TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Whoaaaa... didn't expect my comment about playing hooky from school to being a discussion regarding the current education system. I think this just proves the Coaster Community DOES care. Regardless of where you stand when it comes to skipping school.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure the "logistics" behind a last minute trip to Chicago. I'm very comfortable utilizing Chicago's commuter trains and public transportation. Any suggestions for the best way to get from downtown to SFGAm if I'm not renting a car? I'd like to take the train out of St. Louis, as The 9YO Coaster Kid still has a fascination with anything that moves via rails, and stay somewhere within walking distance to Union Station.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Just talked to someone at the park from guest relations and they mentioned that they are hoping to get the track done by Sunday. Not sure if that means laid or filled with grout and ready for testing. They also mentioned that there was only 30 test runs required. Not sure if I believe that, but who knows. It will open when it opens.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure the "logistics" behind a last minute trip to Chicago. I'm very comfortable utilizing Chicago's commuter trains and public transportation. Any suggestions for the best way to get from downtown to SFGAm if I'm not renting a car? I'd like to take the train out of St. Louis, as The 9YO Coaster Kid still has a fascination with anything that moves via rails, and stay somewhere within walking distance to Union Station.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

It can be done, you would just have to do a few transfers. You'd have to walk from Union Station to Metra Ogilvie Transportation Center, which is only 3 blocks. Take the Metra Union Pacific North line to Waukegan. You can then take a Pace bus from the Metra station to the park. The SFGAm bus stop is at Grand Ave and Six Flags Drive, so you'd still have to walk down Six Flags Drive to the park entrance. All easy to do without a rental car.

Just FYI- Bus fare is $1.85 each way for an adult, and your 9 year old is $0.85. Metra train fare is $6.75 each way for an adult, and $3.25 for your child.

Goliath looks great, but I feel like the hand rails on the lift would have looked better if they were steel.

There is something rustic and creepy about the wooden handrails on such a huge ride. It also makes it look remotely trough-like; a psuedo half-tunnel almost. I like it!

At my school, it is hard to make any vacations. You miss 8 days of school, your suspended.

That's idiotic. You miss 8 days of school so they punish you by making you miss more school? What's the point? You're supposed to get an education

Edited by tribar

At my school, it is hard to make any vacations. You miss 8 days of school, your suspended.

That's idiotic. You miss 8 days of school so they punish you by making you miss more school? What's the point? Your supposed to get an education

LOL, guess you missed a few days of school yourself, didya?

Have we ever gotten an idea about where all these RMC workers live during construction jobs like this? Do they all stay at extended stay places? How much of the crew is actually from out west, and how many local workers are brought in? Just curious if we know.

Looking great - really excited to see whatever lighting that put on this thing, too.

That's idiotic. You miss 8 days of school so they punish you by making you miss more school? What's the point? Your supposed to get an education

LOL, guess you missed a few days of school yourself, didya?

Have we ever gotten an idea about where all these RMC workers live during construction jobs like this? Do they all stay at extended stay places? How much of the crew is actually from out west, and how many local workers are brought in? Just curious if we know.

Looking great - really excited to see whatever lighting that put on this thing, too.

That's not a lack of education, it's a typo

'Twas a joke.

I'm struck at how long it's been since that corner of the park would be the destination for those 'not running' at rope drop in the morning.

The last time people came running to that corner was probably when Wolf first opened which has been almost 25 years.

Here comes some track! At least I think it's track...

'Twas a joke.

I'm struck at how long it's been since that corner of the park would be the destination for those 'not running' at rope drop in the morning.

The last time people came running to that corner was probably when Wolf first opened which has been almost 25 years.

Here comes some track! At least I think it's track...

For some reason I can't recall how bananas it was back there for Iron Wolf's early years (I remember the extended line, just saying I can't recall if it was a mad dash to get back there) ... but I do recall how bonkers it was for Z-Force.

^woop woop! Lookin good Might be a longshot, but a viewing area under the ride would be a big hit. I remember Demon having one under the corks, but that was gone by the late 80s. (Does the CA Demon still have its viewing area?)

Yes it does but not under the corks, just near them. It's actually a pathway that's part of the exit.

Whoaaaa... didn't expect my comment about playing hooky from school to being a discussion regarding the current education system. I think this just proves the Coaster Community DOES care. Regardless of where you stand when it comes to skipping school.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Do you not own a car? Driving will be 10 times easier.

I would so love to ride this thing. And I`m a big fan of the structure

But I don`t get used to the red track in combination with the brown colors of the rest. It just doesn`t fit at all IMHO

Anyway, the ride will kick all kinds of a$$ for shure

^woop woop! Lookin good Might be a longshot, but a viewing area under the ride would be a big hit.

That would be really cool! And also make for some great pictures.

1400830965081385.thumb.jpg.fc34336d6bf24919b771df4612d2fc42.jpg

Zero G stall track is totally finished! Except for the exit!

You can tell when zooming on the webcam, but it is hard to see here. Two (or more) pieces of track were added in the stall, and the end of those new pieces is blurred within the first drop track.