TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I can imagine this will be a major breakthrough for SFGAm as they should recieve much more attention from the general public when it opens in late May... (Sigh) This could very well become the biggest park in the chain ( If its not already) because let's face it, MM and GAdv only have a large roller coaster collection and nothing else in the park, or 2 big coasters and nothing else worth mentioning in the park.

I think you're forgetting Safari Off Road Adventure which has 3+ hour waits on a regular basis and seems to be the most popular ride at Great Adventure.

It has a capacity problem. Keep in mind that the attraction is a good hour+ long.

I'm sure a lot of people can't wait to ride Goliath's wood

Yahahahah!

I get it! It's a penis joke! You teenagers with your crazy high brow humor! It took me awhile, but when I did... ...BAM! Classic!

Guy "Dude! I'm 47 and I wood have done the same thing." Koepp

See what I did there. ^Penis Joke!=Hilarity!

I can imagine this will be a major breakthrough for SFGAm as they should recieve much more attention from the general public when it opens in late May... (Sigh) This could very well become the biggest park in the chain ( If its not already) because let's face it, MM and GAdv only have a large roller coaster collection and nothing else in the park, or 2 big coasters and nothing else worth mentioning in the park.

I agree with this, for the most part. They both have only 2 other attraction even worth mentioning.

GAdv is my homepark and I visited SFGAm back in 2006 and I completely disagree. Toro is arguably the #1 coaster in the world (steel or wood), Nitro is a much better ride than RB, front row on Ka is better than any ride I rode at SFGAm, both have B:TR and S:UF clones, then GAdv still got 2 medium-quality B&M's and a few decent family coasters. GADV also just added a 200ft Skyscreamer and the tallest drop ride in the world, a one of a kind safari attraction which the GP go nuts for, and a package of other flats.

I LOVED SFGAm...it's the nicest SF park I've been to and is quite well-rounded. But I still slightly prefer GAdv altogether when factoring in coasters, flats, and the safari. GAdv is also very nice besides a couple dead-ends, and operations are among the best in the chain.

Your criticisms do apply to SFMM, though. SFGAm and GAdv are probably the cream of the SF crop.

I'm sure a lot of people can't wait to ride Goliath's wood

Yahahahah!

I get it! It's a penis joke! You teenagers with your crazy high brow humor! It took me awhile, but when I did... ...BAM! Classic!

Guy "Dude! I'm 47 and I wood have done the same thing." Koepp

See what I did there. ^Penis Joke!=Hilarity!

Guy if you ever left this site I would be sad. I love your humor!

GAdv is my homepark and I visited SFGAm back in 2006 and I completely disagree. Toro is arguably the #1 coaster in the world (steel or wood), Nitro is a much better ride than RB, front row on Ka is better than any ride I rode at SFGAm, both have B:TR and S:UF clones, then GAdv still got 2 medium-quality B&M's and a few decent family coasters. GADV also just added a 200ft Skyscreamer and the tallest drop ride in the world, a one of a kind safari attraction which the GP go nuts for, and a package of other flats.

I LOVED SFGAm...it's the nicest SF park I've been to and is quite well-rounded. But I still slightly prefer GAdv altogether when factoring in coasters, flats, and the safari. GAdv is also very nice besides a couple dead-ends, and operations are among the best in the chain.

Your criticisms do apply to SFMM, though. SFGAm and GAdv are probably the cream of the SF crop.

Safari is a capacity nightmare and a waste of time to see something at any zoo, just without the chance of the animals attacking each other. Kingda is a great coaster, I agree with you. But Kilo is just a waste of space... Getting rid of a woodie for a record breaking drop tower and a capacity nightmare. Great. Nintro is just and out and back with more airtime; Raging Bull is for the twists and some air time. El Toro may be great, but the turns at the end seem a bit obnoxious. SFGAdv has great pontential, it's just being operated by the wrong person. In my opinion, there are too many large holes in the park at the moment.

I think you're forgetting Safari Off Road Adventure which has 3+ hour waits on a regular basis and seems to be the most popular ride at Great Adventure.

Yes, SEEMS to be the most popular even though it is a capacity nightmare compared to any park with any ride. Period. No questions asked.

Yes, SEEMS to be the most popular even though it is a capacity nightmare compared to any park with any ride. Period. No questions asked.

You're missing the point. The point is that it IS an insanely popular attraction. People are willing to wait for it.

You're missing the point. The point is that it IS an insanely popular attraction. People are willing to wait for it.

If all it takes is a 1000-1500 people to create a 3 hour queue line, it isn't actually that popular. It just means it has horrible throughput. Hell, does the park even have sign boards telling people how long the wait is? Fiesta Texas didn't have them for anything when I was there 2 weeks ago.

If all it takes is a 1000-1500 people to create a 3 hour queue line, it isn't actually that popular. It just means it has horrible throughput. Hell, does the park even have sign boards telling people how long the wait is? Fiesta Texas didn't have them for anything when I was there 2 weeks ago.

The fact is that those people would rather wait three hours for SORA than less for a coaster.

