TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

It wasn't until the last day or two that it really clicked with me just how intimidating the steel structure will be. And the drop is looking amazing. Also, I love how it blends with the wood structure so well--is it painted or weathered at all, or just purposely bare? I usually hate the look of yet-to-be-painted coaster steel, but this is perfect!

It wasn't until the last day or two that it really clicked with me just how intimidating the steel structure will be. And the drop is looking amazing. Also, I love how it blends with the wood structure so well--is it painted or weathered at all, or just purposely bare? I usually hate the look of yet-to-be-painted coaster steel, but this is perfect!

I think it was painted a dark brown back in Idaho (or wherever it was manufactured) but I'm not 100% positive.

It wasn't until the last day or two that it really clicked with me just how intimidating the steel structure will be.

I'm not sure - I thought the same thing after seeing Skyrush under construction but it wasn't really intimidating once I sat down in the seat.

It wasn't until the last day or two that it really clicked with me just how intimidating the steel structure will be.

I'm not sure - I thought the same thing after seeing Skyrush under construction but it wasn't really intimidating once I sat down in the seat.

I actually thought Skyrush (unlike most coasters, for me) look taller in person than in the pictures and videos.

Anyway, looks good. I'm one of those people that would have rather had a traditional wooden lift structure but I'm fine with this one, and I'm sure that its awesomeness will make up for that.

I actually thought Skyrush (unlike most coasters, for me) look taller in person than in the pictures and videos.

Anyway, looks good. I'm one of those people that would have rather had a traditional wooden lift structure but I'm fine with this one, and I'm sure that its awesomeness will make up for that.

I think the thing that makes Goliath intimidating is the thin beams that make up the lift structure. That is one thing Skyrush does not have - Skyrush is more of a thick beam.

Also, I love how it blends with the wood structure so well--is it painted or weathered at all, or just purposely bare? I usually hate the look of yet-to-be-painted coaster steel, but this is perfect!

I think it was painted a dark brown back in Idaho (or wherever it was manufactured) but I'm not 100% positive.

Glad I asked! I didn't notice anyone talking about it, and my eyes just weren't telling me the difference. But whatever they did, I think it was the right choice.

Was at the park all day yesterday. First thing, I would avoid Angelo's. This is the second week in a row where it's been a disaster. The line there took longer than any ride. The wait was approx 45 minutes around 1:30 PM. And then we end up with frigid cold pizza that doesn't taste exactly edible. The wife requested I go and ask for replacements, which the lead, Antonio, promptly took care of. He offered a free drink, but since we already bought one, the supervisor gave us a funnel cake. Great America should do this for everyone who waited forever for unacceptable food. They have this long offseason and near 40 years of experience, you'd think they could at least get a basic food place running correctly by opening day. It just makes them look like a typical cheap corporation that only wants to hire half the amount of workers needed, even if that's not necessarily the case. Angelo's has really been the only problem dining location for me over the last two years. Might have something to do with there being less options on that side of the park.

For dinner there was absolutely no problem at maw and paws. Barely a line. You can get the turkey leg with the dining pass again, for an additional $2. The donut shop has subs on the pass too. Everywhere we looked, more options were added to the dining pass. That is a great improvement.

This was grad night so there had to have been over 40 buses. The main lot was maybe 60% full with a few scattered cars in the overflow. Batman had some glitch, but then reopened pretty fast. That line wasn't past the interior part. When we got off the ride, it was out maybe 20 people past the test seat. If you ever have trouble fitting in this ride, take off your coat. That enabled me to push the seatbelt in a couple inches further. For some reason the ride didn't feel all that forceful to me. Maybe because I was on the left inside seat. Definitely wish it had a few more inversions as the ones it does have are over so fast.

Whirley gig had no line as usual. Eagle's line was spilling out a bit past the blue side stairs into the tunnel underneath the ride. Wait was probably close to half an hour. Man, that red side felt violent riding in the middle. Not anywhere as bad as mean streak, but the Eagle definitely was very forceful and bumpy at times. Not too different from last season. Tons of air. I keep forgetting how small the seats are. They really seem built for kids 10-20.

X Flight was next. Line was a little past the keyhole, which is usual. Back to outside seat row 4, right side. People who think this is slow and forceless are out of their minds. This thing is very forceful on its inversions and any time it puts you on ur side. The inversions are almost up there with the pretzel loop. If this just had one more spin before ending it would be perfect.

Demon was the last we rode. Same as last season. Awesome first drop, choppy going through the inversions. It looks a lot more fluid than it feels. Line was a little bit past the part of the queue with the rails. Took about 20 some minutes. It's a little weird seeing the handles with the metal exposed.

If you buy a $14.99 Goliath shirt or one of the more expensive ones, you can ride it at 11:59 June 1st if I recall the sign. That's what the wife said, but I thought they meant the Saturday night before it opens. Can't find any verification on the Six Flags site.

And despite it feeling pretty cold with the cloudy skies and wind, people were riding Yankee Clipper and Buccaneer Battle. I swear this place could be open in winter months and people will still show up in these numbers and go on the water rides. This weather was probably worse than Fright Fest for me. I don't recall feeling like I needed a hood on much of any Fright Fest days.