TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

The diagram of the wheels is wrong, right? Don't all three wheels make contact with the steel piece, on the top side and bottom?

And the fact that they make it out like three wheels is a new feature is funny.

Lol true!! Based on that diagram, the upstop wheels dont touch ANYTHING and the coaster is going to fly off the tracks. The track here (in the diagram) isn't to scale... Or maybe its the wheels? Either way, they should all touch the steel.

Am I the only one with a small tear of sadness at a newspaper headline with such horrid grammar as "This Goliath huge"? "Is huge"? And what about "Huge" with a capital "H"? Nice write up, though...

Agreed. Its like they can't figure out how to use it in a sentence. It is a NAME. You don't need to say "the Goliath" and you also cannot just say This Goliath huge." Reminds me of the "blacky weather report" in Family Guy: " ITS GON RAIN."

This article makes me think that (even though I admit that it seems hard to believe) Six Flags is really really confident about the May 31st date. They wouldn't have given a specific date and allowed it to be exposed so publically otherwise, unless they either believe that all publicity (including complains when you don't hit a date that's now very public) is good publicity, or they're really incompetent. Hopefully neither of those is the case.

"This Goliath huge" doesn't even make sense. Maybe This Goliath IS huge.

It does make sense, if you just think of Goliath as a word meaning "Giant" instead of a name and if you consider that it's a headline, which doesn't really have to be a full sentence. Basically, they're trying to make a stupid pun about the fact that "Goliath" means huge, and the ride IS huge. It seems weird out of context I guess, but as a newspaper headline seems pretty standard.

I respectfully disagree. "This giant huge" makes no more sense than "this Goliath huge". Had it been "This Huge Goliath" it would still allow the play on words and wouldn't sound illiterate.

Again, I really think people are missing the fact that it's a headline. It's acceptable to leave out the "is" in a headline, so it's basically "This Goliath Is Huge", which I think everybody would agree does make sense. See http://www.englishlessonsbrighton.co.uk/8-grammar-rules-writing-newspaper-headlines/ - Rule 5 is "Leave out “to be”

Residents unhappy about new road (residents are unhappy)

Family of murder victim satisfied with court decision (family of murder victim is satisfied.)"

And that's the last I have to say about this, because I'm pretty sure newspaper grammar doesn't actually have anything to do with what this forum is about.

^ That's why they put in a motor that can run the chain at a good constant speed, handle the weight of the train and run consistently throughout the season. It's lot like taking care of the engine in a car. If you change the oil, make sure everything is in proper condition, and don't do things that puts stress on the car and engine. The car and engine will last a very long time. It won't give you any major problems.

The chain itself, that thing goes through a lot. Unlike the newer B&Ms, these have 2x the exposure.

Hi, I'm new to these forums!

I'm actually going to SFGAm tomorrow for opening day, despite the crummy weather. Does anyone know if Goliath will be running tomorrow? Is it completeted? I haven't been paying attention to the status of Goliath as much as I should have. I have checked the camera every week or so, but I am still unsure. I am assuming its not from the posts above mine. But I really wish they could have had it for opening day if so.

Thanks!

Sorry For my bad questions.

I'm actually going to SFGAm tomorrow for opening day, despite the crummy weather. Does anyone know if Goliath will be running tomorrow? Is it completeted? I haven't been paying attention to the status of Goliath as much as I should have. I have checked the camera every week or so, but I am still unsure. I am assuming its not from the posts above mine. But I really wish they could have had it for opening day if so.

Thanks!

It will. It's the first wooden roller coaster where the train jumps the lift hill to get to the drop.

Thanks!

They still have some work to do on the lift and first drop as well as the top of the Zero-G stall. Then they have to test it. The park's target date of opening Goliath is May 31st. Welcome to the forums!

I don't want to sound negative or anything, but I now doubt that Goliath will be open by memorial day. I think the bad winter really affected the construction. I'd expect the coaster to be open next month, maybe a few weeks after memorial day.

Thanks!

The weather tomorrow is actually supposed to be very nice, with partly sunny skies and mid 60s temps. A ton better than it has been all week and great weather for opening day. Enjoy!

I think they only need a week to test this ride, IMO. They can do test runs all through the night if they have to. They'll probably have to go through a period of going through the soft polyurethane wheel to the hard ones. Getting the trains and track broken in won't be a problem. After that, all that needs to happen is for the ride to pass the state inspection. With the world class engineering from RMC, the ride should pass with flying colors.

I previously said I was loving the way the dive loops looks, and how the track doesn't bend into the inversion, and that it looks like it 'snaps' into the dive nice and quick. I just saw the picture of the beginning on the zero-g-stall, and it looks like RMC is giving us another quick, breath taking inversion. Dada-DA-dah-DAA, I'm Lovin' It.

Goliath looks like it will leave the crowds breathless, giving standing ovations(at least people will try), with a clap-happy return to the station,

I think Goliath will be a hit. There are lots of people here in the Chicago metropolitan area who have never seen a Rocky Mountain woodie, let alone ridden one. They are in for a kick-ass surprise.