TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

So I'm going here tomorrow. I haven't been there since 2007 so I'm a little rusty. Couple of quick questions:

Just how stupid busy is the place going to be?

At rope drop, is it still "Proceed directly to Superman, do not pass Go, do not collect $200. " or is "Proceed directly to somewhere else?

Where exactly is this new technological terror? Iron Wolf's old spot?

Anyhow, if any of you want to meet up tomorrow, let me know.

So I'm going here tomorrow. I haven't been there since 2007 so I'm a little rusty. Couple of quick questions:

Just how stupid busy is the place going to be?

I have no clue, but you are probably headed to the park now, as it is "tomorrow." Monday wasn't bad at all. Most of the time I go to the park late afternoon/early evening. By that time, plenty of folks are tired from a long hot day and are headed home. Sure - the waterpark closes then and all those wet fiends head into the ride park, but plenty of folks are leaving so it works out.

On Monday, most of the stuff I went on had a 15 minute wait maximum.

July is usually a very busy time at the park, but today is a good day - I think tomorrow (July 4th) will be packed to the gills. The busiest I have EVER seen the park, however, is during Fright Fest. It's much worse then b/c the waterpark is not open to suck up some of the guest volume.

At rope drop, is it still "Proceed directly to Superman, do not pass Go, do not collect $200. " or is "Proceed directly to somewhere else?

I'm not sure I understand, but I'm rarely at the park at rope drop. It's probably the same as the other "big" parks. If you want to get to the new ride first, be at the front and be prepared to aggressively mow down other peeps. Or, just take your time heading to the not-as-popular big rides like American Eagle, Viper, Demon, etc... and enjoy X-Flight later in the day. After about 8pm, the crowds drop fast. After 9, many rides are a walk-on.

Oh yeah, Eagle has been racing, but not until after 1pm and only one side is open later at night Beggars can't be choosers!

DO NOT MISS a front seat ride on Eagle.

Don't forget - the best night rides are Whizzer, Eagle and Demon. Not only do you have short (or no) wait, but those coasters take on a different personality at night. I am biased, of course.

Another don't forget - if you find an empty seat - by all means jump in! The park is pretty relaxed about re-rides if the seat is empty. Just don't throw a fit if there is a random employee that says "no re-rides during the day" or something like that. Just get in, and act dumb.

Anyhow, if any of you want to meet up tomorrow, let me know.

That would be great - but it's already tomorrow! Doh! I was thinking about going up to the park tonight, message me if you would like to meet up.

Have fun! Don't miss Fiddler's Fling - it's the fastest damn ride in the park (they don't make em like that anymore!) Again - better at night with all the crazy head/tail lights.

Flash Pass is lame... I mean, if the park had great ride efficiencies, I wouldn't be as against it. I don't think you need it - and only "Platinum" (or whatever the highest level is) is good for ONE ride on X-Flight (I think...)

I'm always dumfounded by the folks walking up the Flash Pass entrances to ride that have NO wait. Must be a superiority thing...

I'm always dumfounded by the folks walking up the Flash Pass entrances to ride that have NO wait. Must be a superiority thing...

I see this happening way more often than you would think. Flash Pass is an excellent option to have in many cases. I'm planning on a visit to Hershey Park this summer, and between the horror stories about how crowds get and the likelihood that I won't be back anytime soon- I would pounce on a Lo-Q type system if it was available. Still, there are days that it just looks absurd and pretentious to be using one. You can't blame the park, they're only doing what they ought to be doing to make money... Eh, whatever. Who's to say they aren't just rushing to catch their charter to Paris for their early dinner reservations at Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée?

I would pounce on a Lo-Q type system if it was available. Still, there are days that it just looks absurd and pretentious to be using one. You can't blame the park, they're only doing what they ought to be doing to make money...

I kinda *do* blame the park. A couple years ago at Six Flags Over Georgia, I was waiting in line to ride Georgia Cyclone and a guy and his daughter had a "platinum pass" so they got to ride the first seat 2 times in a row. I think they were only running one train. Either way, the park was dead. I told the guy, politely (after a ride operator nearly accosted me for moving towards that seat) that not only does the park diss me for making me have to wait extra time b/c he payed to cut, but also they dissed him b/c he clearly didn't need the pass that day.

