TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

^I forgot about the topper track filling and overlay. It is still a lot to, but the testing could be condensed into a smaller time slot if the construction takes longer. 25 cycles in a day is like nothing, I'm sure they could at least do 100 (or something around that).

Anyone know how long the testing for Outlaw Run took?

This lift is 45 degrees. How steep is Outlaw Run's lift? Also, some track is being lifted up now...

Also, it looks like they've finally finished up their work at the overbank turn (except for the remaining top layers of the topper track) and have the big crane over by the lift now.

They do not intentionally delay their ride openings! Chain-wide they should plan further in advance and have construction out ahead of marketing but that isnt typically the case. In the case pf Goliath they waited until AFTER they already announced the ride to get construction permits with the Village. This is why no construction happened until-when? November?

Also here is to hoping they can work in the rain. It isnt actually raining right now so I hope they remain on site and get done what they can, avoiding lightning this week! image.thumb.jpg.b5843897b63851601cbb1a46bb746e7d.jpg

I'm not sure I fault Six Flags for the delayed opening - for us to assume they "should've" started earlier, or did something different with permits is crazy. This is a large company with people a lot more knowledgeable about construction than us. I'm sure SF more than anyone wants it open soon but there are a million reasons why constructions or even permit started when they did - from knowing that if would be best to ask for permits at a certain time to get through political red tape, to not starting construction for certain financial reasons (I've been involved in projects where we literally had to wait until the start of the new quarter to ensure the costs 'hit' the books a certain way). I'm sure there are reasons - project stat dates are just picked at random.

...And the winter was among the worst on record - even with that the ride is coming in close to their anticipated opening day by a week or so? I'd say that pretty impressive.

Despite the weather forecast, nothing here yet. Damp conditions but no rain.

Grrrr I'm looking at the vertical support structure they put up friday and the end of the existing lift and I just can't wait to see a new piece go in connecting them.

I'm not sure I fault Six Flags for the delayed opening - for us to assume they "should've" started earlier, or did something different with permits is crazy. This is a large company with people a lot more knowledgeable about construction than us. I'm sure SF more than anyone wants it open soon but there are a million reasons why constructions or even permit started when they did - from knowing that if would be best to ask for permits at a certain time to get through political red tape, to not starting construction for certain financial reasons (I've been involved in projects where we literally had to wait until the start of the new quarter to ensure the costs 'hit' the books a certain way). I'm sure there are reasons - project stat dates are just picked at random.

...And the winter was among the worst on record - even with that the ride is coming in close to their anticipated opening day by a week or so? I'd say that pretty impressive.

I agree with most if what you said, but Six flags has a long history of very delayed openings. Goliath is a relatively short, compact wooden coaster with few bents needed for the tallest part- the lift. It will likely open a few days before the first of June, and even though it is wooden, it's not a VERY large project like a Giga or a longer wooden coaster. Look at El Toro in 2006. It is a very large coaster, but even being a prefab, it didn't open until mid June. With a history of late openings, snowy winters should be taken into account.

They aren't construction managers, and they aren't trained in public affairs. They hire an outside construction company. I don't care how large the corporation is--they do not specialize in construction. They specialize in amusement park operations. I am not angry that the coaster is a week behind schedule. I am a fan and so excited for this project to be complete! But that doesn't stop me from pointing out that construction always starts late at Great America.

^Pretty much the same forecast as today, rain and a chance of thunderstorms, isn't it? They have worked all day today. It could rain every day this week, but rain will not stop them. A thunderstorm might.

^No worries! I hope I did not come off as harsh. I wondered if maybe you knew something about tomorrow's weather I did not, as there is severe weather some places, but I think we will be north of it. I was just saying I think they work through rain, today being an example. If there are storms, I would think they would have to take a break for their safety, so you may end up being right if it storms a lot. There are thunderstorms possible in the afternoon.

Everyone loves to bash Six Flags for delayed projects, but it's not anyone's fault but RMC. And this is coming from an RMC lover. RMC is responsible for acquiring material (which hasn't been a problem), assembly and construction, delivery of trains and installation of all ground equipment necessary for operations.

Six Flags Great America couldn't receive construction permits until the Gurnee Village approved their request for a height variance. Even then, the area was already cleared and ready.

In the end, it was a one week delay, which is much shorter than I was hearing originally... so let's hope this new timeline sticks.

Everyone loves to bash Six Flags for delayed projects, but it's not anyone's fault but RMC. And this is coming from an RMC lover. RMC is responsible for acquiring material (which hasn't been a problem), assembly and construction, delivery of trains and installation of all ground equipment necessary for operations.

RMC has control of everything, except weather. And this year, weather played a huge factor in any delays that were experienced. I think Six Flags could have, however, played it safe like Kings Island and started construction much sooner, except that the train wouldn't have been operational for parts of last season if they did that.

RMC has control of everything, except weather. And this year, weather played a huge factor in any delays that were experienced. I think Six Flags could have, however, played it safe like Kings Island and started construction much sooner, except that the train wouldn't have been operational for parts of last season if they did that.

The main concern is not the train or even closing a section of the midway. The concern was with the entire project leaking, as it basically did once the park went to the fair board. Six Flags remains consistent with when they announce things and they don't want one announcement overshadowing another.