TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Wow, that's great thanks! Looks more or less what I thought it would, but I also assumed Viper took Rolling Thunder's queue. Didn't know they coexisted for a year.

Very cool. So Viper has had a long queue with both entrances... Also an interesting POV without Southwest Territory or Raging Bull.

• 2 weeks later...

Press Release from Six Flags Great America....

Six Flags Great America Announces BATMAN: The Ride Backwards

GURNEE, Ill. — February 20, 2013 — Go Big. Go Backwards! For a limited time only, the world’s first

suspended looping coaster, BATMAN: The Ride, will be more intense than ever when riders dare to take on

an all new experience – going backwards!

As the roller coaster climbs the 10-story lift hill, riders will take in the full scope of BATMAN: The Ride’s track

as they anticipate the adventure that lies ahead. The train will reach speeds of 50 mph and travel through

2,700 feet of track, all while maneuvering hairpin turns, vertical loops, corkscrews and a zero-g roll. The

excitement is magnified since guests cannot see the maneuvers that await.

“BATMAN: The Ride will open for its 21st season this spring, offering our guests an entirely different ride

experience by going backwards. No matter how many times you have been on BATMAN: The Ride, nothing

compares to the thrill of racing down 10 stories facing the other direction,” said Hank Salemi, Six Flags Great

America park president. “You literally have no idea what is coming next. This is a tremendous new experience

for our guests and one to take advantage of quickly since it will only be available for a limited time.”

Since opening in 1992, BATMAN: The Ride has given more than 28 million thrilling rides and reigns as one of

the most popular roller coasters in the world. BATMAN: The Ride backwards will launch on Saturday, May 4 –

the park’s opening weekend – and be available for a limited time this summer.

Press Release from Six Flags Great America....

Six Flags Great America Announces BATMAN: The Ride Backwards

GURNEE, Ill. — February 20, 2013 — Go Big. Go Backwards! For a limited time only, the world’s first

suspended looping coaster, BATMAN: The Ride, will be more intense than ever when riders dare to take on

an all new experience – going backwards!

As the roller coaster climbs the 10-story lift hill, riders will take in the full scope of BATMAN: The Ride’s track

as they anticipate the adventure that lies ahead. The train will reach speeds of 50 mph and travel through

2,700 feet of track, all while maneuvering hairpin turns, vertical loops, corkscrews and a zero-g roll. The

excitement is magnified since guests cannot see the maneuvers that await.

“BATMAN: The Ride will open for its 21st season this spring, offering our guests an entirely different ride

experience by going backwards. No matter how many times you have been on BATMAN: The Ride, nothing

compares to the thrill of racing down 10 stories facing the other direction,” said Hank Salemi, Six Flags Great

America park president. “You literally have no idea what is coming next. This is a tremendous new experience

for our guests and one to take advantage of quickly since it will only be available for a limited time.”

Since opening in 1992, BATMAN: The Ride has given more than 28 million thrilling rides and reigns as one of

the most popular roller coasters in the world. BATMAN: The Ride backwards will launch on Saturday, May 4 –

the park’s opening weekend – and be available for a limited time this summer.

So you're saying this is "Limited Time Magic"??? Does Disney know about this!?!?

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a few new things around the park other than IgNite.

BD_DZtSCAAEmWZE.jpg

The old ticket booths are being removed for the new entrance area. The metal detectors will be moved to their spot, with all ticket sales moved to a single building to the left.

BDaM56kCQAM3LHu.jpg

Yankee Clipper is getting a new turntable.

BFVpLm5CEAA_0Yx.jpg

The new sports bar replacing Crazy Buffet-lo is looking pretty good! First full service bar in the park as well.

BFVjPW5CQAA1ZIV.jpg

Lots of new food this year, such as this buffalo chicken pizza.

BBe9FN3CEAEsMA4.jpg

Screams & Dreams part 3 production is well underway, with filming being done in what looks like an old gym shower.

All pictures from the park Twitter.

Anyone else find it odd how they are tearing out those buildings with the flags still flying? I don't know why that strikes me as odd.

