TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I just find it pretty neat that they are putting some effort into theming their rides latelly.

Six Flags as a whole is taking steps to be come better at the little things. Congrats to them.

[not to mention I'm glad lockers are not mandatory anymore ]

SIX FLAGS REVEALS PLANS TO REFURBISH AMERICAN EAGLE ROLLER COASTER

Associated Press

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE MARCH 31, 2012

GURNEE, Illinois

The iconic 31 year old wooden roller coaster at Great America is going to be receiving a major facelift for the 2013 season.

Today Six Flags released details to fully refurbish the ride, including a fresh coat of white, red, and blue paint, four new trains, new wooden track, and rethemed loading station.

The track and train refurbishment has been contracted to "The Gravity Group," a Cincinnati based engineering company that designs and builds wooden roller coasters. The new trains, which will be hand painted with distinctly red white and blue with stripes, are dubbed "Timberliners."

The Timberliner trains are the newest in wooden roller coaster technology. Unlike traditional trains that have a fixed wheel system, the Timberliners are designed with the ability for the wheel assembly's to steer along with the the track bends providing a smoother ride and reduced maintenance needs. The new trains will also increase the rides capacity because the new lapbar system eliminates the need for seatbelts.

"We wanted to create a smoother and more comfortable ride without compromising the rides unique wooden coaster characteristics," said Salami, the President of Six Flags Illinois. The American Eagle was the world's tallest and fastest roller coaster when it opened in 1981 and is still the world's tallest and fastest racing coaster.

In order to meet the opening deadline of Spring 2013, the Eagle will close after Labor Day this season and will remain closed throughout the fall.

This is GREAT news!! Hopefully the same thing can happen with Colossus at SFMM. I'm happy Six Flags as a whole is now putting more attention into maintaining their classic wooden coasters.

Look at the date

I know, I'm just playing around, continuing the fun!

SIX FLAGS REVEALS PLANS TO REFURBISH AMERICAN EAGLE ROLLER COASTER

Associated Press

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE MARCH 31, 2012

GURNEE, Illinois

The iconic 31 year old wooden roller coaster at Great America is going to be receiving a major facelift for the 2013 season.

Today Six Flags released details to fully refurbish the ride, including a fresh coat of white, red, and blue paint, four new trains, new wooden track, and rethemed loading station.

The track and train refurbishment has been contracted to "The Gravity Group," a Cincinnati based engineering company that designs and builds wooden roller coasters. The new trains, which will be hand painted with distinctly red white and blue with stripes, are dubbed "Timberliners."

The Timberliner trains are the newest in wooden roller coaster technology. Unlike traditional trains that have a fixed wheel system, the Timberliners are designed with the ability for the wheel assembly's to steer along with the the track bends providing a smoother ride and reduced maintenance needs. The new trains will also increase the rides capacity because the new lapbar system eliminates the need for seatbelts.

"We wanted to create a smoother and more comfortable ride without compromising the rides unique wooden coaster characteristics," said Salami, the President of Six Flags Illinois. The American Eagle was the world's tallest and fastest roller coaster when it opened in 1981 and is still the world's tallest and fastest racing coaster.

In order to meet the opening deadline of Spring 2013, the Eagle will close after Labor Day this season and will remain closed throughout the fall.

Do you have a link to the real Press Release. Sounds very fishy that someone would post this on April 1st.

The train covers could very well go on after the trains are on the track. I'd imagine with all the wires and electrical boxes on the trains, they'd want that all covered to insure guests don't mess with anything, and to help protect them more from bad weather.

Edit: Someone asked about the trains on Twitter and they said they will have covers very similar to those in the concept art.

What's funny about the construction of this ride to me is how many people on the coaster sites are "freaking out" over the theming being put in, the trains having the covers on them, the water element being added, and the opening date. Is it because the park hasn't got a major coaster since 2003? I just don't remember all the hoopla back then worrying about everything. Maybe it's because there are a lot more people on the net now or something?

^ Probably because now all the stages of a coaster's construction are much more transparent than they were 9 years ago (I doubt people devoted quite as much time to analyzing pictures of dirt as we do now). Nowadays is much easier to see the steps between the trains getting there and the covers being put on, and so I guess much easier to assume that 'something is wrong with the covers' and 'that's not the way it was in the B-Roll', etc.

At least, that's my two cents on it.

EDIT: I thought of a fairly non-stupid analogy. Which would be more stressful: Seeing a fully-built house of cards, or being able to watch someone painstakingly build that house of cards?