TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

^^The mayor is not the one who revealed 165 ft. (which is not a record). That was in the agenda for the Gurnee Village Zoning Board. I do not think the mayor would have revealed it was the fastest woodie to the media if the park had told her to keep quiet. She even said there were some details she could not reveal, which implies what she did reveal was approved by the park. How is this not helping the park? It has built a huge buzz. There is plenty we still do not know. We were going to find all this out no later than Wednesday anyway, at the zoning board hearing, and it's before the full announcement on the 29th.

Hint: The height is not the record I'm implying, it's the drop.

Why would the park put all the hard work into all these teaser videos, then tell the mayor it's alright to tell a newspaper about it?

Okay, I'll give you the drop possibly being longer if it goes underground. I still don't think the mayor did anything untoward. I think it along with the teasers is all part of the PR package. The closer we get to full reveal, we get just a little more info. Like I said, what the mayor said comes out Wednesday at the zoning board meeting anyway, and the park knows that.

I think it'd be an Intamin. The map someone posted a few pages back shows a compact area. El Toro and T Express are very compact for their punch. And you'd need a tunnel or an super-fast chain lift to get over the 70mph record with only 165ft of height. Who makes super fast lifts? Intimin. Intim's quick-building "plug and play" construction method would also explain why construction would be delayed this long.

I am most certain this coaster will be RMC, considering the relationship SF has had with the company lately, they want to give 'em a shot for a new wooden coaster built from scratch at one of their SF parks, in this case, SFGAm especially after the success of Outlaw Run. Plus wasn't SF (forgive me if I'm wrong it may just be SFMM after the addition of Drop of Doom) that was done with Intamin? If so then would that mean all their coasters in general? Again, just something I heard a while back again just something I heard...

Edited by _IntaMAN_

I think it'd be an Intamin. The map someone posted a few pages back shows a compact area. El Toro and T Express are very compact for their punch. And you'd need a tunnel or an super-fast chain lift to get over the 70mph record with only 165ft of height. Who makes super fast lifts? Intimin. Intim's quick-building "plug and play" construction method would also explain why construction would be delayed this long.

I've wondered why we haven't seen Six Flags go for another Intamin Prefab coaster. El Toro really is that good - you would have a hard time finding an opinion to the contrary. I don't recall hearing of any noteworthy maintenance issues, those seem to be neatly confined to the giant green one next door to it.

Still, not hard to see why speculation leans toward Rocky Mountain. With the two Texas parks going with them in consecutive years, and inversions on wooden coasters being the current flavor of the month. Whoever it ends up being, SFGAm probably won't go wrong with either of them.

It will probably be called Roar. In the preview you will hear an iron wolf howl in a graveyard of the park's old rides and then a loud ground shaking and obnoxious roar and the park's former stand-up coaster will collapse and disintegrate. All of a sudden wooden support beams will start shooting out of the Earth like laser beams and Roar will be born. The trailer will not be like Banshee's trailer backwards at all.

It will probably be called Roar. In the preview you will hear an iron wolf howl in a graveyard of the park's old rides and then a loud ground shaking and obnoxious roar and the park's former stand-up coaster will collapse and disintegrate. All of a sudden wooden support beams will start shooting out of the Earth like laser beams and Roar will be born. The trailer will not be like Banshee's trailer backwards at all.

Best trailer EVER!

Maybe they'll call it Wooden Wolf?

Well - maybe not.

I have to admit that part of me thinks it's a pretty strange (reckless? foolish?) for the park to be installing a major coaster just two years after X-Flight (which certainly still seems to be bringing people through the turnstiles). But then there's another part of me that's rather quite excited by the possibility of a cute, little, Insane-O-Wood from RMC, Intamin or even GCI. In fact if this does indeed come to fruition, then you're likely to find me doing naked cartwheels up and down County Fair..

Cameron.

Well Outlaw Run's got a what...162ft drop, and is 68mph? I bet if Rocky Mountain builds a coaster with a little pre drop like Outlaw Run has and chucks the train over a 165ft tall 170ishft drop, no problem will Great America have the fastest wooden coaster; by a slim margin.

Only so Six Flags can break the record in another 2 years at different park

Wooden Wolf would sound like a step back and they can't do Timber Wolf because the name is owned by Cedar Fair and World's of Fun would sue the park. It's probably going to be called Roar, because Six Flags doesn't want to pay for new names when they already own some old names. They won't have to make unique merchandise for the park if they name the ride Roar so they will probably go with that. X-Flight does have original merchandise, but it is still an unoriginal name. I shouldn't even say that X-Flight's merchandise is original because it looks very similar to X2's and they used the same color scheme and the cars slightly resemble each other.

Well - maybe not.

I have to admit that part of me thinks it's a pretty strange (reckless? foolish?) for the park to be installing a major coaster just two years after X-Flight (which certainly still seems to be bringing people through the turnstiles). But then there's another part of me that's rather quite excited by the possibility of a cute, little, Insane-O-Wood from RMC, Intamin or even GCI. In fact if this does indeed come to fruition, then you're likely to find me doing naked cartwheels up and down County Fair..

Cameron.

I'd also be excited, but I'll be avoiding the park the day that Cameron is doing naked cartwheels.

Well - maybe not.

Cameron.

I'd also be excited, but I'll be avoiding the park the day that Cameron is doing naked cartwheels.

Well, there goes the park's new ad campaign.

Does outlaw run hit its max speed at the bottom of the first drop or in the area between the wave turn and the barrel rolls... which is the lower grade of the ride?

Bottom of the first drop. The ride had to climb a good 70 feet after the 153. I'm gonna guess it only drops 30+ feet after the wave turn, but that's just an eye estimate. I expect this coaster to be longer than Outlaw Run. Outlaw Run is so short because, the ride goes so far down the hill, but has to come so far back up hill, without the ride running out of speed. I bet this coaster is gonna be a good 4,000+ feet based on the speed is gonna have. I also say that assuming there is very little terrain to work with, such as the valleys that Outlaw Run sits in.