TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

So how long does a wooden coaster take to put up versus a steel one? I'd think a wooden one because of all the pieces, but is that true?

Even complex steel structured coasters can go up fairly quickly. It depends on the crew though and how much time they spend each day. Typically, steel coasters are much quicker to put up than wooden coasters.

Here's from SFGAm's Twitter today:

BaliQPHCAAAdimW.jpg-large.thumb.jpeg.37e60a74c4571fffd33bd1e43cd73558.jpeg

I'm glad that this thing is finally going vertical! I'm so pumped to see follow the construction of it. =D

Sorry if i've missed this but does anyone know if all the footers are put into place? or do they still have a few left?

I'm pretty sure all the footers have been placed.

This is something I've never been clear on with prefabricated wooden coasters. Are all the pieces including the supports laser-cut at a factory, or just the pieces for the track itself?

RMC only prefabricates their track. They build the actual bents on sight like any other wooden coaster. Intamin cuts every piece of wood (Track and Structure) and is numbered to go in a certain spot on the ride. This is where the term plug-and-play comes from. The way RMC constructs their coasters is quite different from GCI or MVR, who poor their actual footers on sight. They also don't tighten the bolts that holds the structure in the footers until they're actually done with the ride. This allows the crew to get the slope and angle of track just the way they want it. I also believe that they brace the structure together to keep it from moving or giving, like you would see in a normal wooden coaster. This is very different from how most traditional wooden coasters are constructed, but goes a long way into helping the ride keep it's original form for 20+ years.

Does anyone know if Goliath will open exclusively to season pass holders before its official opening to the public?

I wouldn't be surprised as that's what they did with X-Flight. That's one thing that sort of irks me about Great America, I don't get why they wouldn't want their new coaster to be open to everyone on opening day. For those who only go once a year, it would seem like a ripoff if they went to the park early in the season only for Goliath to not be open yet or only be open to season pass holders.

Does anyone know if Goliath will open exclusively to season pass holders before its official opening to the public?

I wouldn't be surprised as that's what they did with X-Flight. That's one thing that sort of irks me about Great America, I don't get why they wouldn't want their new coaster to be open to everyone on opening day. For those who only go once a year, it would seem like a ripoff if they went to the park early in the season only for Goliath to not be open yet or only be open to season pass holders.

At SFSTL they opened Boomerang one day before opening day for season pass holders and the GP didn't mind. But I mean, it is a Boomerang...

I think this is a strategy to increase the total number of season pass-holders and potential revenues. The park wants to capture those potential repeat visitors and incentivize them to buy the season pass to ride Goliath opening day. Just by having the pass is a possible reason to revisit the park. Six Flags, like other parks, assumes that they will generate additional revenues from the concessions and merchandise that repeat visitors e.g. season pass-holders buy per visit. By creating exclusivity, those reluctant to buy a season pass, but eager to ride Goliath, will likely buy the season pass. Even if that opening day is their only visit, Six Flags still generated more revenue from the purchase of that season pass than a one-day admission. Of course, those one-time park attendees typically visit between mid-June and mid-August, so this is really a matter of attracting those that are able to visit the park more than once per season e.g. those that live within two hours of the park

Edited by Intaman

It's good marketing for SFGAm for more people to purchase season passes. I was at X-Flight's season pass exclusive opening day back in May 2012 and there were a lot of people getting turned down at the entrance. However, as I went through Hometown Square after getting a couple rides in on X-Flight, I saw a lot of people upgrading their tickets to season passes just to go on X-Flight that day. It might not seem fair, but it's actually pretty smart on SFGAm's part. It's also a good way for the ride crew to get some more experience on real crowds.

It's good marketing for SFGAm for more people to purchase season passes. I was at X-Flight's season pass exclusive opening day back in May 2012 and there were a lot of people getting turned down at the entrance. However, as I went through Hometown Square after getting a couple rides in on X-Flight, I saw a lot of people upgrading their tickets to season passes just to go on X-Flight that day. It might not seem fair, but it's actually pretty smart on SFGAm's part. It's also a good way for the ride crew to get some more experience on real crowds.

Think so! This is an excellent idea for a park. Great marketing plan on this. I think Goliath needs a whole week of season pass holder exclusive ride opening.

I'm going to guess they will do open it kind of like SFFT with Iron Rattler. One day was Gold Pass only, next day was all season pass. Then it open to the public. Now what would be nice for all the local TPR members is if they were allowed to come to the media event.

I'm going to guess they will do open it kind of like SFFT with Iron Rattler. One day was Gold Pass only, next day was all season pass. Then it open to the public. Now what would be nice for all the local TPR members is if they were allowed to come to the media event.

That's how I got to the Batman Backwards media day. And then I got kicked out for talking about Six Flags.

^ You probably shouldn't have been taking bad about Shapiro then

Something that Busch pulled last year, they allowed season passholders an hour of early ERT on Verbolten in June. Season passholders were allowed early entry into the park and ride Verbolten as many times as they wanted before the park opened to the public. It gives everyone a fair chance to ride and it provides a good incentive for people to upgrade their tickets to season passes. Not only that, but they were given a month to ride instead of just a few days.

I have a quick interview with Brandon Bruce from the park's PR later so if anyone has any questions regarding Goliath or the 2014 season, let me know. Also, it appears they have more supports up for Goliath but it's hard to see on the webcam because of the way the clouds are spreading the sunlight right on the camera.

I have a quick interview with Brandon Bruce from the park's PR later so if anyone has any questions regarding Goliath or the 2014 season, let me know. Also, it appears they have more supports up for Goliath but it's hard to see on the webcam because of the way the clouds are spreading the sunlight right on the camera.

How long has this ride been planned?

Will there be a test seat outside?

Will there be lights in the tunnel?

Why did you pick the name Goliath?

^ You probably shouldn't have been taking bad about Shapiro then

Something that Busch pulled last year, they allowed season passholders an hour of early ERT on Verbolten in June. Season passholders were allowed early entry into the park and ride Verbolten as many times as they wanted before the park opened to the public. It gives everyone a fair chance to ride and it provides a good incentive for people to upgrade their tickets to season passes. Not only that, but they were given a month to ride instead of just a few days.

2 Things:

1. I didn't mention Shapiro

2. I got kicked out cause I was talking to people that didn't want to ride and I was preventing them from riding.

How long has this ride been planned?

Will there be a test seat outside?

Will there be lights in the tunnel?

Why did you pick the name Goliath?

A couple of these were answered from interviews back in late August. They chose the name Goliath because they felt it was fitting for the tallest wooden coaster. There will be a test seat outside. Gary Pohlman of maintenance said the ride was in planning for a couple years. I'll ask about the lights in the tunnel though. Good question!

I have a quick interview with Brandon Bruce from the park's PR later so if anyone has any questions regarding Goliath or the 2014 season, let me know.

Will there be ANY theme to match the train design or will it just be generic?

Was there really any discussion about giving American Eagle the Iron Horse or was it just a coverup?

Will igNite be returning?

What were the clues in the teaser videos, since I don't know if anyone figure them out?