TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

In the Tribune article about Goliath on May 2, the park said that the winter freeze only delayed construction two full days. I raised my concern here about how rain could delay construction further, and everyone said "if they can handle the cold, they can handle the rain!" Except that when there is rain, there is lightning. And when wood is wet, it probably isnt as useful. They built most of the coaster in the past two months and on may 2 they announced the may 29 media day, but we have lost a week since then, at least, with wet weather, lightning, and lift / zero g stall installation delays. At one point they said the lift would be up by the end of the week, i believe it was mothers day weekend, and it took another 6 days and they had to uninstall and reinstall the zero g stall. I am not complaining, just pointing out my observations. I get a little annoyed when people blame the freezing weather. We probably lost a week over the entire winter due to chills, although the park said it was only 2 days, and then another week at least this month alone.

Im not going to scream at them because, come on, two months ago there was no drop, dove loop, zero g stall, grouted track, roof over thedrop, station, transfer track, or queue/marquee.

I have no idea what they are still doing with a crane near te overbank... But it isnt my job to know what tey are doing. I can only hope that they will finish putting topper track on today or tomorrow and do a pull through this weekend and have a solid 4 days of testing before friday. Wishful thinking i know.

Here is a pic posted to sfgamworld and im sorry i have no idea who took it so i cant give credit. The member who posted it there simply said that he found it "on the internet." image.thumb.jpg.a09421decb8b3f01248f9a6579b25e4f.jpg. In the time since this photo was taken, the chain has been fully installed and more orange cars have been added to the track.

From RMC facebook page:

"Here is your amazing and VERY tired Golaith crew! They are working extremely long hours to finish this coaster. Thanks to you all for putting in so many long consecutive days and being away from your family and friends for the past 10 months. We appreciate your hard work more than words can say:-)"

2439072_RMCgoliathcrew.jpg.a5a60ce5218c8f03f407872d2ff8b89d.jpg

I'm thinking of the Chicagoland days the news told people to not even go outside if they didn't need to, because of the cold. Makes me that much more grateful for these guys. Nobody wants to finish a project late.

Poor guys are working 12 hour days 7 days a week and people are complaining! I hope they and their families get to ride it a million times during the testing period!

Also, holy crap, look how cool the first drop and the floater hills look from that perspective!

I know that winter was particularly harsh in Chicago this year, and that's going to slow down any outdoor construction project. And, as has been said, I think this ride will definitely be worth waiting for.

I know that winter was particularly harsh in Chicago this year, and that's going to slow down any outdoor construction project.

Winter didn't seem to slow down Banshee . . . . or just about any major ride at Cedar Point.

It's called advanced planning. If you start construction sufficiently in advance, you can handle even worst case weather scenarios.

The finger pointing has gotten to the point of entertaining... I really wish we (SFSTL) had a beautiful exciting new coaster to complain about. Hell, you can pack it up and open it in our park in August of next year and we'll still take it gripe free... Can we take it to a vote?

I know that winter was particularly harsh in Chicago this year, and that's going to slow down any outdoor construction project.

Winter didn't seem to slow down Banshee . . . . or just about any major ride at Cedar Point.

It's called advanced planning. If you start construction sufficiently in advance, you can handle even worst case weather scenarios.

just goes to show how much better run cedar point and kings island are.

just goes to show how much better run cedar point and kings island are.

Construction timelines have nothing to do with how well run a park is. I'm not saying the harsh winter/spring is a completely valid excuse for opening this ride well after Memorial Day, but it says next to nothing about in-park operations.

Hmm--I don't know enough about what each park had to deal with in constructing these rides to make any determination here. There are just too many factors involved (for example, the nature of the construction site or the differences in building two entirely different types of rides).

At any rate, I'm looking forward to both Banshee and Goliath (but a bit more to the latter).

Construction timelines have nothing to do with how well run a park is. I'm not saying the harsh winter/spring is a completely valid excuse for opening this ride well after Memorial Day, but it says next to nothing about in-park operations.

That's totally true. It could very well be a set of exceptional circumstances. On that note....is Raging Bull running 3 trains yet this year? Does X-Flight have its second train on yet?

Edited by DirkFunk

That's totally true. It could very well be a set of exceptional circumstances. On that note....is Raging Bull running 3 trains yet this year? Does X-Flight have its second train on yet?

Not sure about Bull but X-Flight had 2 trains running on opening day.

One of the construction guys I talked with briefly (through the fence) last weekend wouldn't be specific but he basically said "There were some problems they had to work through." That's about all he would say. I would suspect part of this might have involved some of the track supports that were removed in a couple places and then replaced a few days later. I work around construction constantly and some things just can't be accounted for. Delays happen. Other parks have had plenty of delays as well. It happens. While we as coaster enthusiasts make take more of an interest in these rides then John Q. Public I don't think that means we have to be told every detail as to why something is delayed.

As of last weekend Bull was still running just two trains.Usually they have the third one ready to roll by early June.

Superman... Unbelievable. I havent been on it in 8 years because its line isso long. Why did ours not come with a double station like Georgia's?? What a bunch of cheapos.

Double stations aren't always faster. It depends greatly on dispatch intervals, which are very slow with flying coasters. I believe SFGam got the 8 car trains to make up the lost capacity, if I'm not mistaken. Not *Everything* Six Flags does is being cheap or lazy.

Superman... Unbelievable. I havent been on it in 8 years because its line isso long. Why did ours not come with a double station like Georgia's?? What a bunch of cheapos.

Double stations aren't always faster. It depends greatly on dispatch intervals, which are very slow with flying coasters. I believe SFGam got the 8 car trains to make up the lost capacity, if I'm not mistaken. Not *Everything* Six Flags does is being cheap or lazy.

^Agreed. And a lot of parks with a double station on their rides don't even use both stations most of the time. SFOG and SFMM pretty much only use one of the two stations on their flyers.

I have been watching a lot of tv the last week and a half and I noticed something. I have only seen the Goliath commercial twice during this time. I'm surprised I didn't see it more leading up to the now cancelled media day. What I find funny is that I've seen the Diagon Alley commercial at least 15 times. I even heard it mentioned in the Rangers/Canadiens game before posting this. I'm surprised that our regional park has far less tv advertisements. Others may have seen the Goliath commercial more, but I figured I would share my observation.

True. But there is a trade-off: Great America is getting a unique AND kick butt ride

Most people will never remember the delay after their first ride.

X-flight... slowest queue in the world

It's also one of the shortest lines in the park. Whizzer usually has a longer line. (Whizzer rocks). The other coasters are more popular.