TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Hey Guys,

I know you're all discussing Goliath, so I'm sorry in advance for derailing the discussion.

My orchestra will be heading up to the park May 4th to play in a music festival that weekend. 1) Is this the park's opening weekend? I've heard a lot of negative things about the park's operation during it's opening. 2.) Will Goliath be open?

Sorry if these are weird questions! I'm from St. Louis, so I don't know a whole lot about the park's operations from my two visits there.

Hey Guys,

I know you're all discussing Goliath, so I'm sorry in advance for derailing the discussion.

My orchestra will be heading up to the park May 4th to play in a music festival that weekend. 1) Is this the park's opening weekend? I've heard a lot of negative things about the park's operation during it's opening. 2.) Will Goliath be open?

Sorry if these are weird questions! I'm from St. Louis, so I don't know a whole lot about the park's operations from my two visits there.

No problem, good questions! Yes, that's the Sunday of opening weekend. The first few weekends of the season usually has slower crews and a lot of rides are running one less train. For example, Bull will likely be running 2 trains, Superman UF will likely have 1 train, and so on. Goliath is scheduled to open on May 24th.

Hey Guys,

No problem, good questions! Yes, that's the Sunday of opening weekend. The first few weekends of the season usually has slower crews and a lot of rides are running one less train. For example, Bull will likely be running 2 trains, Superman UF will likely have 1 train, and so on. Goliath is scheduled to open on May 24th.

Damn, that's really disappointing. I guess I'll have to pick and choose which rides I want.

Hey Guys,

Damn, that's really disappointing. I guess I'll have to pick and choose which rides I want.

In past seasons, opening days are sometimes busier than most parks when they open in the spring but still not too bad. The biggest issue is that most rides aren't running at full capacity. However, there are usually a lot of people at the season pass processing center throughout the day which sometimes takes a little out of the crowd. The bad news is that there's no longer season pass activating this season since everything is done as you enter the park with the new biometric system. Not sure if that'll have an impact or not.

Photo from SFGAm's Twitter:

BecqlN8CQAAAW60.jpg:large

At first I thought that was steel, but after looking I could see it was wood. I am glad to see track being installed!

Someone at Six Flags must really like the look of the red track. I don't think it looks bad, but it's funny to me how this is a 100% wooden coaster but to most people it'll be virtually indistinguishable from NTG-style track, which is steel. Kind of complicates the whole wood vs. hybrid vs. steel debate.

Someone at Six Flags must really like the look of the red track. I don't think it looks bad, but it's funny to me how this is a 100% wooden coaster but to most people it'll be virtually indistinguishable from NTG-style track, which is steel. Kind of complicates the whole wood vs. hybrid vs. steel debate.

I believe the red is some sort of tape/tarp that's on the track. If you look at the rest of the topper track, it is the normal grey/brown.

I may be wrong, but it's just my guess. They could be painting it red for all I know.

The animated pictures and videos show an orange-red track. I remember asking myself when I first saw the POV the morning it was released if it was a hybrid because of the color. Personally I don't mind but I wish Six Flags would switch it up a bit.

image.jpg.87027bf8fb4912029452a3e7f64f4773.jpg

^But then in that picture the colour of the track (kind of orange with a brown touch) doesn't really contrast with the wood structure and looks more natural unlike the nearly red track in the real picture.

Hi All -

I just got back from SFGAm -- TPR and Six Flags were kind enough to let us stomp around the construction site for a while, take pictures, and answer a lot of questions. I'll attach a few pictures here, but first wanted to capture what I remember about the questions we asked:

* The track is four layers of wood (instead of the usual six) and the orange part is 2 layers of steel

* The wheels on this ride will be polyurethane, where Outlaw Runs are steel. This isn't because of noise, it's because of speed and the particulars of the ride

* The structure should be complete by April

* RMC is handling construction with a lot of the same people who built Outlaw Run, plus some locals

* There will be two trains, one with red and one with orange fiberglass seats

* No verdict on seat belts - for now there aren't any - just the lap bars with the ankle holders (horseshoe shaped). RMC is building the trains

* Trains are not on-site yet

* The station is going to be Roman themed, white columns. There's a really cool looking entry arch as well.

* No opening date yet, they're aiming for memorial day

* There are big circular discs attached to the footers. A metal ring mates to that and includes some arms that are vertical. The bents are attached to that (so the structure, in a sense, is bolted wholesale into the ground. Wood doesn't actually get embedded in the footers)

* WGN news was there and a bunch of us taped a segment with them that will appear on the WGN morning news next Monday at 9

* It was awesome

* The ride is in a VERY compact footprint (not much bigger than Iron Wolf was) -- given its height, the turns are going to be tight and very very intense.

* Being in an empty theme park in winter with lots of snow on the ground is very unusual

Thanks, Robb, TPR, Brandon, Katy, and Six Flags for the opportunity. It was spectacular.

in-we-go.thumb.jpg.041ec7191f6fe15370e496162c966c48.jpg

Here we are walking backstage after meeting Brandon and Katy in the SF offices

group-and-turnaround.thumb.jpg.e79f7d155a6de584d8df99b0fa116aae.jpg

The group, both cold and awe-stricken, watch workers on the structure at the turnaround.

tunnel-track-and-bunny-hills.thumb.jpg.80f358d0758e278529c75e069b1a75cd.jpg

Here's the (very deep, very scary) tunnel, and behind it the two super-airtime-bunny-hills-of-crazy. Bunnies beware.

turnaround-from-the-stadium.thumb.jpg.e9c1f15f73811abe0e00c6fafc58a117.jpg

Here's the turnaround from the show stadium. The show today wasn't as good as normal, I admit. Since all the footers are already down, the excavator is presumably looking for Jimmy Hoffa.

station.thumb.jpg.99d9a6b601e84342c69de0c25b8c9641.jpg

There's going to be a steep drop from the station. I love it when rides do this.

lift-and-return.thumb.jpg.04266589b0fc95c7024dde565472a545.jpg

Here you can see the big concrete slab where the lift motor will go, and the lift hill will be going away from where we are. On the right, the return bunny hills. The track on the left is the return into the station (at a pretty steep angle)