TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I have been surprised to see it a lot. A few weeks ago I saw a commercial for the park numerous times with footage of x-flight, bull, and goliath, and maybe superman. And more recently, I have seen the goliath commercial and I saw it on billboards. People seem to be aware of the ride and articles are popping up quite a bit in social media platforms. For example, the delaying of media day created a lot of buzz and awareness that wouldn't have otherwise happened.

As for Potter, yea, I was blown away. On Comcast/Xfinity On Demand, they have all Potter movies available as well as tours of/introductions to all the Wizarding World attractions. Watching TV, a train runs right by the bottom of the screen. They are sparing nooo expense with potter. They're hoping to increase revenues on the franchise in all mediums while increasing franchise awareness and ultimately increasing theme park revenue. If ever there was a project that had potential to bring Universal neck and neck with disney in terms of number of visits, it is this. The profits from this will fuel future expansions. All the media hype for Potter is totally unprecedented. In addition to everything mentioned before, i'll add that Jimmy Fallon will be broadcasting the tonight show from Orlando the week of Diagon Alley's opening. This is all possible because Universal Studios' parent company is NBC Universal and they own all of the television channels that are running nonstop potter ads, and they own Fallon. And who owns 51% of NBC Universal? COMCAST! So they are advertising their own ventures nonstop, around the clock, to drive Universal Parks and Resorts. Universal probably didnt pay for all of these ads. Since they are on their own networks and through their parent company's distribution network, they can pretty much get total national, even global for that matter, awareness of Diagon Alley for a fraction of the budget it would have required if they had to pay a competing company for the ad space.

Six Flags on the other hand? Just a seasonal regional theme park operator, publicly traded, but not owned by any other corporation. Their budget for advertising and attractions/operations for that matter are much smaller than Disney or Universal's, which are a slice of a larger corporate pie.

Winter didn't seem to slow down Banshee . . . . or just about any major ride at Cedar Point.

True. But there is a trade-off: Great America is getting a unique AND kick butt ride

Most people will never remember the delay after their first ride.

X-flight... slowest queue in the world

It's also one of the shortest lines in the park. Whizzer usually has a longer line. (Whizzer rocks). The other coasters are more popular.

Chicago also got Colder weather and more snow.

I have been watching a lot of tv the last week and a half and I noticed something. I have only seen the Goliath commercial twice during this time. I'm surprised I didn't see it more leading up to the now cancelled media day. What I find funny is that I've seen the Diagon Alley commercial at least 15 times. I even heard it mentioned in the Rangers/Canadiens game before posting this. I'm surprised that our regional park has far less tv advertisements. Others may have seen the Goliath commercial more, but I figured I would share my observation.

Yeah, I heard Doc Emrick talking about Diagon Alley during the Rangers/Habs game tonight too. I haven't seen any Goliath commercials yet but I did see a billboard heading south on 294 towards Oak Lawn a couple months ago.

Superman... Unbelievable. I havent been on it in 8 years because its line isso long. Why did ours not come with a double station like Georgia's?? What a bunch of cheapos.

Double stations aren't always faster. It depends greatly on dispatch intervals, which are very slow with flying coasters. I believe SFGam got the 8 car trains to make up the lost capacity, if I'm not mistaken. Not *Everything* Six Flags does is being cheap or lazy.

double stations also cost more $$$$$ to operate, need more employees. SFGAdv only uses one loading/unloading area on kingda ka out of 4.

SFGAdv only uses one loading/unloading area on kingda ka out of 4.

I think that's ridiculous. I'm not saying they should use all the four as that apparently slows down the queue once it splits but they could use one side of the station with both the loading and unloading platform working. Given the trains only carry 18 it would be significantly better.

Also, why did they go with only one row for the last car in the first place? I know the trains are made so that a last row can be added but why haven't they done that?

I think that's ridiculous. I'm not saying they should use all the four as that apparently slows down the queue once it splits but they could use one side of the station with both the loading and unloading platform working. Given the trains only carry 18 it would be significantly better.

Also, why did they go with only one row for the last car in the first place? I know the trains are made so that a last row can be added but why haven't they done that?

someone wrote on the SFGAdv thread that only using one loading/unloading area and only running 3 trains gives them the best capacity. i dodnt buy it, and still think its a money issue. TTD uses 5 trains and has 2 loading areas and the separate unloading areas.

