TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

^ Good note, curious to see if it holds for 'several years' - I already assumed it would be for 2014, while the updated seats should add more comfort and keep this a higher rated ride without discomfort like the other RMC's with those poor shin bars.

^ I'm so glad it wasn't painful for you - IMO it took away from the experience a bit while struggling to find comfort with my long legs. Others have voiced similar opinions and reviews that the coaster would be ranked higher if there was a tad more padding there...definitely not complaining here on the SFGAm thread (could do that in the 'rant' thread if necessary). I have high no complaints here to take away from talk about Goliath and have high hopes for the thicker padding!

^ I've got to agree with you about the shin guard. I'd probably rank Outlaw Run #2 if it wouldn't have crushed my shins. 3 rides in 2 days was all I could handle, unfortunately. Hoping that the new shin guard will be much more comfortable!

2 Questions:

Is Outlaw rough compared to New Texas Giant?

Is there great airtime on the first drop?

^Outlaw Run is every bit as smooth at New Texas Giant. It does rattle and rumble like a wooden coaster is supposed to but it's still very slick and smooth. The steel wheels make all the difference. I prefer it. Goliath with have urethane wheels and will be ultra smooth and quiet like New Texas Giant. I prefer the excitement of a rattling thundering train over the sound of a little "whoosh" of air personally. Also yes, Outlaw Run has insane air at several moments during the ride including the first drop.

Doesn't the brake run begin just a couple feet lower than that airtime hill? I didn't realize this thing was going to have so much speed left by the end and still be so high in the air!

^Outlaw Run is every bit as smooth at New Texas Giant. It does rattle and rumble like a wooden coaster is supposed to but it's still very slick and smooth. The steel wheels make all the difference. I prefer it. Goliath with have urethane wheels and will be ultra smooth and quiet like New Texas Giant. I prefer the excitement of a rattling thundering train over the sound of a little "whoosh" of air personally. Also yes, Outlaw Run has insane air at several moments during the ride including the first drop.

Doesn't the brake run begin just a couple feet lower than that airtime hill? I didn't realize this thing was going to have so much speed left by the end and still be so high in the air!

Which airtime hill are we talking about? The one in the middle of the ride or the one at the end, which is really only half a hill, with the brake run down the other side? I've been looking at the pictures assuming it was the one in the middle.

^I've never been to the park but I imagine anyone who would feel a sense of loss over the absence of a notoriously rough B&M stand-up when potentially one of the greatest wooden coasters ever built is being put in its place probably has a concussion.

I rode Iron Wolf about 30 times in my life and I always found the first half to be okay. It was the second half that hurt because of standing position plus it makes really quick transitions in such a small area. In other words, it paced quickly in the 2nd half but the turns are really tight so it jerked you around. They never added the blocks before the corkscrew (which is why the track is dipped down the way it is in case they wanted to add them I believe). It might have helped a little by slowing it down but probably wouldn't have made that much of a difference.

Corrected: This is the 2nd time this station has been reused. It first belonged to Iron Wolf in 1990 and now Goliath in 2014. Brandon Bruce told me it will undergo heavy renovations (which we already knew) and it'll be extended to accommodate the trains which are longer than Wolf's. He said we should also expect a themed entrance portal and station.

EDIT: Six Flags Great America posted this yesterday of the floater hill on their FB page:

544895_10151763848591356_1876340883_n.thumb.jpg.931a6698429b53194452f54ed441cc15.jpg

Edited by GoBears

^ I've got to agree with you about the shin guard. I'd probably rank Outlaw Run #2 if it wouldn't have crushed my shins. 3 rides in 2 days was all I could handle, unfortunately. Hoping that the new shin guard will be much more comfortable!

2 Questions:

1. Outlaw Run is incredibly smooth. I haven't been on New Texas Giant, it was closed when we were there due to the accident.

2. Yes. Even thought I knew it was coming, the airtime still kind of caught me by surprise on the first drop.

2 Questions:

1. "Rough" is not a word that can be used to describe Outlaw Run

2. Not only is the airtime great on the drop, on pretty much every element you are out of your seat

^I've never been to the park but I imagine anyone who would feel a sense of loss over the absence of a notoriously rough B&M stand-up when potentially one of the greatest wooden coasters ever built is being put in its place probably has a concussion.

There's something curious about dismissing a ride that you've never ridden in favor of a ride that no one has yet ridden (and in fact, currently exists in the form of some footers and sticks sticking out of the ground). In all liklihood, Goliath will be a great ride, and it's no secret that Stand-Ups don't have a sparkling reputation among many coaster people- but I can think of a few coasters that I like, but might have never bothered riding if I just went by what people said.

I rode Iron Wolf as Apocalypse at SFA and I didn't think it was all that bad. I'll take it over Green Lantern any day.

I agree, but I hate them both. I have to be fair though, even though I hated Apocalypse I was expecting worse after reading about it on coaster forums for so long. If I were a little shorter (I'm pretty tall which I think is why I hate standup coasters because they never used to bother me) I'd probably enjoy it.

Looks great so far!

Does anyone remember how long Outlaw Run took to install? I'm just curious when it will open, and I'm not sure it will be ready by opening day...