TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Today on my way to work, I saw a few people sitting outside the employee entrance and it looked like they were picketing, but then I thought I saw an ad for Jeep. I was driving, so I couldn't get a good look at everything, but this is what I saw as I drove by. Has anyone heard about residents picketing, or is this just good marketing scheme from Jeep and SFGAm?

I wonder when we will start seeing physical construction. Will it be this month, or not until Nov? And by physical construction, of course I mean footers, just to be clear.

The park said that they are planning for the ride to start going vertical sometime in November. The construction site clearing/flattening looks almost complete now so we should see them begin digging for footers and the tunnel section in a few weeks. Probably closer to the end of October or early November.

I wonder when we will start seeing physical construction. Will it be this month, or not until Nov? And by physical construction, of course I mean footers, just to be clear.

The park said that they are planning for the ride to start going vertical sometime in November. The construction site clearing/flattening looks almost complete now so we should see them begin digging for footers and the tunnel section in a few weeks. Probably closer to the end of October or early November.

Great! Thank you for the response!

SFGAm is open Monday Oct 14th (Columbus Day) 10am-6pm

Thoughts on how dead the park will be on a random Monday?

Were coming from Cincinnati.

http://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/info/parkInfo.aspx

Well, it's not really a random Monday, because like you said it's Columbus Day, so schools are off and some people are off work. Plus it's Fright Fest, which is always popular. I don't think it would be horribly horribly crowded, but I wouldn't expect it to be dead either.

SFGAm is open Monday Oct 14th (Columbus Day) 10am-6pm

Thoughts on how dead the park will be on a random Monday?

Were coming from Cincinnati.

http://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/info/parkInfo.aspx

It is a pretty good day to go in our experience since a lot of adults still work, but as mentioned almost everyone is out of school in the Chicago area and there are still some people with the day off work (my wife and I included). If you can get there at the start of the day, you should get several rides in before it gets too crowded. We are going Monday too.

Taken from SFGAm facebook Goliaths Trains looks awesome

RMC is very quickly becoming my favorite coaster manufacture behind Intamin, RMC is really producing some amazing rides and trains

Just saw this picture of the train on twitter. I was about to post till I saw your post. The train looks great. I can't wait to ride this coaster next year.

Taken from SFGAm facebook Goliaths Trains looks awesome

RMC is very quickly becoming my favorite coaster manufacture behind Intamin, RMC is really producing some amazing rides and trains

Same here, even before I rode Outlaw Run this summer, I could say RMC is my second favorite coaster manufacturer.

Glad to see the update of the construction!

I went to Six Flags: Great America on my birthday this year. I had previously visited the park nearly a dozen times, and was excited to ride my favorite ride - Batman: the ride, as well as try the new X-Flight coaster.

"GO BIG OR GO HOME" is the slogan I hear on all the ads for Six Flags. Yet, for some reason, they do not live up to that slogan.

I stood in line for Batman, seeing all the (now rusty and dilapidated) set and props. I still wish they would bring back (even just once an hour) any of the original Batman film theme songs, or even play the soundtrack for the newer Batman films.

However, once I got into the "bat cave" I was disappointed beyond any ambition to have a blast on my birthday.

Being a tall man (6'3"), I have never had any difficulty fitting into the seats on Batman, Superman Ultimate Flight, or any of the other rides. For some reason this time, the seat harness would not fit. It came down to my shoulders, but would not go all the way down, because the harness hit my shoulder-blades and would go no lower.

After considerable effort, twisting and scrunching of my torso, I reluctantly got up and headed for the exit, unable to ride the coaster I had once ridden 13 times in a row, without ever getting off. (The park was dead on a Wednesday a few years ago so they let me ride nonstop.)

I asked one of the attendants why the seats seemed smaller, and she told me that these were new seats. Apparently, the seat design of Batman are the same seat design as the new X-Flight coaster, so Six Flags chose to just order in bulk and REPLACE the Batman seats with the newer, now SMALLER X-Flight seats.

This upset me even more, and I rushed over to the X-Flight coaster and tried out the sample seat at the entrance to that ride. It was the same situation as what I had just experienced on Batman: I am apparently too tall to ride hanging coasters now.

After wandering aimlessly and hopelessly depressed for a bit, my eye caught a new set of signs at different areas of the park ride queues. Some coasters now have a HEIGHT LIMIT! If you are over 6' tall, it's not worth even bothering to pay the parking fee once you arrive, because you will no longer be able to ride some of the best coasters in the park.

"GO BIG OR GO HOME" is a sorry theme for a park that refuses to allow people of taller stature to ride their newest, and best rides.

The slogan is Go Big. Go Six Flags. There is no go home in there. The max height for X-Flight is 6'6". My brother in law is 6'6" and rode everything in the park. The only ride he is too tall for is V2. He is also a bulkier guy, don't think he is thin and that's why he got on. Whomever told you the seats were the same on Batman and X-Flight were wrong too. The seats on Batman are new this year but aren't X-Flight seats. They didn't seem any smaller either.

I'm glad that the construction cam is finally up. http://content.sixflags.com/comingin2014/greatamerica/goliath/

Wow is this the first SF park to use a live web cam or a web in in general to cover a construction project??? I know it's the first one I can recall, I know CF usually has webcams for their projects I hope more SF parks start using webcam coverage.

I'm glad that the construction cam is finally up. http://content.sixflags.com/comingin2014/greatamerica/goliath/

Wow is this the first SF park to use a live web cam or a web in in general to cover a construction project??? I know it's the first one I can recall, I know CF usually has webcams for their projects I hope more SF parks start using webcam coverage.

SFGAm has done it for numerous projects, including X-Flight and Hurricane Harbor construction.

SFGAm used a webcam for X-Flight's construction as well as Riptide Bay the year before that.

SFGAm used a webcam for X-Flight's construction as well as Riptide Bay the year before that.

And Hurricane Harbor during the winter of 04-05

My trip report from columbus day last year should be in this thread still. If I recall, it was a good day to go. Just closed way too early. Some of the other late October weekend days were horrid. A million buses and they actually told people not to visit on their sign viewable from the highway.