TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Seems like there isn't a real one size fits all solution. X Flight doesn't give me any problems. I've got a slimmish 5'11 build. The way it hangs you upside down, I feel like I'd fall out if it didn't have OTS restraints. Seems like it's long enough to where it's defying centrifugal force.

I am also 5'11 and average build, but those vest really push down on my collar bone. Not bad enough to make me not enjoy the ride, but it is the first thing I noticed. There will never be a one size fits all solution, especially with 50% of the people who to go Great America so huge they take up a quarter of the midway and seem to only wait in lines for food. I really don't understand why some people pay admission, is it for the overpriced food?

The way it hangs you upside down, I feel like I'd fall out if it didn't have OTS restraints.

But that's a good thing! It's a thrill - it's supposed to do that. You would be just fine with lap bars.

When I was kid, a budding coaster geek, I really got a thrill out of going upside-down with just a lap bar. I still do

Even the old Anton/Intamin lap bars are fine when put to the test, as shown here (not comfy - but safe):

On X Flight I fall into the top of the harness, especially on the last inversion after the keyhole. I was never quite sure if we'd still be secure if there was no harness. I did hear about some coaster where people stayed in when the harnesses failed due to cen force, just not sure if that would apply when you're hanging upside down so long.

The crowds at GA are far different than those at CP. Don't know about other SF parks, but I'd take the CP crowd over GA in a second. Much tamer. Don't know how much that has to do with the setup of the parks. At GA it feels like you're bombarded by midway games at every turn.

I did hear about some coaster where people stayed in when the harnesses failed due to cen force

Yup, me too. And the kids that DIED on the Edge, The Beast decapitating someone in the tunnel, Magnum sinking, the kid who *literally* was going to fly out of the American Eagle's first drop, but his dad saved him.... ahhh the GP

When I worked on the CP Blue Streak the guy who got off all freaked out and was telling me over and over "the first car came all the way off the track then fell back down!!!" He insisted I shut the ride down and blah blah blah... "It's OK sir, the cars do come an inch or so off the track, they are supposed to do that. The cars cannot leave the track, they are locked-in" didn't help one bit.

Full Fright Fest details released! Same scare zones as last year. New name for Rue Le Morgue and a new retheme for Fiddlers Fling.

Fearful Frights

New! Wicked Woods

Few have survived the haunted forest, where terrors hide amongst the dark trees. Locals usually report hearing the wind's eerie whistle and hiker's bloody screams.

New! Manslaughter Manor

Only the brave will survive the haunted hallways of Manslaughter Manor, while the weak will succumb to the terror that has surrounded the house throughout it's history.

New! The Dead Line

Take a trip aboard the Sector 7 Railway to visit Fun Haven, Illinois’ only Zombie Free Attraction! However this haunted train ride may also be a trip to your death.

Massacre Medical Center

Enjoy a nighttime tour of the asylum – originally known for its innovative techniques, but now remembered for the night the insane inmates ran wild and attacked everyone in sight.

Mausoleum of Terror

These hungry zombies have returned from the ground to seek revenge on the living and terrorize those who travel through the Mausoleum of Terror.

Entertainment:

New! Fright Club: NC-17

There’s a party at Fright Fest this year. Get ready to dance the night away in a club where being dead is hot!

Love at First Fright

Head over to the stage to see ghouls rocking out this Halloween. These monsters may look harmful, but the friendly creatures are just a bit serious and sensitive about their music.

Dead Man's Party

The freaks gather for the biggest party of the season, and the costumed real-life zombies are looking for other guests to join their clan.

Full Moon Rocksplosion

The zombies have risen from the ground and this undead army is ready to rock. The chaotic demonstration of song and dance will liven the mood and prey on the living.

Zombie Jamboree Day Parade

It looks like a friendly parade, but it's really a funeral procession where real zombies wander the streets. Stay out of the way or you could join the march next year.

Fantome

Last Stop Stage (The Last Stop: Burn 'Em and Burried Circus) - This bizarre sideshow circus is demanding their time in the spotlight, and they'll do whatever it takes to make you squirm in amazement.

Susan Rosen: Mistress of Mesmerism

Pictorium (Carousel Plaza) - Returning this Fright Fest, witness the marvels of hypnosis or volunteer to fall under a spell yourself during this astonishing show in the Pictorium.

Face 2 Face

County Fair Stage (County Fair) - Come watch our talented make-up artists as they are challenged to create a monster in 20 minutes.

Scary-oke

Mission Stage (Tinseltown Terror) - Sing your favorite songs if you dare but remember to stay on key. Hitting a wrong note really angers the monsters. Don't let this be the last tune you sing.

Scare Zones:

Necropolis

Formerly The Picnic Grove - A zombie infection has taken over the city of Necropolis. Blood-thirsty members of the undead and other evil creatures lurk throughout the city with several scouring the area for their next meal. ...

