TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Maybe a little wooden coaster would fit, but I don't see how the fastest wooden coaster would fit in there. But if the mayor really said that, I guess it is true. And I'm guessing RMC may not actually be out of the question. Plus, that would explain the Guinness World Record clue.

^I think Premier said that Six Flags turned them down when it came to the dual station on Superman. I wouldn't be surprised if that's going to be the case for any similar Premier they might install from here on out.

It was probably turned down because SFDK is not as busy of a park, so why put out more money for something that is rarely needed? SFGAm on the other hand would necessitate the dual loading station, so yes if this is the style of coaster they are getting, I doubt that the offer for a dual station would be turned down.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20130817/news/708179826/ Hmmmm.. A new 165 foot tall wooden roller coaster for Great America in 2014!

Great America to pitch new wooden coaster to Gurnee

Six Flags Great America in Gurnee plans to seek village permission to construct what may be the fastest-ever wooden roller coaster, officials said.

If built, the ride would be in the theme park's County Fair area where the Iron Wolf roller coaster once stood. Iron Wolf operated from 1990 to 2011.

Gurnee Mayor Kristina Kovarik said the proposed roller coaster would be a big deal to the village because new rides typically boost attendance. Gurnee levies a 3 percent amusement tax on Great America tickets, which are projected to generate $2 million in revenue for the current budget and accounts for most of the category's income.

"We are excited," Kovarik said Saturday. "I was thrilled to learn they are bringing in a roller coaster."

Gurnee's advisory planning and zoning board Wednesday night is scheduled to entertain a request from Great America for special permission to build the coaster with a maximum height of 165 feet. The advisory panel then would issue a recommendation to the Gurnee village board, which has the final word on issues.

Kovarik said some information Great America has provided to the village regarding the new coaster is considered "confidential" because park representatives intend to make a formal public announcement later this month. She said not all aspects of the ride are expected to be divulged at Wednesday's planning and zoning board meeting.

However, Kovarik said the proposal submitted to the village is for "the fastest wooden roller coaster."

"It doesn't say U.S. or the world," she added.

Great America spokeswoman Katy Enrique would only say full details about the new attraction won't be released until Aug. 29.

No new rides were unveiled at the park this year. Great America's primary splash for the season has been running Batman: The Ride backward, which is said to make it seem like a different coaster.

Great America's newest roller coaster, X Flight, opened in 2012. It was the fourth winged coaster in the world and the second in the United States.

American Eagle is the park's wooden coaster that has been running for 32 years and is visible from the Tri-State Tollway and other approaches to Gurnee. The 4,650-foot-long ride, which features a 15-story drop on the first hill, has separate tracks built side by side and tops out at 66 mph.

X Flight, the American Eagle and a scenic railway for young children are among the attractions in the County Fair area where the new coaster would be constructed.

Edited by robbalvey

I love how she said plans are confidential and then went on to say what it was.

If this is true though - I'm ecstatic. I really thought we were going to see something like Full Throttle, but I was hoping it'd be something like this. This could really be the chance to give Great America an amazing top 10 coaster since I can't see them working with anyone besides RMC or Intamin.

I'd be pissed if I was the PR department at SFGAm. You worked so hard to get these teasers planned and filmed and the hype machine in motion and this one person says "I can't tell you it going to be a 165 ft high wooden roller coaster and the fastest yet...yeah, can't say nothin' about it."

^^ I'd be pissed too but it was all going to come on Wednesday anyways. At least this is all she said about it, there's still plenty to hype about the ride.

Speaking of the teasers, they did a great job of throwing people off since those videos were filled with so many false clues. But now I'm wondering what the real clues actually were.

I would love another good woodie in the park and actually hoped that was what would end up in IW's spot.

I thought the same thing, and I thought a GCI would be perfect for that particular plot!

I would love another good woodie in the park and actually hoped that was what would end up in IW's spot.

I thought the same thing, and I thought a GCI would be perfect for that particular plot!

GCI's are great, but I think SFGAm is trying to break some records here and make the ride really stand out. Are there any GCI's that actually broke any sort of record though? They are great family woodies though! But I'm leaning towards RMC on this as they seem to be the 'it' company the past 2 years when it comes to this stuff.

Nobody said the mayor violated confidentiality. She said "some parts" of the plan are confidential, meaning she very well may have been allowed (even encouraged to build hype) to reveal it's the fastest woodie. The hype over this info will not hurt the park in the slightest. Now, we anxiously await the full reveal!

I like this. I think this will really bolster the park and lend it some real coaster identity. Given the space this coaster will occupy, this should be a rather unique/interesting layout. I am so accustomed to B&M installations that I am totally "thrown" by the possibility of a RMC.

Am I the only one who thinks this could be another false advertising type thing like the American Eagle poster or RMC hoodie guy pictures?

Half of me is saying that it is real, half of me is denying it.

Since it's in the mainstream media and out of the mayor's mouth, I give this more credibility. I think a woodie makes more sense in that spot than a Full Throttle type coaster. Let's hope this info proves true.

Am I the only one who thinks this could be another false advertising type thing like the American Eagle poster or RMC hoodie guy pictures?

Half of me is saying that it is real, half of me is denying it.

Those were both pranks made by roller coaster enthusiasts. I doubt this could be a prank done by an enthusiast, Daily Herald is a pretty big publication, especially in the Chicago area.

Thanks for clearing that up. Just trying to make sure that it was a reliable source.

It is the worst of the major newspapers in Chicago IMO, but I trust a quote from the mayor of Gurnee. Unless she said steel and the Herald misheard it as wooden, I feel good about the info.

^^ I'd be pissed too but it was all going to come on Wednesday anyways. At least this is all she said about it, there's still plenty to hype about the ride.

Speaking of the teasers, they did a great job of throwing people off since those videos were filled with so many false clues. But now I'm wondering what the real clues actually were.

Yeah there definitely is more to see and this does sound amazing. I can't wait to see what Wednesday brings.

Of course, there is another statement about it being the fastest. It certainly wouldn't be the world's fastest steel, so if you put that and wood coaster together, it does fit. Hopefully, the Daily Herald came through here.

Edited by Intaman

I had hoped for an RMC more than anything but I figured with the space available, a Premier was more likely. I'm extremely happy about this! I wonder if they will remove the Wilderness Theater and possibly cut into part of Picnic Grove for this ride. What if they remove Camp Cartoon and build a new kids section (or relocate the rides) to where the Southwest Amphitheater is now and create a western themed kids area with maybe Yosemite Sam and stuff. Just a thought.

^^See, if you had asked me what was going in IW's spot after its removal, I would have said compact GCI woodie, then when I heard 165 ft., I like you figured a Premier launch with a giant loop, figuring 165 was too high a lift in that space. But, it sounds like it may happen!