TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Screamscape has posted the layout plans of the woodie.

This appears to have some sort of Immelmann inversion. Also, the drop heights (posted on Screamscape, I'll quote them at the end of the post), are weird. Screamscape suggested a possible booster section. Rumor has it they're suggesting the name "Goliath" for the hints, but in reality, Screamscape says the name could be unique.

If I didn’t mention it before, the new wooden coaster coming to the Iron Wolf spot is still from RMC. The hints the park is dropping is making people assume that the new ride may be called Goliath once again… but If the rumors I’m hearing hold out, this coaster will have a unique name all to itself. Now a local reader went to the meeting and reported back on what it will be like. While it will be 165 feet tall, as I expected, it will drop 13 feet underground, for a total drop of 178 feet. Following this will be a second drop of 124 ft, then a 60 ft drop, and the fourth drop is 100 feet, followed by an 80ft, 65 ft and final 56 foot drop. This is a full circuit ride layout. Right before that forth drop that suddenly jumps in height is a weird track element in the middle of the ride, circled in blue in the layout image they sent. It makes me wonder if this might be some kind of inversion, possibly with some kind of launch booster before it.

I seriously hope that it woodies in the near future will not have to feature inversions or gimmicks to get the GP to ride them. Not saying its a bad thing, but I don't want to fuel the GP's obsessions. Ignoring woodies and just talking about the GP in general, when I went to SFGAdv, there were times when Toro (no inversions, records not publicized quite as much as KK) had a short line. I never saw KK with as short as a line as Toro. Just a thought. I really want to get the GP off of the inversion-happy thing so we can get something like a Mega-Lite here. Unfortunately, the GP have spoken - the only Mega-Lite we can have has to be oversized just to get people to ride it. While the Mega-Lite, the more economical choice that provides a similarly intense ride experience, would be shunned by the GP as a kiddie ride, and when a park needs a compact coaster, they rush towards the twisty SLC GP magnet. Rant over... for now.

I agree woodies dont need new tech or gimmicks to be awesome. Eagle, viper, and hellcat are all in my top ten coasters. Eagle is a classic that marked the final reign of a woodie for height and speed. It was a perfect envelope pusher. Viper is a famous clone executed to perfection. And hellcat is jamming an epic ride in a tiny footprint. The thing is you have to accept some things are here to stay and some fall by the wayside too soon. Standup coasters were a fad. Btr was the first suspended coaster and is the most copied and cloned ride anywhere. People always want to copy the new fad in coasters. If people want a gimick or two then fine... as long as they dont interrupt ride pacing or forces. People want to bring back cutting edge tech to woodies and I say awesome...as long as form follows function. An epic coaster has great forces, pace, and well placed elements within its land footprint. I am super excited for this ride, and think it might give good argument for removal of a few rides in the future. I also really do hope we eventually get a gforce machine in the form of a mega launch coaster or a mega looper of some sort. The park really had an awesome chill factor when shockeave was up front and no ride in the park is as fear inducing. No other ride had quite so much going on. So many elements so much speed and such an awesome appearance in one ride was a huge loss we are still trying to replace. We really do need rides that are awesome because they push the limits but if they dont have an awesome park buzz creating presence, awesome pace and great forces... they really are not what our park needs. I can make a strong argument that btr is the most intense ride in the park. While we have added many great rides since 2002 I think our park is really less intense than it was in 2001-2002.

Outlaw Run is an amazing coaster. It beats every coaster I've ridden by a long shot. It is intense, insane, airtime-filled, and smooth. Everything I want in a wooden coaster. The inversions are also amazing.

If RMC is doing this coaster, I have no doubt this ride will be just as good, maybe even better. RMC just keeps increasing the level of awesomeness in their coasters. If they keep it up, I have no doubt they will be the best manufacturer in the industry.

I hate it when parks I have no desire to go back to, add a coaster (still speculation) that makes it mandatory to go back. And the year after my last visit just to rub it in.

If it's what's being described in Screamscape it will be amazing.

Edited by downunder

A Chicago Bear's themed coaster!

