TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

But seasonal parks better get their rides ready by season start - or announce them to be two-years like Liseberg (Helix), Hansa-Park (Kärnan) or Kolmarden (Wildfire).

I'm sorry , I'm not sure if I understand. What do you exactly mean by two years? Because Liseberg did announce helix two years before opening but what does that have to do with Goliath? I agree that they should have their rides ready for opening but I'm just a bit confused about what you mean.

If you consider the lifespan of one of these coasters, a few months late opening is a drop in the bucket. Once It is up and running people won't care that it was late.

Generally speaking with projects big or small, things tend to cost more and take longer than you expect. As experienced as the builders are, it is still a one-off/ prototype of a complex machine being built outdoors in a harsh environment. You can pad in a bunch of extra time to complete the project, adding cost, or accept that if there are delays it will be completed later than hoped.

What does it add to the cost to put all of the workers on overtime? VS How much revenue is lost by not having it open for the slow early season? As a business they probably decide the gain from opening at the beginning of the season is not worth the extra cost of rushing to finish. It also makes no sense to rush testing and then have a problem where the train valleys and strands riders creating a pr nightmare and casting a bad light on an expensive attraction.

On the bonus side, it is interesting (for me anyway) to see the project as it comes together. The fact that the park is now open so fellow coasternerds get to see the construction and take work in progress photos is pretty cool. PR wise they get people talking about the ride and the park longer as anticipation grows. more free publicity!

^yes, a few month delay is a drop in the bucket considering the ride will run for so long. But for guests who planned their trip around a opening date that has been set for so long, its a pretty big deal to not have the ride open. I'm not blaming the park for a harsh winter or delays...but it is 110% their fault for sticking to an opening date knowing full well the date was unrealistic (when the construction workers started working overtime, Six Flags clearly knew they were way behind schedule). The problem is leading people on for so long only to disappoint them. The fact that they didnt announce the delay in time for most people to rearrange their travel plans is where they really went wrong, IMO. And any other chain to do so is also at fault.

But to the person who listed the Cedar Fair delays...those are a bit incomparable. Cedar Fair usually announces delays and compensates for them.

Pretty much anyone here should realize that coasters and rides often open late and can have extensive downtown early in their lifetimes. Planning trips around original opening dates is a dangerous game. Especially if you're traveling.

Really with most opening dates on rides, all a park can do is estimate. The date was probably based on the projected time frame to build it, but not taking into account possible weather delays and other stuff. No need to complain about the pushed back date, the extra week is to make sure that everything is in place and complete, so there are no complications when it officially opens. Hey, at least it's not delayed nine months *cough* X *cough*.

The problem isn't scheduling trips around opening dates for most - it is when you schedule the trip a month or more after the original opening date and the ride still isn't open. Both big chains have been guilty of the sorts of investments that lead to this and no one is "innocent". As predictable as something like Goliath not opening on time was way back last year, it still isn't actively good.

Hell, I think most of the major "new for 2014" rides still haven't opened and won't be open by June 1.

Pretty much anyone here should realize that coasters and rides often open late and can have extensive downtown early in their lifetimes. Planning trips around original opening dates is a dangerous game. Especially if you're traveling.

"Anyone here" should realize that, sure. But the whole point of opening dates is to let the majority of the parks audience know when they should travel. If that wasnt the whole idea, why would they bother setting dates at all?

Delays happen, and thats fine. But its wrong, IMO, for a park to not let the people who are counting on the deadline they set for themselves know whats up.

Five minutes ago I just received the following email from Six Flags Great America:

"Good morning - The world’s tallest, steepest and fastest wooden roller coaster, Goliath, is coming soon. Thanks to Mother Nature’s freezing temperatures this winter and unseasonably cool and rainy spring, the final touches on Goliath have been delayed. We anticipate announcing the roller coaster’s new media preview and opening dates later this week."

For those of you who have signed up for the media event, here is what we are going to do. If you have registered for EITHER date, May 29th or June 6th, your name will be on the list for whatever the future date is going to be. If you can make the new date, AWESOME, if you can't, no worries. Hopefully there will be more opportunities in the future for other ride openings.