I am intrigued to see the pacing of the ride. I really hope the airtime hills are AIRTIME filled.

Judging by the video i just saw of steel medusa, this thing is going to fly. It will not lose any speed before hitting te reaks, whereas ntag is much longer and iron rattler spends much of its time going pretty slow as it is riding on top of the cliff, much higher than the altitude of its first drop where it gets most of its speed. Im imaging the best airtime hill imaginable after the overbank, as its only 60 feet tall coming off a 165 foot hill. If youve ever been on ntag, think of the negative g in the hills entering the first overbank after the first drop, or entering the mid course "break run" (trimless).

As for the two overbank turns at the end, im not sure how those will rid but im expecting more negative gs on the entrance to the break run. Wont be as strong as the first negative g float but wont b positive gs either, or the break run would be flat and no descending.

Overall, I like to think of it as an amazong hypercoaster before the mid course break run, where you catch your breathe and all the more forgettable bunny hills carry you back to the station. Im hoping itll ride like Nitro part one, ending at the helix-in terms of speed and pacing of elements.

Winter didn't seem to slow down Banshee . . . . or just about any major ride at Cedar Point.

True. But there is a trade-off: Great America is getting a unique AND kick butt ride

Why wouldn't that apply to Banshee? I mean, I get that there are lots of other inverteds in the world and only a couple RMCs, but Banshee is not a cookie cutter, has a unique layout, and has very strong reviews. Look, if forced to pick, I go with Goliath, for sure -- although I wish it had Banshee's ride length!

Can't have it all. Unless you have El Toro (sigh -- when will ANYONE else in the United States wake up to the perfection of Intamin's woodies? It's crazy that something as great as El Toro hasn't been mimicked by other parks!)

I am intrigued to see the pacing of the ride. I really hope the airtime hills are AIRTIME filled.

Judging by the video i just saw of steel medusa, this thing is going to fly. It will not lose any speed before hitting te reaks, whereas ntag is much longer and iron rattler spends much of its time going pretty slow as it is riding on top of the cliff, much higher than the altitude of its first drop where it gets most of its speed. Im imaging the best airtime hill imaginable after the overbank, as its only 60 feet tall coming off a 165 foot hill. If youve ever been on ntag, think of the negative g in the hills entering the first overbank after the first drop, or entering the mid course "break run" (trimless).

As for the two overbank turns at the end, im not sure how those will rid but im expecting more negative gs on the entrance to the break run. Wont be as strong as the first negative g float but wont b positive gs either, or the break run would be flat and no descending.

Overall, I like to think of it as an amazong hypercoaster before the mid course break run, where you catch your breathe and all the more forgettable bunny hills carry you back to the station. Im hoping itll ride like Nitro part one, ending at the helix-in terms of speed and pacing of elements.

yeah, I think that sounds right -- I am hoping that the speed hill will offer crazy airtime. the drop certainly will. and we may be a little pop on the break run in the front.

I don't agree with the "forgettable bunny hills" part, though. I think the return leg of Magnum, Nitro, and the other coasters with negative g bunny hills is GREAT way to end a ride, and, frankly, I don't fully understand why they didn't extend Goliath a little bit more -- I undestand the land issue, but the incremental costs of extending another leg is closer to the ground is probably fairly minimal in comparison to the other overall cost.

Yea it is a recent trend isn't it. To have a descending break run that doubles as a floater, or kind of takes you by surprise and from 60 to zero. I agree with you tororific about the length. It is longer than outlaw run, but the elements are much larger, taller, and longer, so there are fewer of them. I am trying to hold back from questioning the park, as to why they didn't give up the wilderness theater land for Goliath, but it isn't worth it to complain before I even ride the thing. BUT had they given up the theater land, they could have had the first drop running alongside the train track like iron wolf, exiting the tunnel left into an outerbank turn, then having another negative g float facing perpendicular the first drop, sharp right turn into the existing negative g float, dive loop, zero g stall (all would be reworked, as the lift is moved, and then exit the zero g stall left into an el toro-style series of s curves, hills, a lateral float, ya never know. My computer in't new enough to create it on No Limits 2, but as soon as I can, I will.

