TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I'm ready for Raging Bull backwards!

I would definitely make the trip to ride that. Raging Bull is my favorite steel coaster and my third favorite coaster all around.

I've not been to SFGAm since 2002, but if they ran Raging Bull Backwards I would do everything possible to make the trip!

Hello all, i have a question a few pages back or somewhere else i heard that american eagle is running backwards already is this true? o and a funny pov ive posted in different threads enjoy!

Not yet they will do it for Fright Fest, now it's Batman:TR until July 7th then viper will go backwards July 8th til August 26

I went to the park today for the IgNight preview, and overall I have to say I was pretty impressed. Some parts where a bit cheesy, but the singing was good and the technology in the show was great. They pulled off some really cool things with the projections and pyrotechnics and it's definitely unlike anything else the park has ever done before.

I went to the park today for the IgNight preview, and overall I have to say I was pretty impressed. Some parts where a bit cheesy, but the singing was good and the technology in the show was great. They pulled off some really cool things with the projections and pyrotechnics and it's definitely unlike anything else the park has ever done before.

I also saw IgNight tonight! From a technology and visual standpoint, the show was spot on. The projected fireworks turning into real fireworks really blew my mind! Such a neat effect. I feel that the 3D looking effects worked best; the flipping tiles, the heart snake going through doors, etc. 4K projectors never fail to impress. The storyline seemed nearly impossible to follow and really distracted from what could have been an incredible show. Parts of the show were also "uncomfortably cheesy" as my friends and I put it, where you were almost embarrassed to be watching. I hope as time goes by, they evolve the show into different concepts. I think the show would be better as a more "music driven" production than a storyline. Play top 40 songs, get the audience to sing, dance, and clap along! Guest interaction is a must to generate the type of energy this show lacked. My real hope: A horror themed show for Fright Fest!

then viper will go backwards July 8th til August 26

How did you find this out? I just searched the Internet and I can't find anywhere that says it.

And WHY IS EVERYTHING GOING BACKWARDS?????????????????

Edit: NVMD. Just saw it. But WHY IS EVERYTHING GOING BACKWARDS?????? This makes no sense. Why don't they just add a new coaster? Plus everyone I know likes the rides better when they were forwards.

Edit: NVMD. Just saw it. But WHY IS EVERYTHING GOING BACKWARDS?????? This makes no sense. Why don't they just add a new coaster? Plus everyone I know likes the rides better when they were forwards.

It's a cheap and effective way to promote a ride by offering a new ride experience.

I rode Dark Knight three times on Wednesday and it seemed like each ride was different with different effects going off. Seems like whatever sets them off isn't working right, but there were a few that never went off on any ride.

How did you find this out? I just searched the Internet and I can't find anywhere that says it.

You can literally Google the words "Viper Backwards" and it's the first thing that comes up. It's also the subtitle of this thread.

This is a last time I'll state my opinion on why the Dark Knight Coaster is an extreme let down.

The park already had a mouse. That was all they needed. I guess SFGAm either wanted to bump up the coaster count or try to put in a dark ride so they had one.

But the dark ride effects are half-a$$ed and the only successfully themed part of the experience is the pre-show room through to the loading area. The roller coaster is pretty much a boring mouse in dim light with neon "HAHA"'s written all over the walls, and a few statues placed near the track that are of Batman. It feels like a slow romp through a warehouse.

If the pre-show is gone, the ride loses its only theme-ing. Why not remove the embarrassment that is the failed theme-ing on the ride? If they turned off all the lights and added a few lighting effects similar to Space Mountain, the ride would be a lot more interesting IMO. They don't even have to remove the props already there if they can keep them turned off. In the pitch black nobody can even see what is there.

And why has there even been comparisons on Dark Knight and Rock n Roller Coaster. RNR is a launched coaster with loops, speed, intensity, on-board audio by an amazing band, and good enough theme-ing. I mean, the whole plot is that you are driving to an Aerosmith concert on a highway. Audio-Animatronics would've been a blur and wouldn't have made any sense. The ride accomplishes what it needed to. DN did not.

There is no reason why Sally Corporation couldn't have made Jokers, clowns, Batmans, etc. to be placed in slow areas of the ride. But I see no reason why SF would even do that at this point. Just theme it towards space exploration and remove all of the lighting except for a few light tunnels or something cool. A ride in complete darkness like Space Mountain makes the ride seem faster than it is.

Okay, I'm done ranting.

On a positive note, the projection system on Ignite is freaking awesome.

On a negative note, the singers are bad. Even for a Six Flags show. I felt embarrassed watching the show.

^Is there anybody who really thinks The Dark Knight is that great to the point that this rant was needed, especially over five years after the ride opened?

The ride was added to the parks as a way to tie in to an insanely successful intellectual property and satisfy management's overflowing desire at the time to add family-friendly attractions across the Six Flags chain (see Thomas Town and Wiggles World for further proof). There is no purpose in altering the attraction at this point in time--it does what it was meant to do and nothing more.

