TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

The lift will go up a lot faster than you guys think. They basically can pre-fab the whole thing and have it split into 3 or 4 big sections with the track already on it. If they get good weather, I bet they will have it done in two or three days. They don't need great weather to test in either. Outlaw Run was testing in February last year and ran all the way through December at Silver Dollar City.

goliathdiveloop.thumb.jpg.f1d6c45405d332619e878e4023925cdc.jpg

Dive loop as of 3pm.

I think the upper half of the dive loop went up really fast. About 2 weeks. And you can tell they are always weaving more wood and steal into existing structures, even after the bents add height to the structure. After this dive loop all that is left is the lift and the zero g stall which are the same structure.

I booked a trip here for June 12. Every year, I usually go try a new coaster and I always worry it won't be done in time. By now, I should have learned, but I just get too excited and can't wait. The way I see it, this coaster has to be completed in 8 weeks to leave enough time for testing and etc, to even have a chance to be open by June 1.

I do know one thing. No way, does that steel coaster lift, go up in only a couple days with a few crane lifts.

I booked a trip here for June 12. Every year, I usually go try a new coaster and I always worry it won't be done in time. By now, I should have learned, but I just get too excited and can't wait. The way I see it, this coaster has to be completed in 8 weeks to leave enough time for testing and etc, to even have a chance to be open by June 1.

I do know one thing. No way, does that steel coaster lift, go up in only a couple days with a few crane lifts.

I don't really get why so many people seem so worried about it not getting done in time. We're still over 2 months away from the scheduled opening date, it's mostly built, and there's been no indication of any problems. There's really no cause to worry.

I really wish the guy from the Banshee thread would come over here and do his OCD graphic update of the progress of construction! While I'm busy making requests, I'd also like an overlay of the layout on top of the most recent webcam image.

Also, I've got this knot in my neck that I just can't.....ah, thanks.

It really is stunning how giant this thing is - I can only imagine how massive it will look in person. I give the park a lot of credit for upgrading this corner of the park in this manner...INCREDIBLE!

Iron Wolf was really hidden behind the trees so there never was really anything impressive around Yukon Territory aside from Batman around the edge, and even though the entrance is in County Fair the ride will still dominate the center of YT. I'm really excited just to see the visuals of this coaster, and riding it on top of that should be phenomenal.

You should be alright. The expected opening date is May 24th and they're still on track for that opening. Plus, the weather is starting to slightly improve which I'm sure is easier on the workers. The overbank turn and dive loop should be finished in the next couple weeks and the remaining sections (lift and zero-G stall) should be finished by the end of April which gives plenty of time for testing and making finishing touches to the queue and station in May.

The only part of the overbank remaining is to install the track, which shouldn't take very long at all. There's only a bit of the dive loop structure remaining and the lift hill and inverted stall should go up fairly quickly, so I don't forsee construction going very far beyond mid-April, which gives part of the month and most of May for testing and station and queue modifications.

goliathtrackoverbank.thumb.jpg.1a413dfed43bd64a24d387407c78b55b.jpgI cant say with 100 percent certainty but it looks like they are placing track into the overbank now! Look at the horizontal pieces on the cabin nearest the camera, where the track exiting the tunnel for the first time ends.

AND check out all the shiny red track on site ready to go at the base of the work site, where they used to build bents!