TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

The view from the top of the lift should be great. You can see the whole park to your left and if you look to your far right, you'll be able to see the Downtown Chicago skyline. One of my favorite things about riding American Eagle is seeing the Chicago skyline on a clear day and you'll definitely be able to see it from Goliath as well. In other words, you'll be able to see 40+ miles from the top of this.

Ohhhh that's pathetic... Look at the signs cedar fair has put in at leviathan, gate keeper, and banshee... This looks like a piece if paper... Blah!

If you ever wanted proof that some people seriously LOOK for things to b**ch about, there you go!

This is another crazy, awesome-looking coaster from one of the ballsiest companies making coasters today, and you want to moan about the sign?? Yep, Leviathan and GateKeeper both have better looking signs. But, I'm guessing that will be the only thing they will have over Goliath once it's open and people start riding it. Give me the better ride experience any day over a fancier sign! (For the record, I actually kinda dig the roman-esque columns around the entrance!)

Goliath looks fantastic! It is killing me that I've yet to ride an RMC coaster.....gotta fix that at some point, as they all look incredible!

Has anyone ever figured out if the red/orange track is a Six Flags mandate...?

I also wonder about the color of the lift - wouldn't it look cooler if it were brown? Clearly it doesn't really matter, but I'm wondering if there was a reason to go with black ... or did they choose that based on thinking it was the best color?

I'm not nitpicking, so we don't need a redo of the "omG, youi're complaining about the sign...look at this coaster!!" pile on. I'm honestly just curious if anyone knows why they'd choose black for the lift, and they continue to go with the red/orange track.

Also, has anyone does a photoshop of how tall they think the lift will actually look like (on the webcam image)? Also, it seems like the tallest part of the structure wasn't even part of the rendering, so it's looking quite a bit different).

Has anyone ever figured out if the red/orange track is a Six Flags mandate...?

I also wonder about the color of the lift - wouldn't it look cooler if it were brown? Clearly it doesn't really matter, but I'm wondering if there was a reason to go with black ... or did they choose that based on thinking it was the best color?

I'm not nitpicking, so we don't need a redo of the "omG, youi're complaining about the sign...look at this coaster!!" pile on. I'm honestly just curious if anyone knows why they'd choose black for the lift, and they continue to go with the red/orange track.

Also, has anyone does a photoshop of how tall they think the lift will actually look like (on the webcam image)? Also, it seems like the tallest part of the structure wasn't even part of the rendering, so it's looking quite a bit different).

I thought the lift's steel structure is a very dark brown. I could be wrong, but it looks dark brown in the sunlight.

^^The lift hill structure is definitely brown, not black. It looks black on the camera, but in person, it is a nice brown color that fits the colors of the rest of the coaster well.

Edited by ilrider

Come on people! Are we seriously arguing about a sign! This is RMC we're talking about. We all know Six Flags doesn't theme their coasters like Disney or Universal, but this is a world class coaster which I would prefer 100x more than a fancy sign. The sign looks fine in my opinion, Six Flags could've just not done any theming at all on Goliath, but no, at least they're doing something!

I really wish the queue went under the zero g stall. Maybe it will, or maybe itll provide some freaky views of it!!

Take a look at this zoom. Nitice that the bulk of the structure is directly in line with the loop. THE TRACK OD THE ZERO G STALL WILL BE SSPENDED OFF TO THE RIGHT, from 4-6 PIECES OF STEEL! Actually, thats what the concept art showdd, but Im only seeing two places where the track will attach right now! So scary and amazing!

image.thumb.jpg.e978c468fa2cfe50489389962c5d4596.jpg

It makes zero sense because there is still track, and many steel coasters go hundreds of feet between supports, depending on the length of the individual pieces (and big B&M's have sparse support structures with bigger tubular supports)... but this feels like a trackless element! The track is there, yes, but its the closest I feel like we will ever come to a coaster jumping the track! I think you are right, its because the pre-fab wood with the steel topper track is just suspended on its own without the track being attached to the web structure seen on intamin or the box seen on B&M's. It literally is the most see-through element/inversion, and the most naked element on any coaster, perhaps anywhere. I'm truly blown away! RMC, only you! One prime example of their wooden and I-box configuration being better than traditional steel.