They *could* do a sort of thing like "you really don't need this pass today..." on a slow day, but I digress... It's somehow OK to have low integrity for some big companies (and people, in general).

Again, I'm not totally downing the whole 'pay to cut' thing. There is a place for it - if implemented properly. In other words, it would be nice to see parks *first* get high capacity efficiencies, and then consider such a plan.

But with how the flash pass, atleast at the lowest level, works you don't know the wait time for when you load. When they reserved the ride it may have had an hour wait, but by the time they actually go to load it could be a walk on.

As for people using them on dead days, the person could have already bought it online, or they could be visiting a park for the first and only time and want to make sure they get on everything a lot.

Hit the park yesterday with our kids for the first time since my wife and I were kids and shortly after American Eagle opened...heat was tolerable, crowds were tolerable, day interrupted with lightning and rain for awhile but overall a great visit. Park is in very nice shape...such a great collection of flats and the theming in some areas remains outstanding...best themed drop tower I've seen although the ride was so so...

Highlights: X Flight was tremendous...no bad rides...line moved quickly and there is so much still to come with this type of coaster. One question/concern: One of the trains already has numerous seats closed/shut off...why is this??

Raging Bull was great and I can't say enough for the Ride Ops on this one as they were cranking out 3 cars the entire time (are you listening SFMM??)...line moved very quickly. Has the brake always been on the 2nd airtime hill??

Since it was overy 100, the Buccaneer Battle was a lot of fun...maybe because we've never been on one before but we all had a blast...and our kids are not young!

I was surprised at how much I liked Viper...I had really not heard that much about it and it had some great air time in the back.

American Eagle seemed to be running very well...we loved the rides in the back on both sides.

We all enjoyed Superman even though I know its not a fan favorite and its definitely no Tatsu...but again, the Ride Ops were cycling the trains pretty good early in the day...much better than I've ever seen at SFMM.

No real disappointments other than the jarring and unpleasant ride that Demon gives out...ugh...I can't even say anything too negative about the Dark Knight experience.

Spending a day at this park and last week at SFStl makes us realize that although we have a very nice collection of thrills at our home park of SFMM, sadly it sorely lacks in the overall experience and atmosphere that we had at either of the parks on our visit.

^No Whizzer?

Had a great time at the park tonight. Got there around 530 and rode:

Viper (front seat!) - running incredible, fast and smooth in the cooler temps/less humidity. I wish more PTC ratchet bars had the special *hook up* (return shocks) that this badboy does.

American Eagle - front seat - then nabbed the back seat as it was about to go out empty. Great as always, racing too! (Are you listening SFMM?)

Logger's Run... Yankee Clipper - so glad we still have these "70s classic" rides. I'll never get enough of these.

Demon - front seat. Great demonic fun, as always. They were running red and yellow trains, black is sitting in transfer waiting for a busy day.

Whizzer - front then nabbed back as it was about to go out empty. Like Viper, running like a "bat outta hell" after warming up all day, and in the cooler temps. This classic ride never gets old, aside from the slower operations and seat belts - running like it did when it opened in 1976 (are you listening SFMM???)

Dark Knight - 2x. This is probably the most aggressive ride in the park (along with Rajun Cajun).

The more I go to my home park, the more I'm grateful it's my home park. Had a blast with my buddy, did all that and had time for a pit stop at the Dairy Queen down the road.

Hi all! New to the forum here. It's been fun (and informative) reading this thread; I stumbled upon here while doing a little research for a trip down there next month

I haven't been to Great America since 1999, when Raging Bull was the new attraction. It's crazy to think about how much has changed in that time. It will be great to see the sights, old and new, and to have all those thrills once again!

So, I will be going there August 13 and 14 (Monday and Tuesday). It's about a 2.5 or 3 hour drive from where I live, so I'm going to head down Sunday night. I'm staying at the La Quinta Inn and Suites right near the parking lot, so I can walk to the park, saving $40 in parking those 2 days!