Bayou Du Vaudou

Formerly Orleans Place - Enter the gates to Bayou du Vaudoo and find yourself in the deep dank swamps of Louisiana.

The Last Stop: Burn 'em and Burried Circus

Formerly Mardi Gras - A troupe of circus performers where on their way back home from their summer performances in 1973 when fate had a different plan.

Port Dread

Formerly Yankee Harbor - Port Dread is the Sea Side docking station for some of the most notorious and evil the sea has to offer.

The Ruins of Fenrir

Formerly County Fair Train Station Area - On the outskirts of every town, in the darkness beyond the safety of neighborhoods and street lights, strange things happen that can only be explained by folklore and nightmares.

Hellmouth

The Demon Area in County Fair - The first Demon arrived in 1980 transforming the Turn of the Century ride, since then he has recruited other demons to watch over the ride when he is unable to satisfy his appetite.

Tinsletown Terror

Formerly Southwest Territory - Visit this long abandoned movie studio back lot possessed by the deadliest stars of movie history. The movies have never been so “reel.” Will you survive your Horror Screen Test?

Sector 7

Formerly Hometown Square - A terrible industrial accident resulted in all of the residents turning into zombies. The town was cut off from the rest of the world and labeled Sector 7. No one from the outside world knows what

Rethemed Rides:

Demon

Formerly Turn of the Century - Demon may be one of the most celebrated roller coasters in the world, but it is also the premier residence in the park for angry, disillusioned spirits whose only joy in death is tormenting

Terror Twister 2: A Turn for the Worse

Formerly Chubascco - A Fright Fest favorite! With enhanced lighting, equipment, and effects, Terror Twister 2 – A Turn for the Worse, will be sure to disorient riders as they spin through DJ Terror’s club.

The Birds of the Bayou

Formerly The Condor - It may seem like the safest place at the park, but it isn't. Condor is the home of the Sirens, beautiful, captivating creatures who quickly and painfully inhabit your soul.

La Maison d'Obscurite

Formerly Rue Le Dodge - In the heart of the bayou lies its dark soul: the House of Darkness.

The Dying Trapeze

Formerly King Chaos - The performers from one of their star attractions were lost in the Great Last Stop Fire while their trapeze sat dormant most of the summer.

New! Valhalla Fyre

Formerly Fiddler's Fling - One of the original ride operators from the park back in 1976 sold the soul of the fiddler to an ancient norse mythology god, every October that firey cycle starts all over!

The Pit and the Pendulum

Formerly The Revolution - Hear the slashing blades of the pendulum?

The Black Widow

Formerly The American Eagle - In this part of Illinois the convoluted surfaces of some of our rides are unfortunately an attractive nesting place for insects.

Giant Drop of Doom

Formerly The Giant Drop - This is not the same ride you are used to during the summer. The ghosts of past Tinseltown Studio employees have taken over the ride.

Ricoslay

Formerly Ricochet - The local butcher has come up with one easy way to grind up all of his meat.

Snakes on a Train

Formerly The Viper - Colonel Peabody for years has been breading snakes for his infamous elixir.

BioHazard

Formerly The Whizzer - A secret toxic dump right behind The BioHazard has now leaked into the water supply of Hometown USA, now known as Sector 7.

Reactor Core

Formerly The Hometown Fun Machine - The Reactor Core is the base of the Sector 7 disaster.

http://frightfest.sixflags.com/greatamerica/attractions/

http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/15082468-418/dad-sues-great-america-for-girls-fright-fest-fall.html

A man whose daughter fell while being chased by a character at Six Flags Great America’s Halloween-themed Fright Fest last year has filed a $30,000 lawsuit against the Gurnee theme park.

Marian Pieczonka claims his young daughter Natalie, whose age was not disclosed, was at the park Oct. 9, 2011, for Fright Fest at the Hunted Trails when a character jumped out of a port-a-potty, frightening her, and shot her with a water gun.

She tripped and fell as the character began to chase her, leaving her with scrapes, cuts and bruises, the suit, filed Monday in Cook County Circuit Court, claims.

Her father blames Six Flags Great America for encouraging employees to frighten and chase patrons inside the park, despite the presence of tripping hazards, the suit said.

Six Flags Great America spokeswoman Kathryn Enrique said Tuesday the park has no comment on the lawsuit.

“However, I can assure you that the safety and well-being of our guests and employees is our top priority,” Enrique said.

The one-count suit seeks $30,000 in damages.

http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/15082468-418/dad-sues-great-america-for-girls-fright-fest-fall.html

A man whose daughter fell while being chased by a character at Six Flags Great America’s Halloween-themed Fright Fest last year has filed a $30,000 lawsuit against the Gurnee theme park.