One prime example of their wooden and I-box configuration being better than traditional steel.

I don't really understand this, seeing as steel coasters have no support on the top half of their loops, either. RMC's technology isn't outdoing steel - this element is possible because the train is going to be moving quickly enough that it'll be pushing up on those beams rather than pulling down, and they'll carry that load to the truss above. It really has nothing to do with slapping a steel layer on top of some wood and suddenly having some technology that's way better or more advanced than anything we've ever seen.

One prime example of their wooden and I-box configuration being better than traditional steel.

I don't really understand this, seeing as steel coasters have no support on the top half of their loops, either. RMC's technology isn't outdoing steel

Oh, but it is. and I already tried to explain this but since that didn't work, I'll use imagery to demonstrate my point.

B&M: bmtrack.jpg.d6996d44606578ae655ca2288926e2c1.jpg

Intamin: intamintrack.jpg.d3548a8781f46f8ddc20e4290f41b498.jpg

Goliath: 727611794_1553328_10151887991301356_1910532623_o(1).jpg.80944af0a7cf24f4f2f27de11b24be96.jpg

See what's missing? There is no support system built into the track itself. The rails are running free, save for a few bars attaching it to the supports that are off to the side. Its as if a steel coaster like B&M wasn't just missing supports, but missing the square box as well and was just two stainless steel rails. There are far fewer track ties keeping the rails together. Over the course of an inversion that long, several hundred feet, there are only about 12 track ties. The gap between the track ties appears to be the length of a train car or even a bit longer. B&M's pass a track tie every 2 feet or so and Intamin's, well, are they ever not?

And as I mentioned earlier, there are only two visible steel beams extending off of the arch at the moment, whereas in the concept art, there are 5 or 6. If those are not installed later on, and since the structure is turning out different than the latest concept art already and it would be so much easier to have installed it while the rest of the arch was being built on the ground, it is likely that the zero g stall will be even more stripped and naked than the concept art posted here!

Edited by Goooose

^Good explanation. I'd would guess the tie to tie distance to be about 4 feet though. RMC also seems like they are ready to do complete custom jobs; work around stuff and build interesting rides.

It's refreshing among all the B&M stuff. I'd even put GCI and Intamin in bunch. Good rides, but all very same-y.

I don't really understand this, seeing as steel coasters have no support on the top half of their loops, either. RMC's technology isn't outdoing steel

Oh, but it is. and I already tried to explain this but since that didn't work, I'll use imagery to demonstrate my point.

B&M: intamintrack.jpg[/attachment]

Goliath: [attachment=2]1553328_10151887991301356_1910532623_o (1).jpg[/attachment]

See what's missing? There is no support system built into the track itself. The rails are running free, save for a few bars attaching it to the supports that are off to the side. Its as if a steel coaster like B&M wasn't just missing supports, but missing the square box as well and was just two stainless steel rails. There are far fewer track ties keeping the rails together. Over the course of an inversion that long, several hundred feet, there are only about 12 track ties. The gap between the track ties appears to be the length of a train car or even a bit longer. B&M's pass a track tie every 2 feet or so and Intamin's, well, are they ever not?

And as I mentioned earlier, there are only two visible steel beams extending off of the arch at the moment, whereas in the concept art, there are 5 or 6. If those are not installed later on, and since the structure is turning out different than the latest concept art already and it would be so much easier to have installed it while the rest of the arch was being built on the ground, it is likely that the zero g stall will be even more stripped and naked than the concept art posted here!

Thats a good explanation. On a side note... THANK GOD for Fast Lane at Cedar Point! Look how long MF's queue is!

It's definitely a great achievement but we have to keep in mind that the "rails" themselves on this ride consist of a thick steel part as well as a few wood plates while B&M's (for instance) are just a tube, so they're a lot thicker. Still very impressive, though, and it will definitely look great when going through the inversion.