I got the Summer Thrill Pass or whatever it's called, since park admission is all I was really looking for. I know Twickets are long gone, so this was the next best thing.

My printer is out of ink, so i just opted for them to mail it.

Anyway, I'm counting the days already! I'll make sure to give a report when it's all said and done.

A couple questions:

1) Any thoughts on what the crowds might be like these days? (I realize weather is a huge factor)

2) Do I have to get the thrill pass processed or anything at the park, like a regular season pass?

3) Any opinions on a plan of action? Really, I'm all about the big coasters. I could ride them all day. But, I'll do some flats like Fiddler's Fling, Triple Play, and Orbit. For nostalgia's sake, Logger's Run is on my list as well

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

1) Any thoughts on what the crowds might be like these days? (I realize weather is a huge factor)

Busy. August is always slammed until school starts. Good thing the water park will be open, that keeps many peeps busy.

2) Do I have to get the thrill pass processed or anything at the park, like a regular season pass?

I would assume yes. You can do that in the Hometown Square season pass processing center. For more specific questions about your thrill pass, email the park.

3) Any opinions on a plan of action? Really, I'm all about the big coasters.

Yeah - American Eagle (in front seat) and Whizzer are *STILL* the most fun coasters at the park. Don't bother with Whizzer during the day. Wait until the last hour the park is open for a fast, dark ride under the trees. It's always faster at night after a long day of warming up, was faster than I ever remember it a couple days ago after 9pm.

I could ride them all day. But, I'll do some flats like Fiddler's Fling, Triple Play, and Orbit. For nostalgia's sake, Logger's Run is on my list as well

Good to hear! Fiddler's is out of control - but get to it early as it's one of the rides to shut down early if the crowds are slow over there. Don't forget the 2 log flumes - Yankee Clipper and Logger's Run. These types of rides are disappearing fast and these two are great, classic fun and the tallest 'old skool' log flumes that I know of.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I'm sure you want to check out X-Flight, so if you are up to running ahead of people when the ropes are dropped - by all means, do it first. Otherwise, wait until late in the day, the line goes down considerably. It's a great ride to watch, and fun in it's own right, but simply doesn't have staying power and this shows with the short queue late in the day.

"Screams and Dreams (Vol 2)" is playing in the Pictorium. It's a pretty good film, but Volume 1 is light years better:

(not best quality, but still stunning footage!)

Demon's first drop is the wickedest drop in the park - in back - but if you sit in back, the rest of the ride is rough. Front is much smoother and great visually on this cheesy classic

Gurnee Mills mall is right down the road and they have 2 HUGE food courts with lots to pick from. Not to mention all the stuff across the street (Culver's, McDonald's, Burger King, Golden Corral, pizza, etc, etc..) but the hidden goodie is the Dairy Queen about 2 miles down the road, right off Grand Avenue (it's on Old Grand Avenue) https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&q=dairy+queen+gurnee+illinois&fb=1&gl=us&hq=dairy+queen&hnear=0x880f8e01b2b811ed:0xdd57cb6f9dd18676,Gurnee,+IL&cid=0,0,13363342876437733227&ei=13b-T_iSKoWi2gXB6um3BA&ved=0CIABEPwSMAM&oi=local_group that's always a nice time out from the park! Hate to rag on the park, but the food is awful and prices are even worse.

Know that the ride ops at Great America are almost always OK if you re-ride in an empty seat on the next train. Just make sure no one is riding there before you jump in. This is especially helpful on rides with ridiculously long queues - like Viper, American Eagle, Superman and Raging Bull. Those B&M rides especially go out with plenty of empty seats on nearly every train.

Oh yeah, Viper is running like a bat outta hell these days. Airtime on every hill. Even in back. Late in the day, of course

Edited by GayCoasterGuy

^^ Glad to see the someone else has appreciation for some the older rides in the park. To many people rule them out as old and boring with out even riding them. The front row of Whizzer at 10 P.M. is still one of the best rides around.