Marian Pieczonka claims his young daughter Natalie, whose age was not disclosed, was at the park Oct. 9, 2011, for Fright Fest at the Hunted Trails when a character jumped out of a port-a-potty, frightening her, and shot her with a water gun.

She tripped and fell as the character began to chase her, leaving her with scrapes, cuts and bruises, the suit, filed Monday in Cook County Circuit Court, claims.

Her father blames Six Flags Great America for encouraging employees to frighten and chase patrons inside the park, despite the presence of tripping hazards, the suit said.

Six Flags Great America spokeswoman Kathryn Enrique said Tuesday the park has no comment on the lawsuit.

“However, I can assure you that the safety and well-being of our guests and employees is our top priority,” Enrique said.

The one-count suit seeks $30,000 in damages.

This was already posted on page 404.

Link: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51125&start=4030

Heh, good catch on that story re-post...I knew I had read that somewhere before!

Love the picture of the bin full of gravestones.....amazing to think that it's already been 5 years since DejaVu went buh bye. Then crazy to see a picture of one of Sky Whirl's cabins just a few photos later. Man, that would honestly be one of the first guilty pleasure rides I would resurrect when I built my dream park. What a ride....that and Hay Baler were a great back-to-back.

2013 - Batman Backwards - Rumor - (9/18/12) Screamscape sources report that pretty much like we heard from Six Flags St. Louis over the summer… the ride mechanics at Great America have been doing a little Frankenstein work with Batman during the off-hours. They too are said to be testing the concept of backwards facing seats on Batman: The Ride as a sort of extra “new” attraction they can promote for the Summer 2013 season.

From Screamscape. Despite how popular backwards Eagle was, I'd be shocked if there is even the smallest sliver of truth to this.

2013 - Batman Backwards - Rumor - (9/18/12) Screamscape sources report that pretty much like we heard from Six Flags St. Louis over the summer… the ride mechanics at Great America have been doing a little Frankenstein work with Batman during the off-hours. They too are said to be testing the concept of backwards facing seats on Batman: The Ride as a sort of extra “new” attraction they can promote for the Summer 2013 season.

From Screamscape. Despite how popular backwards Eagle was, I'd be shocked if there is even the smallest sliver of truth to this.

I hope not, Batman clones are way too intense to be ran backwards (I can see a lot of whiplash complaints).

Here's an article about Tiny incase anyone was interested and didn't see the Facebook postings. I noticed yesterday that there was a RIP sign on the side of American Eagle where Tiny is normally perched.

http://newssun.suntimes.com/15214333-417/no-more-coaster-climbing-for-tiny-fright-fest-icon.html

No more coaster climbing for Tiny, Fright Fest icon

BY DAN MORAN dmoran@stmedianetwork.com September 17, 2012 7:16PM

Reprints

After 21 years of hanging on the side of the American Eagle Roller Coaster for Fright Fest at Six Flags Great America in Gurnee "Tiny" the 200 lb spider has been retired.

GURNEE — After more than two decades as a Halloween-season fixture on the Six Flags Great America skyline, Tiny the Spider, a 40-foot inflatable black widow that famously survived a kidnapping attempt in 1994, will be laid to rest later this month after being found “deflated and unresponsive” on Monday.

Ads by GoogleBlack solutionsMicrobiology: Prin. & Explorations 8th Edition Solutions. View Free! Chegg.com/Homework-Help/Black“Determined that Tiny simply could not hold on any longer, she perished beside the American Eagle roller coaster after attempting her 22nd annual march to her post alongside the (Tri-State) tollway,” Great America spokeswoman Katy Enrique said in a statement. “Considered the icon of Fright Fest, Tiny will be missed by the staff and guests alike.”

Enrique added that the late arachnid’s three babies — which revealed to the world that Tiny was a she and not a he in September of 2000 — “will remain on the American Eagle as tribute to their mother” for Fright Fest 2012.

Tiny was first hoisted on the southwest side of the wooden American Eagle roller coaster in 1991, which was also the inaugural year for Fright Fest at Great America.

At the time the spider went up in late September of that year, it was reported to be 40 feet long and 40 feet wide, weighing 200 pounds and consisting of 200 yards of black vinyl. The oversized decoration reportedly was constructed by Bigger Than Life, a California advertising firm, and came with a $15,000 price tag.

Perhaps Tiny’s most notable moment arrived on Oct. 1, 1994, when park employees looked out that Saturday morning and saw she was missing from where she had just been put up three days earlier. Officials quickly determined that vandals had climbed over a security fence and waded through a small pond before climbing up the web-like structure of the coaster and cutting the spider loose.