I haven't followed too closely exactly the new flow of the entrance plaza, but a part of me is definitely bummed about yet another Marriott staple going away. I'm thankful that remnants remain at both parks, and continue to be amazed at what still exists at Gurnee (the train, Whizzer) vs what still exists in Santa Clara (the covered walkway by the old Sky Whirl site, Eagle's Flight). Really glad that double decker carousel/pond and Demon are still at BOTH parks.....and happy to see Gurnee still working to maintain their flume rides!

New food? Awesome. I went last year and it really felt like the menu for the whole park had become super limited. I liked a lot of the park but the food used to be better. Or at least I remember it being better and having way more variety. Also, the ads plastered floor to ceiling everywhere in the park is kind of insane. Like V2, brought to you by hair gel.

I am also kind of surprised the park isn't building the new entrance even further out. It seems that it would then leave even more room for expansion into the parking lot.

Well that's kind of disheartening that they're tearing these original structures down without much thought. Not entirely thrilled about this new entrance setup either. I mean, I can at least understand the setup that Cedar Point is doing as the old ticket booths were quite generic and blocked the entrance, but at least these ones had some character and the design carried through the whole entrance area with the carousel and some of the original buildings. Now with the metal detectors there, makes you feel like you're walking into a prison.

I'm also bummed that the ticket booths have been reduced to rubble. They added some character to the front of the park however I'm all for moving the metal detectors away from the entrance as it will speed up the process of getting in.

Moving the ticket booths to the side seems to be a trend at most parks. Kings Island did the same thing under Paramount by demolishing their ticket booths for metal detectors that Cedar Fair eventually removed.

Ugh this makes me sick. I totally 100% get what they are doing and this new layout makes so much sense, but that was one of my favorite park entrances. The architectural continuity between those ticket booths and the rest of the main entry plaza all the way to the carousel was nice. Blah!

For this to be happening the same year that they remove the park square area from hometown square is equally disheartening.

^ The HTS park should only be gone for the season. At No Coaster Con one of the entertainment leads said that any changes to Hometown Square will be reversible and that they didn't want to have to remove a lot of the area but it just wasn't really possible to leave the area as is. And while I'm kinda bummed the area will be gone for next year as it was a good place to sit and relax, it really will be best in the end with the crowd IgNite will bring. Even with the parade the area was packed, and people had half the park to spread out over.

Now with the metal detectors there, makes you feel like you're walking into a prison.

Those have been there for years.

I know, they were hidden behind the turnstiles, and the process to check through wasn't bad, but now with them out front in the open, not exactly the first thing I want to see when I walk up to a park's entrance.

I don't normally venture into this thread but figure I'd post. While the ticket booths looked nice, I can see how they'd kind of be outdated now as everyone's purchasing tickets ahead of time. Doing away with smaller ticket booths to the side makes sense. But walking up to a line of metal detectors does seem like it would feel like you're entering a prison or high security. At least do something to hide it. Our metal detectors are present but are obscured by the ticket booths when you walk up. At least at SFDK, their detectors are covered under a roof and looks a little nicer than just open air detectors. And their roof is quite simplistic. Walking up to something that looks nice before you enter the park sets a good first impression in my opinion. The architecture of the original booths reminds me of what kinds of buildings I'll see inside and agreed, it ties in nicely with the classic Carousel Columbia.

The HTS plaza/shaded area...we still have ours, makes a great spot to rest and is one of the reasons why Great America has always been a nice-looking park landscape-wise. Shame that you guys are losing yours...more charm flushed away...

On the positive note, maybe SFGAm's carousel will get the needed paint/tlc like it's sister in CA.

Doing away with smaller ticket booths to the side makes sense. But walking up to a line of metal detectors does seem like it would feel like you're entering a prison or high security. At least do something to hide it. Our metal detectors are present but are obscured by the ticket booths when you walk up. At least at SFDK, their detectors are covered under a roof and looks a little nicer than just open air detectors. And their roof is quite simplistic. Walking up to something that looks nice before you enter the park sets a good first impression in my opinion.

I completely agree. Any type of structure to obscure what otherwise looks somewhat imposing is a plus. First impressions of the entrance area in my opinion form a considerable part of whether the overall experience of the park was welcoming and pleasant or not.