With that, can't wait to ride the actual beast we see every day on the webcam.

This is shaping up to be be the most insane Goliath ever. I can't wait to ride this one day soon if all goes well.

^Agree. It seems that recently there have been a lot of coasters popping up that hit the brake run either too fast or too high *cough*leviathan*cough*.

In all fairness, Leviathan had a unique issue where the train had to get back to the station over an existing roller coaster, F&B catering building/area and maintenance area. I don't think it's a trend as much as a ride adapting to its location.

someone wrote on the SFGAdv thread that only using one loading/unloading area and only running 3 trains gives them the best capacity. i dodnt buy it, and still think its a money issue. TTD uses 5 trains and has 2 loading areas and the separate unloading areas.

I work at GADV and I know for a fact the ride gets better numbers now then it did when it used all 4 load stations. Last year was the first time the ride gave over one million riders in a season. The switch track would slow down cycles because you had to wait for it transfer which wasn't the quickest process. Plus the switch track would have problems a lot and cause the ride to go down. Idk why the park doesn't switch in the last row of seats in on Ka but that's up to management. 1 loading platform is used in place of four for better capacity and to save on expenses.

Sometimes running 1 less train than designed will give you better capacity and decrease downtime.

California Screamin can run 6 trains but 5 is more efficient AND decreases downtime. TTD is more efficient with 5 trains VS 6.

I work at GADV and I know for a fact the ride gets better numbers now then it did when it used all 4 load stations. Last year was the first time the ride gave over one million riders in a season. The switch track would slow down cycles because you had to wait for it transfer which wasn't the quickest process. Plus the switch track would have problems a lot and cause the ride to go down. Idk why the park doesn't switch in the last row of seats in on Ka but that's up to management. 1 loading platform is used in place of four for better capacity and to save on expenses.

Not using the switch track makes sense, but why not use the second station behind the one in use for unloading? I just don't mathematically see how it would be more efficient to not have a separate, connected unloading station like MF utilizes.

I love the way they run Kingda Ka now.

The fact that the queue slows down once it splits shouldn't be downplayed because it makes a big difference when you want to wait for a certain seat. For example... the wait for the front row of Kingda Ka is usually about 20 minutes once you get in line for it. That same line in the past would have been at least 80 minutes (20 times 4 stations)... probably more because you have to add time for switching the track like Ryan was saying.

Logic would tell you that this wouldn't happen because if the line was 80 minutes it wouldn't be as long... people wouldn't get in it. This is not the case. For some reason people always fill the lines for each row... I don't know why that is, I guess it's because they assume that if it's within the area they have set up then it's a standard wait time. The line is rarely longer than the allotted space but it's almost never shorter.

A perfect example is on a ride like Raptor compared to a ride like Montu. Raptor always has a 5 minute wait for the front because the line is only long enough to fit a 5 minute wait. Montu has some switchbacks for the front so the line always fills up and there's a 45 minute wait for the front. People will always fill the line, it's rarely shorter or longer than the line unless there's a very convenient waiting area like the back wall of the station (Dragster) that naturally flows in to the line for a specific row.

My point is that if you prefer the front or back row on a specific coaster like most enthusiasts do then you shouldn't ever want a duel loading station. It doesn't matter as much on the other rows because if there was just one station the queue would have been longer and it evens out, but if you prefer a row that will have a longer queue then having more than one loading station is awful.

My point is that if you prefer the front or back row on a specific coaster like most enthusiasts do then you shouldn't ever want a duel loading station. It doesn't matter as much on the other rows because if there was just one station the queue would have been longer and it evens out, but if you prefer a row that will have a longer queue then having more than one loading station is awful.

The exception to that, for me at least, is SheiKra. I love that it has a dual loading station, especially because all the GP wants to ride in the front. Makes it much quicker and easier for me to ride where I want, which is the back, far right seat.

You're right, but my point was really that the more desirable seats will always have the longer lines. On Sheikra the back isn't really that desirable for most people, everyone wants to sit in the front. Sheikra also sits approximately 11,000 people per row which helps.

Edited by coasterbill

The cranes kept revisiting the overbank and drop over the past two days. Since both were already totally topper tracked and grouted, I am guessing they were installing sensors. Now the cranes are lifting something to site from off site. Hopefully train cars!