TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Also, the debate may continue, but I honestly don't think RMC cares if they're making wooden coasters at this point or not. Aren't we basically saying that if there's a slab of wood imbedded in the track somewhere, we can call it a woodie? I'm just not sure anymore, we may reach a point where the line between them is so fine it's totally meaningless.

Steel Supports

Steel Supports

Steel Supports

... can we stop whining now, PLEASE???

And while the coaster IS a wood coaster, who cares anyway? As long as it's a great ride why does it matter?

Hope we can see RMC expand into Europe in the future, whether its to build new rides or redo some of the crappy woodies we have here as well.

Could you imagine IronThundercoaster? It seems like the perfect candidate to get the I-box treatment IMO.

Now that would be amazing! But while it does take a little toll on your body, Thundercoaster is not in the group of coasters which desperately need a makeover. I think the most exciting possibility in Europe is Magnus Colossus, image what RMC could do with that location.

Coaster express is another one, in my opinion. I mean, it ranked second to last on the MH wood poll: it's incredibly rough and kind of boring too. If RMC increased the height just a bit and took advantage of it's long layout it would be awesome!

who cares anyway? As long as it's a great ride why does it matter?

Because this is a Roller Coaster enthusiast forum..

Really annoys me when people try to put others down on here for discussing things like this! This is a coaster forum, its the whole point!, if people can't discuss silly details like this here then where the hell can they!?

Ps. wood or steel this looks insane!

Well, like it or not, one thing is for sure. We will never again have a coaster structure as towering and magnificent as SOB's lift hill/turn/drop. Hate on the ride all you want, but you have to admit that 200 ft tall wall of wood was awe-inspiring.

Yes, SOB was pretty to look at--but it was still a lousy, painful ride.

If Goliath is half as good at New Texas Giant, it will still be an amazing ride.

Edited by cfc

Went to sleep last night to these new renderings and woke up to see that they're still true. Wasn't a dream! I really like the look of this. This has to be the most unique and incredible lift on any wooden coaster currently operating. I was beginning to wonder why the lift wasn't going up yet, and now I know. Construction should move by MUCH faster now that the lift is going to be a simple 1-2-3 installation (or however many pieces that megaframe is going to be).

My only gripe about the new renderings is the fact that the structure is more open during the zero gravity stall. I thought it would be amazingly disorienting to fly through all that structure upside down. Overall though, this is absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to ride it!

I've been wondering why the lift hill pathway wasn't lined with a hundred little footers. Then I remember seeing pictures like this one...

...and wondering what the hell was going on there. Those huge footers at that spot made no sense. Now it makes perfect sense. That's where the main tower will be. Seems like this was planned all along.

Also, the debate may continue, but I honestly don't think RMC cares if they're making wooden coasters at this point or not. Aren't we basically saying that if there's a slab of wood imbedded in the track somewhere, we can call it a woodie? I'm just not sure anymore, we may reach a point where the line between them is so fine it's totally meaningless.

Steel Supports

Steel Supports

Steel Supports

... can we stop whining now, PLEASE???

And while the coaster IS a wood coaster, who cares anyway? As long as it's a great ride why does it matter?

Hey now, I'm not one of the ones saying that steel supports make it a steel coaster. Don't lump me in with that crowd. What I'm saying is that wooden coaster design has a tradition and history to it, that's longer (and more distinct) than that of steel coasters. In my eyes RMC managed with Outlaw Run to both honor that tradition while pushing the technology into new territory. I'm talking about the spirit of wooden coasters, and every decision they make is either in keeping with that spirit or it isn't. And this support decision is too big a departure for me.

Part of what makes a coaster a coaster is how it looks. For as long as wooden coasters have existed, they've always had that web of wood (or steel) beneath the track, it's what makes zooming through the super structure during the second half of the ride so much fun. Imagine for a moment Stormrunner, with those same supports, those same elements, but with a track that's got a couple layers of wood in it. RMC could probably do this. You'll tell me it's a wooden coaster, I'd tell you you're right but what's the point? It looks like a steel, rides like a steel (except for maybe a bit of added roughness), but you'd say "Wow look how far wooden coasters have come!" Well sorry, but my perfect vision for the future of wooden coasters is not to have them become as much like steel as technologically possible.

If you don't think any of this is important, that's fine, we'll agree to disagree and move on.

I still think Goliath will be a great ride regardless. And yes, putting the wood/steel issue aside for a moment, the lift hill totally looks like something out of a steampunk future retro fantasyland, it's an incredible piece of architecture (in the renderings at least). Honestly if this was an ibox coaster I'd have nothing to complain about, no wood coaster pretensions would even exist.

My initial thought about the Zero-G stall was that I wanted it to go through a mess of wooden supports for the head chopper elements. However, this is just as cool. Now you have nothing but the ground 80 feet or so below you and a simple lap bar holding you in upside down. Seems quite thrilling!

My initial thought about the Zero-G stall was that I wanted it to go through a mess of wooden supports for the head chopper elements. However, this is just as cool. Now you have nothing but the ground 80 feet or so below you and a simple lap bar holding you in upside down. Seems quite thrilling!

Just... like... a steel coaster! Also, when you're upside down on a coaster, do you EVER think to look up at the ground, at the moment you're inverted? I certainly don't.

Surely they must have known how they were building the lift before construction started. Anyone else find it strangely calculating that they should release this info now, shortly before construction on the lift starts and they can no longer keep it a secret? Were they fearing a negative backlash?

I think its just as coaster technology progresses we will see a lot Hybrid coasters in the future. I love that as its opening a lot of new layouts that were not possible with Wood coasters.

However I do think that coasters having a steel track on a wooden/hybrid support structure should be in the steel coaster poll.

^as far as the ongoing argument with that, my stance is the same as mitch hawker poll's. If the track or supports or some vital part of the ride is partially or completely steel then the wheels have to be traditional steel wheels for it to count as wooden. Polyurethane on steel track is the only way it can be counted as steel really.

By definition, a wood tracked coaster is layers of wood molded to the support structure with steel rails on top. This is what Goliath has for its running surface. The only difference between Rocky Mountain's wood coaster track and traditional wood track is that the top layer is all steel (their topper track) instead of a wood plank with bar stock steel for the running surfaces. The iron transformations of the now 3 previous wooden coasters have the ENTIRE laminate replaced by steel in the shape of the previous wooden track. I didn't think this was that difficult to follow.

Edited by StLCPfan

Surely they must have known how they were building the lift before construction started. Anyone else find it strangely calculating that they should release this info now, shortly before construction on the lift starts and they can no longer keep it a secret? Were they fearing a negative backlash?

I would think the risk of a backlash is greater now because we have the original renderings--what we thought we were getting--to compare the new ones to, so the difference in the look of the lift and zero G is sort of a shock. The new look seems to have its big fans and its foes, but it is what it is, and I'm still looking forward to the ride very much.

Edited by ilrider

^I'm not sure why I'm mentioned in that quote box but I didn't write that post.

Just... like... a steel coaster! Also, when you're upside down on a coaster, do you EVER think to look up at the ground, at the moment you're inverted? I certainly don't.

No, not just like a steel coaster. There's not any coaster, steel or wood, that has a zero-G stall. Even steel coasters that do have a lot of hang time on an inversion usually have OTSR's which is much more restrictive than just lap bars. I just think the sense of hanging there upside down for a couple seconds with nothing below you makes me more uneasy than a lot of supports directly below you. That's just my opinion and I see why people would want head choppers instead of being open. We all have different preferences. Regardless of not having head choppers, I believe it will still be a crazy element and I'm looking forward to it.