TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

^ IgNite is successful in that it does what it was meant to do, which is keep people in the park later. It's reviews have been mixed, same as the reviews for Luminosity, but it's still packing the people into HTS. I personally enjoyed it because I love the technology with the 3D projections and how the pyrotechnics were incorporated. It's definitely a show that's geared towards the younger crowds who come with familys, so I can see how people far outside of that demographic wouldn't care for it. It's worth seeing at least once in my opinion, but not a must do for every visit.

I'm sure it's been asked a bunch of time in this thread, but I'm headed to the park in a few minutes for the first time and really don't know anything about it in terms of logistics. What's the "plan" to get on the most rides (I should get in early with my gold pass), what are good places to get food both inside the park and nearby, how should crowds be on a Monday in July, and is the waterpark included?

I'm sure it's been asked a bunch of time in this thread, but I'm headed to the park in a few minutes for the first time and really don't know anything about it in terms of logistics. What's the "plan" to get on the most rides (I should get in early with my gold pass), what are good places to get food both inside the park and nearby, how should crowds be on a Monday in July, and is the waterpark included?

I am going today too, so I might see you. Go towards the back of the park starting by going to the left. Crowds maybe bad depending on the weather but if it is hot most people will be in the water park which is included and eat out of the park. Just tried to keep it short and sweet.

I only stayed until about 6 last night, but got on everything with no problems. The park was fantastic, and I realized that it's the one of the only parks I've been to where I love every coaster. Viper Backwards was awesome, and much smoother than I expected. I enjoyed Raging Bull more than Apollo's Chariot, even with the massive amount of trimming on the first camelback. I wish I had time to spend in the water park, as it looks pretty good. Overall, a great day at a great park!

I only stayed until about 6 last night, but got on everything with no problems.

Doh! I always think the best time to go in the park is after 6pm... or even 7.. but I know non-locals can't always do that. The park always dies down drastically after 8pm, and of course - the coasters are better and faster at night

The park was fantastic, and I realized that it's the one of the only parks I've been to where I love every coaster.

That's kinda cool to hear! Did you love Demon as well? It seems to be the black sheep of the bunch (and the mouse coasters...).

I was at Great America yesterday with three other people.

We got a regular flash pass, and it was very much worth it that day. Lines were long. The good thing was that while we were waiting to ride, the flat rides and the smaller coasters had little to no wait, so we would hit those up while waiting. We got on every ride, including repiV (which was fantastic, by the way). The day went well. Then it started to get late, around 7:45 ish, crowds started to thin out of the rides. Throughout, people were going to the exits or the igNight show. I'm personally not a fan of the shows, so we just go on more rides. There was absolutely nobody in the rides, so we got to ride each coaster about three times in a row without even getting out of the seat. Raging Bull we did 8 times in a row, so 11 times that day. That ride is pretty frickin' sweet at night. We left around 9:30 because we spotted heat lightning/thunderstorms coming this way. Overall, probably my best Great America trip yet.

And a quick question. I'm planning to go to the Coasters After Dark event for the season pass holders. How are the crowds then?

I only stayed until about 6 last night, but got on everything with no problems.

Doh! I always think the best time to go in the park is after 6pm... or even 7.. but I know non-locals can't always do that. The park always dies down drastically after 8pm, and of course - the coasters are better and faster at night

The park was fantastic, and I realized that it's the one of the only parks I've been to where I love every coaster.

That's kinda cool to hear! Did you love Demon as well? It seems to be the black sheep of the bunch (and the mouse coasters...).

Yeah I had to get down to St. Louis that night, so I couldn't stay too long. I didn't LOVE demon, but it was smoother than most Arrow loopers I've been on, and was satisfying for what it is. It was re-rideable at least. I do enjoy the Dark Knight coasters quite a bit, as I know what to expect and appreciate the effort. Ragin Cajun was my first Zamperla spinner, so I had fun. On another note, Whizzer was my 150th .

Whizzer was my 150th .

Lucky! Good pick

People saying the park should get rid of the one of the mouse coasters reminds me of people wanting Grizzly (at the other Great America) taken down. The mouse coasters (similar to Grizzly) are massively popular with the kids and family crowds... and some thrill seekers. The lines prove that. Same goes for a good number of Vekoma Boomerangs; people love those things.

I have never seen Rajun Cajun have a longer line that Dark Knight, and Dark Knight has a higher capacity.

People don't want to ride RC since the capacity is very low (maybe 60% what it is at other parks?). Season pass holders (a bigger and bigger percentage of park goers every year) know the line moves very slow... so they don't get in it. You can sometimes see people getting out of the queue when they realize it's hardly moving.

Thinking about making the drive up from St Louis to visit Great America soon. Will be 2-3 weekdays, plan on arriving mid afternoon on day, spending the next full day at the park and part of the next. Just looking for tips. Looked back about 20 pages and didn't find any help.

1. Best cheap place to stay? doesn't need to have a shuttle or anything as we have the nationwide season pass parking? would like a pool/hot tub for the end of the day.

2. We don't plan on doing the water park at all, as all rides a similar to what is offered in st. Louis, so is two day enough for the park?

3. Should we purchase a flash pass on the full day we attend?

4. Is the dining pass good only at your local park? I kind of forget on this one.

5. Is there a good plan of attack for the park? What to ride first? etc?

6. How are the shows? Anything worth seeing besides Ignight?

Thanks for the help.

Thinking about making the drive up from St Louis to visit Great America soon. Will be 2-3 weekdays, plan on arriving mid afternoon on day, spending the next full day at the park and part of the next. Just looking for tips. Looked back about 20 pages and didn't find any help.

1. Best cheap place to stay? doesn't need to have a shuttle or anything as we have the nationwide season pass parking? would like a pool/hot tub for the end of the day.

2. We don't plan on doing the water park at all, as all rides a similar to what is offered in st. Louis, so is two day enough for the park?

3. Should we purchase a flash pass on the full day we attend?

4. Is the dining pass good only at your local park? I kind of forget on this one.

5. Is there a good plan of attack for the park? What to ride first? etc?

6. How are the shows? Anything worth seeing besides Ignight?

Thanks for the help.

1. LaQuinta. Clean rooms at a good rate and you can see the park from your window (assuming you are on the correct side of the hotel).

2. Yes, two days will get you everything with time to repeat favorites easily.

3. Probably not at this point. Mid-July weekdays are flooded with local kids but after that it mellows out a lot. August is great for weekdays, we've gone the past four years straight.

4. I believe so, but never bought one so not sure here.

5. Hit X-Flight early one day, repeat until the line is intolerable. Do the same with Raging Bull the next day. V2 can take a long time to get on as well, but the aforementioned two are the big draws as of now.

6. Meh. IgNight is time wasted when you could be getting night rides on Raging Bull and Viper. Not good enough a show to keep me away from those gems. Treasure your night rides, the park is only open so long after dark...