TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Actually, unless they get an exception from the Village of Gurnee Board they can't do around the clock testing. They have quite a few restrictions in place for noise. Maybe they've got something worked out already.

Curious as to whether this applies to just testing of a ride - I would imagine that the noise complaints (and laws) are concerned with people screaming beyond a certain time, so (and I don't know the restrictions like someone local might) maybe they would be able to circulate trains overnight during the testing period seeing as there would be minimal noise?

It's using poly wheels and the concrete grout also minimizes the sound coming from the track. You'll have to be in the park to hear it more than likely. Outlaw Run uses steel wheels and doesn't sound as loud as other wooden coasters.

The only thing that's really loud on Outlaw Run is the chain lift. I love it though because it sounds like a traditional clanky wooden roller coaster lift, yet it's far from being a traditional wooden roller coaster.

Is it wrong of me to say that this ride looks stunning and yet, simple enough, to possibly become a cookie-cutter coaster for other Six Flags parks?

When SFGAm announced Goliath, it reminded me of a wooden (kind of) take on X, sans the whole 4D thing. When X was announced, I thought it's design would lend itself well to chain-wide cloning, and maybe it could have if it wasn't for the difficulties that plagued it early on.

I think the tunnel, make that 'tunnels' make the ride more difficult to clone. And it's not as small as we originally thought. I don't foresee this ride becoming the new norm, especially if X-Flight hasn't been cloned yet.

We finally have our untamed, Raging Bull. (in a sense)

I seriously can not wait for this thing to open. I watch day by day to see any little progress. It's been a long time since I have been this excited to see a coaster up and running!! It is looking amazing!!! I love the lift supports... or lack there of.

When was the last time that Six Flags even cloned one of their coasters? It's been a while.

2009 The Dark Knight, if I'm not mistaken.

And even then, the Dark Knight coasters were canned Mack Wild Mouse layouts that were designed to fit on an exactly rectangular plot of land.

I think that the last time Six Flags cloned a previously-custom coaster was in 2003 for Six Flags Magic Mountain - Scream being a clone of Medusa / Bizarro.

I think that the last time Six Flags cloned a previously-custom coaster was in 2003 for Six Flags Magic Mountain - Scream being a clone of Medusa / Bizarro.

And that was the same year (2003) that both Great America and Great Adventure received their Supermen.

In addition to being custom built for our park and the conditions of of that site, with the sharp turns around the pond and in that landscape dividing orleans place from yankees harbor, the ride is also arguably better than some other batman clones because it runs an 8-train car. Most batmans do, but I have noticed that the clone at fiesta texas, called goliath, runs a 7-car train. This ride would be slower and thus less intense. In conclusion, if you've written off batmans because of a clone at another park, please give ours a whirl. It is a classic and still rides like brand new. Bull and Batman are my favorite coasters and I will always wait as long as it takes to get on batman!

^I agree. I've only ridden Batman La Fuga at Parque Warner, but it is one of my favorite coasters. It's a perfect example of why older B&M's are better than newer. The Zero G and the flatspins are perfect.

On Goliath... It's looking amazing. I wasn't sure about the lift structure when I saw the renders, but is really growing on me. I can't wait to see it finished.

I really have to agree on the setting of the ride. It is hands down the best themed Batman. Do the other ones even have the police car after the zero - G? For the best Batman clone (ride experience) I would give that to La Ronde - one of the most forceful coasters I have ever been on.

On to the topic of Goliath, It looks like right now they are filling the airtime hill with grout. Can't wait to see the lift structure complete. It will really dominate that area of the park - should be very intimidating to park guests.

Goliath update: Right now, the crew is extending the break run walkway all the way up to the negative G float entryway into the break run. The train will be going fast enough that I anticipate airtime into the final break, and the walkway is now extending the entire length of that. Grout is being poured in that very location, and crews are also working on the zero g stall, where the track will be placed. Earlier today they added some steel to the first drop, so you can see where the next piece before the exit of the first drop will be placed.

Marcus Leshock, a coaster fanatic turned WGN news team member, took a construction tour this morning and a member at sfgamworld shared this information with their discussion of goliath. He will have a morning news segment on WGN airing Wednesday and I'm sure the story will be posted to their site for later viewing. He also took some amazing pictures that are on his Facebook page, and his photos show some great news: a Waukegan contractor is constructing the roof over the first drop and zero g stall exit, confirming that it will be a "tunnel"/enclosed!

I really have to agree on the setting of the ride. It is hands down the best themed Batman. Do the other ones even have the police car after the zero - G?

The one in Madrid is decently themed:

parquewarner108.jpg.d7213998e1e571c6379d9aae8fef32ba.jpg

wbmw102.jpg.2b3997340d9b537f56f56455cc88ddf5.jpg

wbmw103.jpg.6d292e362d3406af000fa0a9e167ec15.jpg

wbmw104.jpg.2ca132ea566d6f0656787141dd702c19.jpg

wbmw81.jpg.df905a679507ec392afb0c50c3ec9d3a.jpg

wbmw91.jpg.4e096d7d9bf8f0c3d08b6dd46a18cc5b.jpg

wbmw96.jpg.f31b0f50dd188a845190c44964748471.jpg

As to he experience, I haven't had the chance to ride many (just this one^ and Great Adventure's) and I prefer the latter as I think it is more intense. Plus, it was 20 last year (last time I rode it) and running perfectly, very smooth. However, I do agree that the one at great America has better surroundings (the trees and the water...) and in that POV Goooose posted it is running really fast.

^I haven't been there for quite a while, actually (given that it's "only" 6 hours away, the closest park from my home) but it's king of special for me as it was where I rode my first B&M and first "proper" coaster (batman). I'm just waiting for the Coaster Express RMC treatment to come

^^Does that mean the whole brake run is now in place? (hard to tell the location of that piece from the photo)

The picture is the section of brakes right before you enter the station since the train will be stored below the station.

Roof going over Goliath's tunnel...

582742241_ScreenShot2014-05-12at5_39_38PM.png.073bb019dba1bf563ab8adf5f3f83f4b.png

From SFGAm's Instagram