Safari is a capacity nightmare and a waste of time to see something at any zoo, just without the chance of the animals attacking each other. Kingda is a great coaster, I agree with you. But Kilo is just a waste of space... Getting rid of a woodie for a record breaking drop tower and a capacity nightmare. Great. Nintro is just and out and back with more airtime; Raging Bull is for the twists and some air time. El Toro may be great, but the turns at the end seem a bit obnoxious. SFGAdv has great pontential, it's just being operated by the wrong person. In my opinion, there are too many large holes in the park at the moment.

1) The safari always has a huge line, but it is also a 1 hour experience that can be longer if you decide to chill out at the stops. It is the largest safari around and inctedibly unique for a free, in-park attraction. They executed it exceptionally well, too. It is a ride that people go to the park solely to ride.

2) Rotting Lumber was a woodie in terrible condition and the GP hated it. Removing it for future expansion and adding the tallest drop tower in the world is a damn successful upgrade.

3) Who cares if Nitro is a simple out and back? It has about 7-8 pops of nice floater, a very intense helix and one of the best settings around. I was surprisingly impressed with RB despite mixed reviews. It has a neat layout and awesome fitst drop, but trims render the ride forceless and a solid step down from Nitro.

3) El Toro's ending is "obnoxious" to YOU, but to the court of public opinion it helps make it the best coaster in the world.

^You can include me in that court of opinion.

I enjoyed my first visit to SFGAm. But to be honest, I didn't find it to be any more or less impressive than any other 6F park. 1 stand out coaster, and a ton of other "fun" rides. Having ridden 2 of the 3 RMC's, I will give Goliath the benefit of the doubt and say that they will have 2 standout coasters in a few weeks. But that puts it on par with just about every other park in the chain. Aside from park layouts I find them all to be quite similar.

The point about which park is better is kinda moot. They're all Six Flags. You go in pretty much knowing what your gonna get, and when there is the off chance that a ride surprises you and delivers a bit more. Then. Huzzah! Whipped cream and a f*@kin cherry on your banana split!

This insane fanboyism is driving me nuts. My park is better than your park! No! My park is better than yours! I got news for you! MM is GAdv, is GAm, is FT, is oT, is DK, is oG, is NE, is Am, blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda! You know what? They all have a 6F before their name. Which puts them all in the same category. "We're your regional amusement park, buy a season pass and spend money here!

(Drops mic and walks away.)

This insane fanboyism is driving me nuts. My park is better than your park! No! My park is better than yours! I got news for you! MM is GAdv, is GAm, is FT, is oT, is DK, is oG, is NE, is Am, blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda! You know what? They all have a 6F before their name. Which puts them all in the same category. "We're your regional amusement park, buy a season pass and spend money here!

I really don't agree with this at all (and I usually agree with your posts). The parks usually have a similar feel to them, but the coaster and ride collections vary greatly. If you compare a park like Great Adventure to a park like Great Escape or Six Flags DIscovery Kingdom you can't tell me there isn't an enormous difference in the quality of the coasters.

Oh... and it's not fair to lump the other Six Flags parks in with Six Flags America. Six Flags America is a terrible park.

El Toro may be great, but the turns at the end seem a bit obnoxious.

Good, don't ride it then. It seems like you're in the minority since it got voted best wood coaster in the world again. Personally I (and pretty much everyone else) thinks the ending is awesome.

^You can include me in that court of opinion.

I enjoyed my first visit to SFGAm. But to be honest, I didn't find it to be any more or less impressive than any other 6F park. 1 stand out coaster, and a ton of other "fun" rides. Having ridden 2 of the 3 RMC's, I will give Goliath the benefit of the doubt and say that they will have 2 standout coasters in a few weeks. But that puts it on par with just about every other park in the chain. Aside from park layouts I find them all to be quite similar.

The point about which park is better is kinda moot. They're all Six Flags. You go in pretty much knowing what your gonna get, and when there is the off chance that a ride surprises you and delivers a bit more. Then. Huzzah! Whipped cream and a f*@kin cherry on your banana split!

I kind of agree, most of the parks have similar and the same kind of rides. Maybe a different one here and there, but they are pretty much the same. The only sit out parks would probably be there Flagship parks. (SFOT, SFGA,SFMM,SFGAD.) but other than that they are all the same parks. For the most part.

I really don't agree with this at all (and I usually agree with your posts). The parks usually have a similar feel to them, but the coaster and ride collections vary greatly. If you compare a park like Great Adventure to a park like Great Escape or Six Flags DIscovery Kingdom you can't tell me there isn't an enormous difference in the quality of the coasters.

I think the main point is just that the whole debate over which park is better is kind of dumb because they all have their various strengths and weaknesses, and many of those strengths and weaknesses line up because they're all Six Flags, and are nowhere near each other so there's not much point in comparing them to begin with. It all just leads to pointless feather-ruffling and crazy statements about El Toro's ending.

Kingda is a great coaster, I agree with you. But Kilo is just a waste of space... Getting rid of a woodie for a record breaking drop tower and a capacity nightmare. Great. Nintro is just and out and back with more airtime; Raging Bull is for the twists and some air time. El Toro may be great, but the turns at the end seem a bit obnoxious.