TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

1395388845849376.thumb.jpg.b034951945f579e15c777662648697db.jpgAlso, they are reinstalling the track between the overbank and the floater hill for the 3rd time at least. I'd like to look back and see if maybe the track has been smoothed out/modified? or perhaps they just needed that space to be track-free for construction access?

Construction of the dive loop seems to have stagnated, I assume they'll pick it up again after the final track on the overbank is constructed.

Something may have fallen on the track and damaged it, hence the removal and replacement of it, but I can't think of any other reason as to why they would do such a thing.

I'm not going to say anything about wood vs. steel, it's been talked to death ten times over. But I find it interesting that RMC coasters (or at least Goliath) don't have the side railings that look like single plank fences (not sure what they're called) on either side of the track. Is there a reason for this (extreme banking), or just stylistic? El Toro and many other extreme wooden-like coasters have these, but not Goliath.

I'm not going to say anything about wood vs. steel, it's been talked to death ten times over. But I find it interesting that RMC coasters (or at least Goliath) don't have the side railings that look like single plank fences (not sure what they're called) on either side of the track. Is there a reason for this (extreme banking), or just stylistic? El Toro and many other extreme wooden-like coasters have these, but not Goliath.

Probably they decided they aren't needed and also given that these RMC's go upside down and have high banked turns it would be difficult to install them.

I think that as the track is assembled fabricated steel parts, so it doesn't need the same type of maintenance as 'traditional wooden track'. A RMC employee said something along those lines in an outlaw run video.

Probably they decided they aren't needed and also given that these RMC's go upside down and have high banked turns it would be difficult to install them.

Do they really have a true purpose in the first place? All I can think of is as a guide rail for evac's and safety measures, but are they really necessary?

Traditional wooden coasters need daily maintenance along the length of the track. Technicians walk the track and look for loose bolts to tighten each operating morning. The differences between that type of track RMC topper track render this practice unnecessary, presumably.

Traditional wooden coasters need daily maintenance along the length of the track. Technicians walk the track and look for loose bolts to tighten each operating morning. The differences between that type of track RMC topper track render this practice unnecessary, presumably.

That makes sense, I know that Outlaw Run does have the rail on the lift hill, but that must be for evac's and safety measures like I said.

If the steel makes these wooden coasters last longer and ride smoother then I'm all for it. It's hard as the years go by watching some of the traditional wooden coasters that were once great, ripping themselves apart only to be trimmed to death and in some cases demolished.

Mt. Olympus must think they have RMC no-maintenance track.

IMG_0711.thumb.JPG.d58daa46a6aa13851930589e949fe3eb.JPG

The bottom of "The Drop" on Cyclops.

Mt. Olympus must think they have RMC no-maintenance track.

CCI quality approved.