^^^Wow! Thanks for the detailed and informative response!

I kinda figured it would be busy, and it's probably a good thing I decided to go 2 days instead of just 1. Next year I think I'll go in May or early June, when, from my understanding would be prime time for smaller crowds. This will be the first time going there solo, which I'm rather looking forward to.

I'll probably get some sort of info when I receive the pass in the mail. I would think they'd have some directions with it. If not, email it is!

I've never ridden in the front seat on Eagle, though I have ridden it many times back in the day (our family used to go almost every year). I'll definitely try to check that out. I've always liked the Whizzer, and will definitely take your suggestion about a night ride. I'm not sure how dark it'll be, since the park closes at 8pm those days. But perhaps I'll see if it feels faster than I remember.

I was a little disappointed to see the Lobster - er, East River Crawler not operating this year, as that was another flat I always enjoyed. It's good to see them doing the maintenance to keep it there though, as opposed to scrapping it. I haven't ridden Yankee Clipper much, maybe only once I can remember back in the mid-80's. As a kid with the family, my parents always preferred Logger's Run, as it was a wetter splash. There's just something about the look of those old flume ride tracks when you're walking through the park, definitely a nostalgia factor for me.

Since I haven't been there in so long, I have never ridden Superman, V2, or Dark Knight. The Dark Night doesn't really interest me, but I would like to ride the other 2. From what I read, Superman is a coaster most pass on, but I guess I would like to ride once, just for the different experience. X-Flight is definitely curious, and I'll take your tip and probably catch that one later in the day. Looking forward to hitting Raging Bull, Viper, Batman and Demon as well. I'll have to check out the front/rear seats and see the difference!

I probably won't do much outside of the park, but good to know there's a DQ nearby! I love me some DQ

I have an IHOP, Outback, and Cracker Barrel right outside the hotel, which is nice. There's a Joe's Crab Shack too, but as I'm allergic to shellfish, I can't say I'll head there LOL. I know how ridiculous the food and pricing thereof is in the park, and I'm sure it's even worse now

The empty seat re-ride thing is something I've never even thought of doing. Perhaps I'll get lucky there.

I actually believe they still do the Twicket deal, but don't call it that anymore.

After reading this, I did some checking and you might be right. The info was from 2002, but it was called MVP (Multiple Visit Pass).

It was $10 for the next day. Whether or not this is still around, who knows. I couldn't find anything current about it.

^I'm dissapointed about Lobster/ERC not being open this year, too. Trust me, I love that ride. But how cool of them to not only rehab it this year so it can run forever - but to post about it. I just think it could be ... Wildcat, Space Spiral, White Water Landing, Laser... Did I mention the hard to pull down lap bars on American Eagle and Viper? In fact, the Viper bars only go down to the same level an old buzz-bar goes down too, no further. Someone was really thinking when they installed that. Yup, I'm glad Great America is my home park (even if they put Six Flags in front of it!)

^Don't forget Little Dipper, too 2 years later, it still has not fully broken-in (the track gauge was built very tight - it also took Viper several years to completely loosen-up) and runs a bit slower than it did at Kiddie Land. The painfully slow operation aside, it is a beauty of a classic and looks GREAT near the first drop of Batman. Ride Little Dipper at end of day as lines are long as slooooow during peak hours. (I just realized I have suggested to ride nearly every ride at the end of the day... doh!)

Dark Knight and Ragin Cajun are the most aggressive rides in the park. Many regulars strongly dislike Ragin Cajun due to the 5-car-max and 3-adult-per-car-limit rules that make it a very slow line - even when it looks short. But I *LOVE* this ride - and it has a single rider line, too!

Just got back from another few night hours at the park. Did Eagle red - front seat (blue was down by 9pm), Demon front and back, Whizzer front and back, Raging Bull back (and jumped in an front seat and oddly was told I could *NOT* re-ride, but after I was out of the station past the turn-style, the ride op told me if I would have *asked* first he would have said yes... curious indeed...) all that and more in just a couple hours.

