TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

^That's too bad, I would have liked to see a properly shot POV video with no shaking or rattling. There are no shakes or rattles in Robb's POV mounted cam videos which makes them 1000 times better and they look so good-it's very professional and really gives you a better sense of what the ride is really like.

This does look incredibly awesome. It's still somewhat surreal to a coaster like this at the park. Sadly, I'll have to miss the media day. But, TPR and Scandi is far more exciting . I'll be sure to get over there immediately after I get back from the trip or a couple days after depending how fast I recover.

Seems strange to not remove the webcam from the Goliath page if it has, indeed, been taken offline permanently....although, I guess, maybe they're leaving it there so people can sift through the archived time lapse stills (assuming you can still do that)?

They squeezed in an incredible amount of action into a relatively small footprint.....I'm sure you'll hardly be able to catch your breath, but it sure would be nice to have some more ride time (especially for the first year or three when wait times are sure to be insane.

In the RMC way of designing coasters, I believe the up and down parts of the first overbanked turn, the up part of the dive loop, the two final turns will provide airtime. When going up the Dive Loop, the track's twist center is definitely lower than heartline which is similar to the twist off Outlaw Run's outward banked turn. The two final turns are similar to NTaG's second turn I believe. As for the two twists of the Zero G Stall, I do hope that RMC can make three airtime moments in one element. So in total, including the first drop, there will be at least 9 airtime during the whole ride. Outlaw Run only has 7 and it is already awesome enough to make it to No.3 in the world.

In the RMC way of designing coasters, I believe the up and down parts of the first overbanked turn, the up part of the dive loop, the two final turns will provide airtime. When going up the Dive Loop, the track's twist center is definitely lower than heartline which is similar to the twist off Outlaw Run's outward banked turn. The two final turns are similar to NTaG's second turn I believe. As for the two twists of the Zero G Stall, I do hope that RMC can make three airtime moments in one element. So in total, including the first drop, there will be at least 9 airtime during the whole ride. Outlaw Run only has 7 and it is already awesome enough to make it to No.3 in the world.

Airtime moments =/= airtime. I'd rather have a nice and long pop of airtime (like going over El Toro's big hills) than a bunch of super-intense but super-quick jolts (Lightning Run's bunny hops). I feel like the only "good" hill in the layout is the one between the big curve and the dive loop.

Also, by your logic, Phoenix should be ranked higher than Outlaw Run, as it has at least thirteen "moments of airtime"...

Watching the on-ride video again, the transitions into the curves (and probably out in the back seats) look pretty vicious (in a good way). It seems like the lift is so slow for good reason.

They were still testing as the park closed at 9pm today. Also, the red train is officially on the transfer track, but they're still only testing with the orange train. And while I was over by the station, an employee working there said they will only be running 1 train when they open the ride.

image.thumb.jpg.a36c1fabff5ab68bb1a95f2abf72f5f2.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.8f3cab8462392941e84b36de434f7a3a.jpg

And while I was over by the station, an employee working there said they will only be running 1 train when they open the ride.

Ouch. The lines for this thing were already going to be absurd. What are the chances they don't include it on the flash passes? Or maybe do like SFMM and make it a $15 or $20 per-ride upcharge on top of a platinum flash pass?

They were still testing as the park closed at 9pm today. Also, the red train is officially on the transfer track, but they're still only testing with the orange train. And while I was over by the station, an employee working there said they will only be running 1 train when they open the ride.
I could be wrong, and this may have NOTHING to do with it. But in one of the testing videos when something flew off of the train in the airtime hill, was it the red train? If so could that have caused the delay in the red train? (Just a thought)

I could be wrong, and this may have NOTHING to do with it. But in one of the testing videos when something flew off of the train in the airtime hill, was it the red train? If so could that have caused the delay in the red train? (Just a thought)

Nope. They haven't run red yet and I'm sure that didn't cause any delays either.

And while I was over by the station, an employee working there said they will only be running 1 train when they open the ride.

Ouch. The lines for this thing were already going to be absurd. What are the chances they don't include it on the flash passes? Or maybe do like SFMM and make it a $15 or $20 per-ride upcharge on top of a platinum flash pass?

According to the web site. Goliath will be on the platinum pass only. So far there is no indication if it is only one ride or not. That is over $100 a person if you wanted one.

^That's too bad, I would have liked to see a properly shot POV video with no shaking or rattling. There are no shakes or rattles in Robb's POV mounted cam videos which makes them 1000 times better and they look so good-it's very professional and really gives you a better sense of what the ride is really like.

Yes, the TPR videos are the best POV's on Youtube hands down. Or up might be more appropriate seeing it's roller coasters.

Wait... Is Goliath going to run one train at opening only or forever?

On the announcement last year it was said it would run two trains and be a "high capacity ride".

Look 8:43 in to this video.

Wait... Is Goliath going to run one train at opening only or forever?

I'm pretty sure Goliath is going to eventually run two trains because they ordered two trains. If they didn't ever run the second, it would be a huge waste of money. Whatever the problem is, I would expect them to eventually fix it.

This has nothing to do with Goliath......Something I don't understand from a marketing/operations standpoint.

American Eagle has a tremendous amount of advertising for #blueside tied in with The Blue Man Group.

There is a ton of signage around the coaster and they've handed out flyers, etc at the parking entry as well.

But, they start the day using the red side only and don't open blue until later, if it all.

Why not just use the blue side if that's a prmotion?

I fully expect both Goliath trains to be operating from the beginning. This park is too busy to operate one train on anything but the coasters that have only one train (V2, Spacely's, Little Dipper). Someone reported on SFGAm World that the red train is on the track today, so it sounds like they will both get plenty of testing.

I have learned not to put much faith into what some random employee says. On opening day, while standing at Goliath, an employee sweeping in the area talked to me about the ride, then proceeded to tell me 14 people have died on coasters at Disney parks this year, but they are so good at keeping it out of the media, nobody ever finds out. I figured I would have heard something about it at TPR!