At the end of the day, you need to remember that Six Flags didn't build this ride to satisfy you or any other coaster enthusiast. The ride was built for the general public that buys tickets when they see a new coaster added to their "home park," especially one that ties in with one of the most successful and popular comic book films in the history of cinema. It may not bring people into the park now like it might have in the year or two that the ride was first marketed, but is still a functioning roller coaster that ties into the still-profitable franchise while satisfying the needs of the guest looking for a family-friendly attraction.

I can see why you were disappointed with this attraction, but it is by no means a failure when you consider why it was built, what it was built to be and what it continues to do for the park.

And why has there even been comparisons on Dark Knight and Rock n Roller Coaster. RNR is a launched coaster with loops, speed, intensity, on-board audio by an amazing band, and good enough theme-ing. I mean, the whole plot is that you are driving to an Aerosmith concert on a highway. Audio-Animatronics would've been a blur and wouldn't have made any sense. The ride accomplishes what it needed to. DN did not.

Because YOU brought up the comparison, about five pages back....

Edited by mcjaco

^Is there anybody who really thinks The Dark Knight is that great to the point that this rant was needed, especially over five years after the ride opened?

The ride was added to the parks as a way to tie in to an insanely successful intellectual property and satisfy management's overflowing desire at the time to add family-friendly attractions across the Six Flags chain (see Thomas Town and Wiggles World for further proof). There is no purpose in altering the attraction at this point in time--it does what it was meant to do and nothing more.

At the end of the day, you need to remember that Six Flags didn't build this ride to satisfy you or any other coaster enthusiast. The ride was built for the general public that buys tickets when they see a new coaster added to their "home park," especially one that ties in with one of the most successful and popular comic book films in the history of cinema. It may not bring people into the park now like it might have in the year or two that the ride was first marketed, but is still a functioning roller coaster that ties into the still-profitable franchise while satisfying the needs of the guest looking for a family-friendly attraction.

I can see why you were disappointed with this attraction, but it is by no means a failure when you consider why it was built, what it was built to be and what it continues to do for the park.

I agree it was never meant to be a great "coaster enthusiast" ride and we shouldn't expect it to be, but is it too much to ask for the details to be working properly? How much could it possibly cost to fix the "security monitor" in the line?

Does anyone know what happened to the red Raging Bull train? I don't think it's been in operation at all this season, and it's not even in that garage off to the side. I hope it's just out for maintenance. I'd hate to see Raging Bull go down to two trains permanently.

Does anyone know what happened to the red Raging Bull train? I don't think it's been in operation at all this season, and it's not even in that garage off to the side. I hope it's just out for maintenance. I'd hate to see Raging Bull go down to two trains permanently.

It was put on the storage track Saturday should be in operation soon

EDIT: Here's a video of them putting it on

I went to SFGAm yesterday and everything had a very short wait. I only got to stay for an hour and half though because of a family emergency so I had to leave around noon. I hit up Viper first and got the first train of the day. I still consider it one of the more underrated airtime machines. Always packs a nice little punch!

Next I went to Raging Bull and waited only 5 minutes. The red train has been assembled but was still sitting on the storage track. They might wait until this weekend to run it. Raging Bull always provides a fun and smooth ride. After I got off, I hit up X-Flight for the first time this season. That first drop always has such a unique and exciting feeling.

After this I went to my favorite coaster in the park, American Eagle. It was only running the red side but both trains were going. It's definitely the roughest coaster in the park since Wolf left but still my favorite because of that classic thrill it provides. I went to Viper once more and then had to leave. I wish I could've gotten pictures but that was the last thing on my mind. Maybe next time when I go again in a couple weeks.

ok so first time on Namtab (Batman) and to be honest it sucked the line was out to the fist switchbacks out of the sewer entrance. After a 25 minute wait i got on the fourth row far left seat and up the lift hill it felt strange to be facing backwards. The drop and twist was fine and the pullout was pretty forceful as always, the fist loop felt oddly forceless but wasnt rough.

Now is where the ride started sucking the lead into the Zero G roll gave a viscious snap to the left and was really unexpexted given the usual ride experience. Second vertical loop same as the first, however the turn out into the turnaroud gave another good wap to the skull. The dive into the corkscrew was decently smooth then the corkscrew itself was another headbanger the rapid bank up and around into the other corkscrew was just plain bad left to right head bang.

Second corkscrew was just like the first uncomfortable the final turn into the brakes was smooth but at this point all i was saying and thinking was how dissapointing it was im not sure what i was expecting maybe a more dizzing experience but it wasnt and the forces felt weaker so if this is how the rest of the batmans around the country in the next few years some people are gonna be split over the ride experience, i hope i just got a shitty ride but i dont know.