^Pretty sweet for just a couple hours! I wish I lived near where I could just go for a couple hours here and there.

Funny about the re-ride deal - I guess just make sure to ask first, eh? I would anyway.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those coasters...So, does the solo line move better on Ragin Cajun then, or is it still sluggish regardless? The Little Dipper didn't really stick out to me, but if it's convenient I'll give it a ride. I was also going to check out King Chaos, even though I've seen mixed reviews on it. Looks like fun to me!

In general, I don't mind having to wait for rides, I expect to. However, if it's over an hour I'll probably find something else and come back to it. This is another reason for the 2-day stay. It'll be nice being solo, as I've never been there til park close, ever. Whether it was with the family or with friends, they always pooped out by 5pm

^Pretty sweet for just a couple hours! I wish I lived near where I could just go for a couple hours here and there.

Funny about the re-ride deal - I guess just make sure to ask first, eh? I would anyway.

Or maybe not "To ask for permission is to ask for denial!" I mean, within reason... I do suggest following rules. The thing about this particular employee was that he later told me that some supervisors say "NO re-rides" other's say "sure" and everywhere in between. Great America is the shining star in the chain but still has plenty of room for improvement (communication, consistency, ride capacity efficiency)... Also they are now "The cleanest theme park in the world"! You will hear that blasted at the front gate.

I mean ... it could be worse.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those coasters...So, does the solo line move better on Ragin Cajun then, or is it still sluggish regardless?

Sometimes the single rider line is long, sometimes it's empty. The cool thing is it starts on the midway and goes directly into the station. It's only like 12 feet long. Single rider line is your friend!

I wish the B&M rides had single rider lines. Of course, then they would have to learn how to train an employee to manage that. Instead, they have an extra employee (who apparently are NOT even employed by the park but rather the flash pass company - however they still moderate stations and manage to send out plenty of entirely empty seats - you will see what I mean.) to manage the 'flash pass' riders. Note those flash pass employees will be there until the end! When the line is completely DEAD and American Eagle has gone down to one side - they will still be there. The Flash Pass folks MUST KNOW they are important and get special entrance, I guess. I don't understand... but whatever.

In general, I don't mind having to wait for rides, I expect to. However, if it's over an hour I'll probably find something else and come back to it. This is another reason for the 2-day stay. It'll be nice being solo, as I've never been there til park close, ever. Whether it was with the family or with friends, they always pooped out by 5pm

Humbug! The park gets good after 5pm!!! I try to stay away before then, myself. The heat, the sun beating down, the crowds... all gets better after 5pm. Plus - coasters start to peak after then, too! They are nice and warmed up!

I do suggest following rules. The thing about this particular employee was that he later told me that some supervisors say "NO re-rides" other's say "sure" and everywhere in between. Great America is the shining star in the chain but still has plenty of room for improvement (communication, consistency, ride capacity efficiency)... Also they are now "The cleanest theme park in the world"! You will hear that blasted at the front gate.

Yeah, I suppose there will always be inconsistency in that regard. The rules will be followed....I'm not one to seek out trouble LOL.

Ah yes, something else I forgot about...All those recorded announcements to hear over and over all day.

Sometimes the single rider line is long, sometimes it's empty. The cool thing is it starts on the midway and goes directly into the station. It's only like 12 feet long. Single rider line is your friend!

Cool, definitely looks worth checking out. It's nice that they have that option.

I wish the B&M rides had single rider lines. Of course, then they would have to learn how to train an employee to manage that. Instead, they have an extra employee (who apparently are NOT even employed by the park but rather the flash pass company - however they still moderate stations and manage to send out plenty of entirely empty seats - you will see what I mean.) to manage the 'flash pass' riders. Note those flash pass employees will be there until the end! When the line is completely DEAD and American Eagle has gone down to one side - they will still be there. The Flash Pass folks MUST KNOW they are important and get special entrance, I guess. I don't understand... but whatever.

Another thing I forgot about...The Flash Pass. Ugh. I suppose I see where people would want to use it. To me, I say everyone should just wait their turn the same as everyone else. I realize it's also the financial aspect from the Park's point of view, an extra revenue stream for them. I couldn't justify the cost. I'll wait my turn.

