TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

& here comes the TPR roller coaster engineers!

On a serious note, this is quite disappointing as we're getting in the prime summertime season, but I guess the longer it takes the safer, more reliable the ride will be in the long run... which will be for the best. It is looking quite spectacular though!

I wouldn't worry about the clearance issue to much - it happens. Cedar Point cut out part of the support on Millennium Force mid-year in 2000 and the ride had no downtime for that. Basically I don't think it will be a major hold up.

Will it stay like this permanently? I'm not questioning whether it is safe or not, just that it doesn't look, well..... great, does it?

Not likely. It'll probably stay like that for the season and RMC will come in the fall after FF to fix it.

Will it stay like this permanently? I'm not questioning whether it is safe or not, just that it doesn't look, well..... great, does it?

You're looking at it through a trained eye. The average non enthusiast will have a hard time seeing that. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if it weren't posted on the forums, but I pay less attention to detail when it comes to coasters, as opposed to a lot of enthusiasts.

Does any one know y the went to red hand stamps this year

Even though this question really doesn't belong in this thread.....I was told by one of the Sups. that at some point they want to use the biometric (fingerprint) technology for re-entry as well and eliminate hand stamps. The ultraviolet scanners they used to use have been retired as they didn't fit well with the new scanners at the entry gates.

You're looking at it through a trained eye. The average non enthusiast will have a hard time seeing that. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if it weren't posted on the forums, but I pay less attention to detail when it comes to coasters, as opposed to a lot of enthusiasts.

I'm more concerned with the long-term durability of it than its aesthetics.

In regards to videos being posted about the Goliath initial test run, I think it's only fair to promote and display the video that was contributed to TPR by one of our readers. If other people who have also taken video of the first test runswould like them to be posted to our YouTube channel, please contact me privately and maybe we can work something out. But in the mean time, I'm very grateful to theredskull84 who shot this video and allowed us to use it. Any links to other videos will be deleted unless they are contributed to TPR. Thanks for your understanding.

Really? I understand wanting to promote your own video, but when discussions on TPR come from things members find online and not always their own content, that seems a bit strange.

So with all the ongoing discussion about delays and ride structure problems with the overbank, when do you guys think the ride may open? I thought the park wanted to release new dates last weekend? Are they still aiming for a June,13th opening?

^ I got a phone call from guest relations earlier today regarding a message I sent them. Goliath was brought and there isn't an opening date due to construction delays. Keep an eye on the SFGAm website and facebook page for updates. Also there aren't any plans for season passholder ERT. I know this information has been repeated, but I figured I should mention it because I heard it straight from guest relations. There is a lot of excitement surrounding Goliath and our patience will be rewarded soon.

This isn't the first time RMC has had clearance issues on an overbank turn. They had to cut some of the steel out of this beam on Texas Giant.

As for Goliath, we've got to remember that this is still sort of a new way of supporting overbanks and inversions with it being a wooden coaster. So no matter what the computer says, you really have no idea if it's going to meet the clearance requirements until you get out there and measure it. It appears they've learned from the Texas Giant and had a backup plan just in case it didn't pass the clearance requirements. Honestly, it probably isn't even that big of a deal.

I'm not an engineer (disclaimer because some people are oversensitive regarding that) but I don't understand mistakes such as these when the computer design software is more advanced than ever. You'd think in the 2-3 years it takes to design these things a glaring flaw would be detected..

Then again this is minor compared to the many flubs say a company like Intamin has done (another disclaimer, I love Intamin rides)

I can understand not knowing exactly how much stress a certain element puts on the train until you build it and test it. I do not understand not knowing how far away a support beam will be from the track until you build it and whoops, not enough space. I wasn't under the impression anything to do with coaster construction nowadays is "eye-balled".