But, as a Gurnee police officer put it at the time, “something that big has to show up somewhere.” Three days after the theft, a passerby noticed a large black thing sitting inside an open garage on Country Club Avenue near Green Bay Road, about three miles from the park. Three 20-year-old culprits were subsequently charged with theft and criminal trespass, and Tiny was returned to her perch.

And now the end is near. According to Enrique, “Tiny will be laid to rest on Six Flags grounds. Visitation and services will take place at Six Flags Great America on Saturday, Sept. 29,” which is opening day for Fright Fest.

Leave it to Six Flags to F with perfection.

The RIP Tiny thing has got to be one of the weirdest/funniest things SFGAm has done. Just seeing a giant chalk outline of a spider is so strange!

It's a cute gimmick. I'm kinda sad to see Tiny go. It must have been a really slow news day for the local paper to write an article.

Batman backwards? I'm in, would love to give it a try. It can't be THAT much more intense than it is going forwards can it? I mean it's not like they are changing the layout or speeding up the ride or anything, they're just turning the seats around. I think it would be kinda cool.

I can't decide if its a good or bad thing that the park is using their time to plan a funeral for a blow up spider.

Well, it got them into the paper, and it was a pretty well-known icon of Fright Fest. :shrugs: It will be a little different to not see it there.

Batman backwards? I'm in, would love to give it a try. It can't be THAT much more intense than it is going forwards can it? I mean it's not like they are changing the layout or speeding up the ride or anything, they're just turning the seats around. I think it would be kinda cool.

It's no more intense but your body doesn't prepare itself for the changes in direction and such. If you know the ride to a tee that's fine, you can brace yourself. But for the average person riding, they're going to get even more ragdolled than they currently do, especially if they don't ride defensively to begin with (which most people don't).

Here's an article about Tiny incase anyone was interested and didn't see the Facebook postings. I noticed yesterday that there was a RIP sign on the side of American Eagle where Tiny is normally perched.

http://newssun.suntimes.com/15214333-417/no-more-coaster-climbing-for-tiny-fright-fest-icon.html

No more coaster climbing for Tiny, Fright Fest icon

BY DAN MORAN dmoran@stmedianetwork.com September 17, 2012 7:16PM

Reprints

After 21 years of hanging on the side of the American Eagle Roller Coaster for Fright Fest at Six Flags Great America in Gurnee "Tiny" the 200 lb spider has been retired.

GURNEE — After more than two decades as a Halloween-season fixture on the Six Flags Great America skyline, Tiny the Spider, a 40-foot inflatable black widow that famously survived a kidnapping attempt in 1994, will be laid to rest later this month after being found “deflated and unresponsive” on Monday.

Ads by GoogleBlack solutionsMicrobiology: Prin. & Explorations 8th Edition Solutions. View Free! Chegg.com/Homework-Help/Black“Determined that Tiny simply could not hold on any longer, she perished beside the American Eagle roller coaster after attempting her 22nd annual march to her post alongside the (Tri-State) tollway,” Great America spokeswoman Katy Enrique said in a statement. “Considered the icon of Fright Fest, Tiny will be missed by the staff and guests alike.”

Enrique added that the late arachnid’s three babies — which revealed to the world that Tiny was a she and not a he in September of 2000 — “will remain on the American Eagle as tribute to their mother” for Fright Fest 2012.

Tiny was first hoisted on the southwest side of the wooden American Eagle roller coaster in 1991, which was also the inaugural year for Fright Fest at Great America.

At the time the spider went up in late September of that year, it was reported to be 40 feet long and 40 feet wide, weighing 200 pounds and consisting of 200 yards of black vinyl. The oversized decoration reportedly was constructed by Bigger Than Life, a California advertising firm, and came with a $15,000 price tag.

Perhaps Tiny’s most notable moment arrived on Oct. 1, 1994, when park employees looked out that Saturday morning and saw she was missing from where she had just been put up three days earlier. Officials quickly determined that vandals had climbed over a security fence and waded through a small pond before climbing up the web-like structure of the coaster and cutting the spider loose.

But, as a Gurnee police officer put it at the time, “something that big has to show up somewhere.” Three days after the theft, a passerby noticed a large black thing sitting inside an open garage on Country Club Avenue near Green Bay Road, about three miles from the park. Three 20-year-old culprits were subsequently charged with theft and criminal trespass, and Tiny was returned to her perch.

And now the end is near. According to Enrique, “Tiny will be laid to rest on Six Flags grounds. Visitation and services will take place at Six Flags Great America on Saturday, Sept. 29,” which is opening day for Fright Fest.

I went to high school with one of the guys who stole Tiny back in '94 (we went to Gurnee's Warren Township H.S). No joke. His name was Bill. Quite a feat right there on interstate 94.

I don't think this is truly the end of Tiny. I've been skeptical while talking with my wife about it. Huge PR stunt by the park. Undead Tiny coming in a couple weeks?