Humbug! The park gets good after 5pm!!! I try to stay away before then, myself. The heat, the sun beating down, the crowds... all gets better after 5pm. Plus - coasters start to peak after then, too! They are nice and warmed up!

I remember when I was young (yet tall enough for the coasters) throwing a fit because we had to leave early. I was always ready to keep on going. Ah well, it won't be a problem this time

Ah yes, something else I forgot about...All those recorded announcements to hear over and over all day.

I keep a couple high-quality Bounty paper towels in my pocket (select-a-size, to boot!). When I can't bare it anymore, I go in the bathroom, wet one and fashion a temporary ear plug. It's done wonders for my anxiety, too.

It's odd they blame the guests for not following rules; how can you follow rules when you can't hear anything due to so much music, etc blasting in your face? On many rides (Demon comes to mind) there is an automated recording when a train comes in the station. While that is playing, the ride op starts to speak. It's a mess. Add to that the Demon Theme is playing just out side the station as well. I LOVE that they play that continuously now, but it unfortunately adds to the chaos of the station. Same thing in various areas of the park; "I like to move it" blasting LOUD, game employees yelling LOUD, and all those silly recordings.

A friend of mine commented a couple years ago about all that annoying extra noise and we discussed what we grew up knowing to be the "sounds of the amusement park" - namely - RIDES! Screams and yells... some soft carousel music, etc.

Good thing they finally backed off on the "I like to move it" song. AND I've noticed many park employees have stopped saying "Have a Six Flags Day!" .... The powers that be must have finally clued into how annoying and even offensive that is... or the employees are being a bit rebellious.

For some reason, Great America seems to be getting better and better all-around. Either changes are really happening or I've had some of spiritual awakening or something.... (or maybe it's cuz I stopped taking my meds? You decide...)

I've got a question about Yankee Clipper. When in the season does it operate? Great America is my home park and I get there about three times a year, but it's always early summer or FrightFest. Does it only operate late summer, or not at all? I've never seen it operate or even filled with water every time I've been there, although Logger's Run is usually open.

I keep a couple high-quality Bounty paper towels in my pocket (select-a-size, to boot!). When I can't bare it anymore, I go in the bathroom, wet one and fashion a temporary ear plug. It's done wonders for my anxiety, too.

Hmmm...I think I'll be taking a few packs of earplugs from work before I leave

Yeah, my memories are of the sounds of rides, screams, and carnival-type music myself. The unique sound of the Whizzer, the motors of Sky Whirl, the clank-clank-clank sound of Eagle's lift hill...And of course, the announcements as you go through the queues.

It's great to hear that the Demon music is playing, I don't recall it being played the last few times I was there. I remember as a kid thinking how cheesy it was; now I can appreciate it as nostalgia.

For some reason, Great America seems to be getting better and better all-around. Either changes are really happening or I've had some of spiritual awakening or something.... (or maybe it's cuz I stopped taking my meds? You decide...)

Maybe it's both????

Yankee Clipper's season starts on Memorial Day weekend, but on days when they don't need both flumes open they only open Loggers.

I'm hoping they have both flumes going. It's been over 25 years since I have ridden Yankee Clipper!

I think I am actually going to leave to drive down earlier on Sunday. Check in to the hotel around 3 or 3:30 then hit the park. Hell, I got the pass, I may as well use it! The park is still open until 10pm that day, so I could get an extra 6 hours in. Plus, I could check out some rides after dark - something I don't think I've ever had the chance to do

Good thing they finally backed off on the "I like to move it" song. AND I've noticed many park employees have stopped saying "Have a Six Flags Day!" .... The powers that be must have finally clued into how annoying and even offensive that is... or the employees are being a bit rebellious.

They stopped playing "I like to move it"? THANK GOD!!!! I love Madagascar 2 but that song is dang annoying.

The one they play in the X-Flight station is especially awful. I would rather hear Gilbert Gottfried reading the safety spiel on the PA with the volume set to 10.