: UF and Shockwave before, paramount had a massive amphitheater and boring stunt show.

Maybe today, following Six Flags change in direction shortly thereafter, our park has improved in all categories and is now returning to the thrill ride issue/investments with X-Flight and Goliath. If there has been a dip at CGA since being bought by paramount, I wouldnt' know, because I haven't been, and they haven't given me any reason to. My observations are from 2004/2005 and a lot ohas changed since then. But cleanliness and aesthetics aside, SFGAM won then and still today in its stock of coasters and attractions. It is and was at the time a better full-day park and one with rides worth visiting for. PGA was super clean and pretty but dead at the time and there were only 4 rides you actually needed to go on.

FYI: According to a banner on the SFGAm website main page, Goliath will officially open to the public on June 19th.

Oh my.. that's the day I leave back from Chicago to California. Luckily my flight is at 5pm. I might actually get to ride this thing after all... I had already accepted the fact that I wasn't gonna get the chance to ride it this time around.

^I completely agree with your speculation. Great America is one of the "big" parks, and should have one installed. The space from Ragin' Cajun would perfectly accommodate that ride. I think the Pictorium spot would better house a dark ride. But, we don't have to worry about this yet - Goliath is almost here!

I have, actually. It's a shame that Magic Mountain operates the way they do and a lot of their really good themeing is starting to get bulldozed over, but I still stand behing my thoughts that CGA needs more work. Some of the work they've put into it is actually quite nice but I have this memory of visiting last year of sitting on the drop tower there. The restraints were gross and old, the pavement under the queue and ride was cracking, the queue sun canvas was really old and ripping, and the ride really needed a paint job. It felt second rate, and that was only one example.

It just seemed, I don't know, worn down. Needing some TLC pretty badly. It looks like they're trying but it seems like a new effort; like, what took them so long to realize that the place needed work?

I agree, it's not perfect and still does need work but they are getting there.

Six Flags Great America advertises a Thrill Pass unlimited visits for 64.99 on it's website.

I am going the 19th and 20th and likely won't return this season. I am thinking of going this route. Has anyone else done this and is it a solid deal? Seems like the best route for 2 days Thanks!

If Pictorium were to disappear, I would imagine the space would best be utilized by expanding the waterpark next to it. A dark ride seems to be not the best use of this space. Just saying....

^It probably would not be a family coaster, because they already have a good collection of those (Whizzer, Little Dipper, Dark Knight, Spacely). I think a dark ride could definitely be possible, though.

^ While I would love for a legitimate dark ride we have to remember that this is Six Flags. However, they have surprised me in the past by replacing Deja Vu with a family area. I just have this feeling that every time they have any sizeable chunk of property available their first thoughts are 'roller coaster.' But, that location is directly adjacent to the waterpark. If we look at the Six Flags 2013 Annual Report linked here we can see that they list the Wisconsin Dells waterparks as a major competitor to the Gurnee park. I could very easily see a waterpark expansion in their continued attempt to outdo the horrible Mt. Olympus and (much better) Noah's Ark. It seems like a proper business strategy to make proactive attempts against your leading competitor. On a side note, Key Lime Cove has a ways to go to outdo the multitude of indoor waterparks like the Kalahari.

^It probably would not be a family coaster, because they already have a good collection of those (Whizzer, Little Dipper, Dark Knight, Spacely). I think a dark ride could definitely be possible, though.

^ While I would love for a legitimate dark ride we have to remember that this is Six Flags. However, they have surprised me in the past by replacing Deja Vu with a family area. I just have this feeling that every time they have any sizeable chunk of property available their first thoughts are 'roller coaster.' But, that location is directly adjacent to the waterpark. If we look at the Six Flags 2013 Annual Report linked here we can see that they list the Wisconsin Dells waterparks as a major competitor to the Gurnee park. I could very easily see a waterpark expansion in their continued attempt to outdo the horrible Mt. Olympus and (much better) Noah's Ark. It seems like a proper business strategy to make proactive attempts against your leading competitor. On a side note, Key Lime Cove has a ways to go to outdo the multitude of indoor waterparks like the Kalahari.

I would love for Six Flags to add a Blaster type slide. That's about the Only thing I can think Of that our park doesn't have that Wisconsin Dells does. Too bad Great America can't pull a Holiday World and build slides around/through Viper.

^ That would actually be very cool - I still feel that their waterpark is missing something, and a watercoaster would fill that gap. Right now they can't claim "the nation's best waterpark" (which they do!), when they have Holiday World just about six hours away. A decent watercoaster could make that fact more "reasonable".

The only reason I was thinking "dark ride", is because Hank Salemi has always wanted one at six Flags Great America.

Those who have chimed in on FB and SFGAmWorld have been very, very positive. All short comments, but one person said it is easily the best coaster in the park, which sounds promising! Hope to hear it is one of the world's best soon.