TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I'm sure we'll never know the real answer, but there were weeks after the ride was approved and announced where it didn't appear anything was being done. Like I said, we don't know, maybe there were reasons for that and they were doing things that nobody knows, but I have to think that the park could have pushed up the timeline a few weeks if they had chosen to. Like I've said previously, though, I just really don't think Six Flags cares - as long as they get it open by early summer and they can push it all winter and sell lots of passes, they're happy.

Welp, there was a crackle of thunder around 12:30 just before their lunch break and they all went home for the day. The fog cleared up, rain stopped, and the overall afternoon conditions are better than this morning's. See you in June, Goliath.

I don't care if it opens in mid June.

Boo Hoo, SFGAm didn't start construction in August, such heathens!

Perhaps! They were late on everything from finalizing plans with RMC, to then finding out Gurnee's approval board(????) was overbooked.

\

Welp, there was a crackle of thunder around 12:30 just before their lunch break and they all went home for the day. The fog cleared up, rain stopped, and the overall afternoon conditions are better than this morning's. See you in June, Goliath.

Yeah, I do not get that at all. I understand not working in a thunderstorm for obvious reasons, but on radar it was clearly a small cell that would pass, and the radar cleared after it.

They should have gone the SDC route. Started a year early, then deny, deny, deny, until you're ready to announce. If you asked anyone in the park the year before, what they were building (even though it was painfully obvious it was a coaster) they would just respond with, "Construction? I haven't noticed any construction." Then when the ride was almost complete, they announced, "Hey er'body, guess what? We're building a coaster for next year. Surprise!" Oh, and it will be fully functioning when we open the gates for the first time of the season. In March!

Robb just confirmed that media day will be the 29th. I am so annoyed right now because my school is going to D.C. during that time so I am going to miss it. Now if the opening could be pushed back further...

I'm honestly surprised they could announce a date well before they complete construction, and that the date is actually in May! But until testing is complete, there's no way to know for sure.

^ I was thinking about that, but then the park would have the GP being like "Woah, woah what's that? the new ride is open! Let's take a ride!"

Well, if I'm not mistaken the park is going to have that anyway, because season pass day is supposed to be on a regular operating day.

If I recall correctly, Bizzaro at Gadv had it's media day while the park was open. After the media event in the morning, they opened the ride to the public for the rest of the day. I believe TDK was the same way. It would not surprise me at all to see media day during regular operations.

They are about to install the piece that will finally connect the lift to the support tower! The piece they installed earlier today was hanging off of the existing structure and unable to support itself. It looks like they have one crane lifting this piece, another holding the piece they installed this morning in place, and then some fork lifts with welders ready to secure the first piece at its base. Not to mention all the workers on the highest piece of the lift to weld everything together up top.

Here she comes: 1398930645653819.thumb.jpg.0ef9f0e76195c02f34ca64db9e737d5b.jpg

Every time I look at that massive first overbank it blows me away. Looks so incredibly "wrong" for a wood coaster - in a good way of course.

This is not to take away from the zero-g stall and the dive loop, which are wacky too. There's just something about the overbank and how it seems barely supported with the bents angling up.

Edited by LogBur