Do you want the ride to suck? Although I think a name like Grizzly would be a nice name for a wooden coaster, plus it's right next to Yukon Territory. When I was young I thought Iron Wolf was in Yukon Territory so why not this

Slight Themeing YAY!

I have been boycotting Six Flags Great America (while living in Chicago) for a few years now. With a new wooden coaster in place, and not having ridden X flight yet I am thinking that next year I may give the park a day and see if it wins me back. I rode GateKeeper and Wild Eagle in the last two weeks and think Wild Eagle is head and shoulders above GateKeeper and I have heard from others that GateKeeper is much better than X Flight. I am hoping that this new wooden coaster is not much different from ThunderHead in Dollywood. That ride was unbelievable and gave the most fun ride than anything SFGA offers now (Raging Bull and Whizzer aside)

Clearly you hangout with Cedar Point fanboys. I haven't heard anyone say Gatekeeper is better than X-Flight.

Kind of excited about this addition, but to be honest, the layout doesn't look all that exciting. Even with the Dive loop/immelman whatchamahoosie. Granted we know nothing about the rest of the ride....so pontificating about how awesome, or not awesome it will be is silly.

I have been boycotting Six Flags Great America (while living in Chicago) for a few years now. With a new wooden coaster in place, and not having ridden X flight yet I am thinking that next year I may give the park a day and see if it wins me back. I rode GateKeeper and Wild Eagle in the last two weeks and think Wild Eagle is head and shoulders above GateKeeper and I have heard from others that GateKeeper is much better than X Flight. I am hoping that this new wooden coaster is not much different from ThunderHead in Dollywood. That ride was unbelievable and gave the most fun ride than anything SFGA offers now (Raging Bull and Whizzer aside)

Clearly you hangout with Cedar Point fanboys. I haven't heard anyone say Gatekeeper is better than X-Flight.

Kind of excited about this addition, but to be honest, the layout doesn't look all that exciting. Even with the Dive loop/immelman whatchamahoosie. Granted we know nothing about the rest of the ride....so pontificating about how awesome, or not awesome it will be is silly.

I've ridden both Gatekeeper and X-Flight several times. In my opinion X-Flight is a much better ride.

^I did earlier this summer, and I didn't really care for it. I think X-Flight is better than Wild Eagle, though I wouldn't say I was all that impressed with X-Flight, either. I will be going to CP in a few weeks so hopefully I can see how GateKeeper stacks up. Honestly, I just want the B&M Wing Rider craze to be over.

Edit- I think this country needs less B&M wing coasters and more Intamin Skyrush-esque wing coasters!!

Edited by DanM64

Here's how I rank the WingRiders I've been on:

1. X Flight

2. Gate Keeper

3. X Raptor

4. Wild Eagle

Keep in mind, none of these would even make my top 50 coasters!!! Possibly even my top 100. Gate Keeper may have gotten the edge over X-Flight if it hadn't been so terribly rough!! Hanno and I had the worst ride ever on it.

Here's how I rank the WingRiders I've been on:

1. X Flight

2. Gate Keeper

3. X Raptor

4. Wild Eagle

Keep in mind, none of these would even make my top 50 coasters!!! Possibly even my top 100. Gate Keeper may have gotten the edge over X-Flight if it hadn't been so terribly rough!! Hanno and I had the worst ride ever on it.

That's interesting, my ride on GateKeeper was much smoother than my ride on X Flight. I guess may have been due to the outer seat ride on X-flight and an inner seat ride on GateKeeper. Although I wasn't the only one who thought this.

1. GateKeeper

2. WIld Eagle(I enjoyed it, I understand this could be seen as less thrilling)

3. X Flight

I hate it when parks I have no desire to go back to, add a coaster (still speculation) that makes it mandatory to go back. And the year after my last visit just to rub it in.

Same feeling, except this coaster sounds so promising that I'd be happy to go back. I think it actually helps a little that I was just there, since the sporadic good memories are fresh in my mind. I always like this park better in hindsight.

I can't wait to find out about this GIANT announcement

Of course, anything that reminds you of Texas.