TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

^There has never been a topper track ride with polyurethane wheels, no one will know if this will feel more like Outlaw Run or NTAG until it opens.

Of course, it won't feel that much like either, considering how unique the layout is. But will it be smooth like steel or a little more rough-and-tumble? That's the big question, I am intensely curious to find out what the answer will be. Perhaps the designers don't even know for sure.

They cropped out a photo of Goliath's front car from a rendering (or from the car they showed off at IAAPA) and placed another photo of guest riding a different coaster behind it...

I agree that with the website changes for the different Six Flags parks, I'm glad each park is actually showing off images from THEIR park and not others.

Haha, no, they have just improved at using photoshop but they keep recycling photos over and over.

I wonder what is the real coaster those people are riding...

Probably New Texas Giant

Almost 2 pages filled over a banner. To clear up what I said on the other page again, I'm just saying the new website that was released has the majority of their photos from their actual park instead of using photos from other parks. This is one banner about a ride that isn't operating yet. I'm sure once Goliath opens, they'll show an actual photo of the ride and not one of NTAG and IR.

I wonder how long until the park starts building the new Thrillseekers outside of the ride. Apparently it'll be right by the exit instead of replacing the M-Porium like I originally thought. Is that an actual store they are building or just a stand like Leather Xcessories?

It looks like they are going to start raising the bents for the dive loop at the other end today.

I've never ridden outlaw run but I've ridden new texas giant and el toro. El toro is far more wooden than rmc's but I preferred that sensation. New texas giant was still full of vibrations though so I imagine their wooden coasters will strike a good balance and hope someone can speak about outlaw run for us.

This is a serious serious question that I hope doesn't just get buried in here. AKA I want the park to see it. The tribe has clearly spoken and airtime is clearly in. The breadth of ride experiences that exists and is demanded today by the general public has changed a lot since Raging Bull was first built. Maybe back in the day, when those chairs and the height left riders feeling more exposed, or for some structural reasons i'm unaware of, the trim breaks were necessary. But the general public is clearly ready for a trim-less bull and B&M has perfected their airtime machines over the past 15 years as well, making rides loaded with floater hills. Is it really necessary to stick us with a tamed bull, as if the only alternative is another 30 million dollar investment in a newer ride, when all you have to do is turn those babies off? Is it really necessary to trim what could be a negative g float when you have dozens of them collectively between Viper, Eagle, and now Goliath?

ican'twaitican'twaitICAN'TWAIT

Construction is going along well! I know I've said this thousands of times but Goliath looks more massive each time I see it!

Almost 2 pages filled over a banner. To clear up what I said on the other page again, I'm just saying the new website that was released has the majority of their photos from their actual park instead of using photos from other parks. This is one banner about a ride that isn't operating yet. I'm sure once Goliath opens, they'll show an actual photo of the ride and not one of NTAG and IR.

I wonder how long until the park starts building the new Thrillseekers outside of the ride. Apparently it'll be right by the exit instead of replacing the M-Porium like I originally thought. Is that an actual store they are building or just a stand like Leather Xcessories?

It looks like they are going to start raising the bents for the dive loop at the other end today.

M-Porium was an actual store that you walked into, not a stand.

M-Porium was an actual store that you walked into, not a stand.

I should've worded my post better. I was referring to the new Thrillseekers store they are adding for 2014. I originally thought they were renovating the M-Porium and turning it into Thrillseekers, but from what the park said, it sounds as if Thrillseekers will be a whole new store outside of Goliath. I just didn't know if it would be an actual store or a stand outside the ride.

Did the park ever give an official reason for removing Ragin' Cajun? Is Goliath using part of the former site or will it be used for future expansion? It always seemed to have a line when I visited.

I don't understand why people are so hung up about the trim brake on Raging Bull. The ride was built to have it. There's no removing it. The only way you can ride it without the trim is to ride in manual mode, be on a train moving slow enough not to trigger it, or to be on one of the first few cycles after it turns on for the day. The park is not going to update the PLC to turn off something that decreases the wear and tear on the train and saves them money on maintenence costs.

Have you ever rode it? Ride would be a lot better w/o it

Did the park ever give an official reason for removing Ragin' Cajun? Is Goliath using part of the former site or will it be used for future expansion? It always seemed to have a line when I visited.

Goliath isn't using any of the former spot of Ragin' Cajun. They never gave an exact reason why but there may be a few reasons. For one, it was really low in capacity and they already have a wild mouse in TDK Coaster. Another possible reason is that they might already have something planned for that location. The park president, Hank Salemi, said a month or so ago at No Coaster Con that we should keep our eyes on Cajun's spot for future expansion. He also mentioned that they were planning an interactive dark ride but ultimately decided on building Goliath for this year. He is pushing hard to acquire a dark ride so maybe they will build one there in Mardi Gras. That space could also be used for a flat ride of some sort in the near future.

My point exactly. It was designed/built with the trim break 15 years ago and now they are building mega coasters that deliver much more speed and airtime than raging bull, with the exact same trains and track configuration. If there have been train modifications perhaps the park could purchase new trains and kill the trim. It is beyond unnecessary.

My point exactly. It was designed/built with the trim break 15 years ago and now they are building mega coasters that deliver much more speed and airtime than raging bull, with the exact same trains and track configuration. If there have been train modifications perhaps the park could purchase new trains and kill the trim. It is beyond unnecessary.

It might not be necessary, but from the park's perspective there's zero reason to change anything (it's not as if it's something they could really promote it to the general public, and at best it would bring a few extra enthusiasts, which wouldn't be worth their while). The park isn't going to spend money on something that isn't going to make them money.

I don't understand why people are so hung up about the trim brake on Raging Bull. The ride was built to have it. There's no removing it. The only way you can ride it without the trim is to ride in manual mode, be on a train moving slow enough not to trigger it, or to be on one of the first few cycles after it turns on for the day. The park is not going to update the PLC to turn off something that decreases the wear and tear on the train and saves them money on maintenence costs.

Have you ever rode it? Ride would be a lot better w/o it

Actually, I have. It's not as amazing as people fantasize that it will be. The ride is not a lot better without it. It rides a little quicker through the first half and there is a bit of air on the hill that is trimmed. But I would doubt most people would be able to tell the difference and it wouldn't people rate it in their top 10 because it's a few mph faster.

Did you ride "without trims" on a really slow train, or on the first few cycles? Because if you rode on a really slow train, of course it wouldn't be much better because it would be traveling at a similar speed as a fast train with trims.