When the new date is announced I will send everyone the details ASAP. Keep in mind, at this stage of the project, it may very well be possible that any opportunities for riding might end up getting cancelled as I'm sure the focus now is to get the ride open for the public. I just want our members to be prepared for a worst case scenario.

And please try to stay as positive about this as you can. I realize and understand some of you might have made travel arrangements or changed plans, but when you are dealing with giant projects that have never been done before, it can be unpredictable. I'm sure the end result will be worth the wait!

Thank you everyone for your patience and understanding!

--Robb Alvey

www.themeparkreview.com

It could be worse. At least it's not as bad as SFMM construction.

Or any road construction. Seriously. Those pricks just close miles of lanes of traffic for months just so they can park one piece of equipment somewhere along that stretch and post one guy in a safety vest smoking a cigarette standing next to it. Road work blows.

As for the new delay, well, that blows, too. Still can't be upset about it, though. Things go wrong, problems arise, but it is what it is. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, there's plenty of other cool stuff in Great America and Chicago to keep people occupied.

I actually am okay with the delay. All of my General Public friends are extremely mad and all, but I would rather wait a bit than rush the project and do a sloppy job, especially with a roller coaster like Goliath.

Maybe a little time and TLC now will prevent down time while the ride breaks in. Someone else said it perfectly. This little bit of a delay, although inconvenient, compares to a few drops in the bucket throughout the life of this coaster (hopefully). To me, this seems normal, if not expected, for most large structures.

The Goliath crew took a day off today. Not mad, just pointing it out! I would need a day off with the family if I worked 14-20 days in a row too! They were probably approaching illegal labor practices and had to take off.

It could be worse. At least it's not as bad as SFMM construction.

it was awesome waiting for Superman way back when.

anyway, i'm excited to visit my birth city this summer for the first time since i think raging bull was brand new or 2nd year.

The construction crews didn't see their family. They went to a local dive, or a bar near Gurnee Mills and spilt the beans on how much they hate their life right now.

1/2 joke, get it!?!?!

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!!!! So funny!!!!

In other words... I can NOT wait to see testing videos of Goliath!!!

The construction crews didn't see their family. They went to a local dive, or a bar near Gurnee Mills and spilt the beans on how much they hate their life right now.

1/2 joke, get it!?!?!

You're probably pretty close to the truth.

Hell, I think most of the major "new for 2014" rides still haven't opened and won't be open by June 1.

This is becoming pretty common in the USA over the last 5+ years and is one of the main reasons we always do our USA TPR Trips in late summer.

It does seem that way, but you have to look at them on a case-by-case basis. Nothing should come as a major shock.

- Nothing at Six Flags is ever open on opening day and usually opens in June if it's a larger ride.

- Cedar Fair generally opens their new rides on time, though with prototype rides they may be a little late.

- B&M rides almost always open on time unless they're being built at a Six Flags park.

- Intamin rides rarely open on time, especially when they have brand new technologies but they're usually awesome once they open.

- Dollywood always finishes construction on new rides really quickly and everyone is shocked at how fast they manage to get everything built.

- Disney and Universal usually don't announce opening dates very far in advance because they always push the limits of technology with their rides. Planning around these things until a date is announced is pointless. Just be patient and it will be worth the wait.

This is what happens every year and seems to sum up what's happened so far this year. Yes it is pretty funny that Six Flags America hasn't been able to open a relocated Wild Mouse yet and it's after Memorial day and SFMM is on pace to open their kiddy coaster during Fright Fest at this point but Six Flags does things like this every year.

^I can't speak for MM, but it seems to me what they're trying to do is keep the Xtreme excitement going throughout the year. They will probably open Speedy's Jumping Bean, Sombrero, Lowrider, Lawn Mowing, Siesta coaster after Batman and Colossus stop they're backward runs in July. Cause' after the insanity that is Namtab and Sussoloc, nothing says Xtreme like a kiddie coaster! YOLO BABY! YOLO!

Guy "Prepping my a$$ for a bit of the ol' credit whoring." Koepp

youd think these parks would want the new attractions open ASAP, and hire some more construction workers and go to 3 shifts, 24/7 and get these rides open. six flags is just a joke on how they operate. no excuse not having a new ride open by now.