TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

2) If you paid electric bills around here, you'd know there's no way it's $1/per launch.

Or if you pay electric bills anywhere on Earth. The launch needs an enormous amount of power to send that several-ton train back and forth and get it up to 70 mph.

I could see TTD or Kingda Ka having some sort of $ amount attached to it, as a lot was made out of their power plant(s) etc.

On the contrary, the hydraulic launchers require less energy for the launch. The large amount of energy you may be referring to is created by the hydraulic motor. I ran into this earlier-

Equally amazing is the low power consumption of the drive system - the immense power of the catapult launch lets one to assume differently. Only the almost continuously working hydraulic pump stresses the power supply system. It has a power consumption of just 150 kilowatts (150.000 watts) - less than most electric motors of larger chain lifts -, but this is enough to increase the pressure inside the nitrogen to 300 bar within about one minute. The energy stored that way is transformed in just two seconds during the catapult launch - the hydraulic motors provide about 3 megawatts (3 million watts) during this period - enough to accelerate the 8 ton train from stand to 75km/h.

http://www.coastersandmore.de/rides/kanonen/kanonen_eng.shtml

Kingda Ka or Dragster probably need more than Kanonen, but I can't see it being dramatically more.

Ah, ok, good points on KK and TTD! Guess that makes sense.

Glad I'm not alone in my eye rolling around the "I don't have any idea, but _____________"! It's crazy. Then to use "non disclosure" as your excuse for lack of backup/more details! Gotta love the Intraweb!

Curious to see footage of the train going past both the new X-Flight area AND the old Iron Wolf area. Wonder if the train will be up and running (and re-routed?) when the park opens? Seems like this would be as good a time as any to ditch the train, I certainly hope they haven't been looking for that excuse!

It's actually HILARIOUS that everyone continues to say I'm "ass talking." When V2 is removed, then maybe you will learn to take people seriously and not make a joke of everything. If you choose not to believe me, then I guess you choose not to believe that I was the original person to post

No sweat though, Rip me to invisible bits on the internet, I'm sure that'll make you feel better about yourselves.

It's actually HILARIOUS that everyone continues to say I'm "A$$ talking." When V2 is removed, then maybe you will learn to take people seriously and not make a joke of everything.

Well of course its likely it happens some time down the line.

It's just the way that you asserted your "facts" which really did not have much behind them and that were a bit off kilter.

But eh, I wont bitch anymore

No sweat though, Rip me to invisible bits on the internet, I'm sure that'll make you feel better about yourselves.

If it really makes you feel special to know all of this (pointless) information, then good for you. I just hope you know that there really is life off of the internet...

Just a heads up to anyone going on X Flights opening day (May 12), according to

the ride will only be open to season pass holders. This is the first I've heard of this, so I'm not sure if it's for sure or if he was thinking of the XTreme pass holder ERT on that day, but just something to keep in mind if you don't have a pass.

the ride will only be open to season pass holders. This is the first I've heard of this, so I'm not sure if it's for sure or if he was thinking of the XTreme pass holder ERT on that day, but just something to keep in mind if you don't have a pass.

That would be insane! Would drive down just for some rides that first weekend.

By the looks of it, maybe regular season passes only? But the fact that he said "open to the public on May 15" almost makes it sound like they do mean X-Treme passes only. Hmm..

Maybe after the Xtreme pass holder ERT it will open but you have to show a pass to ride? I just find it kind of odd that this is the first I've heard anything like this, as you'd think the park would want to tell people if it won't really be open to everyone on May 12.

^ Nope, don't know that. In fact, not sure if Six Flags themselves even have an accurate number on that. I'd say a dollar a launch is reasonable.

Liftsifter thanks for answering this question as best you could. I directed it at you, because these teenage know it alls have no clue, and to me you clearly have knowledge of V2. I Know it is a very difficult question to answer.

Wait, what? He says he has no idea but then offers up a "$1 per launch" guess and you appreciate that? Wish my curiosity was as easily satiated!

They better nail down exactly "who" gets to ride the ride on May 12th, and get it out there on their site/FB page etc. I assume most folks interested enough to follow along via social media and the web are season pass holders, but I could definitely see some portion of people hearing about it and making that day their one day at the park---then ultimately being pretty upset when they are turned away from lining up.

V2 has recieved two new trains, and heavy overhauls in the past.

I'm curious about what it is on V2 that would cause it to go through trains more than any other coaster (and why the trains would be more expensive). In fact isn't it pretty rare that a coaster has an entire train replaced? Since V2 has no turns, and not-terribly-extreme forces, I'm surprised to hear that the train falls apart so rapidly that is has needed to be completely replaced twice in just 10 years (rather than yearly maintenance).

Cameron.

Wait, what? He says he has no idea but then offers up a "$1 per launch" guess and you appreciate that? Wish my curiosity was as easily satiated

He gave the best number he could at the time. Do you have anything better?

It's actually HILARIOUS that everyone continues to say I'm "A$$ talking." When V2 is removed, then maybe you will learn to take people seriously and not make a joke of everything. If you choose not to believe me, then I guess you choose not to believe that I was the original person to post

History is against you. There's always a "in the know" person that suddenly pops up claiming NDA, insider info, blah, blah, blah, and nothing ever comes of it. I've dealt with enough people at SFGAm through Media Days, to know you're presenting a pretty unlikely picture. And presenting $1 a launch, made you lose all credibility in my book. That's just absurd, even for a shoot from the hip number. I don't think I can run a lightbulb for that anymore.

Wait, what? He says he has no idea but then offers up a "$1 per launch" guess and you appreciate that? Wish my curiosity was as easily satiated

He gave the best number he could at the time. Do you have anything better?

An actual educated guess would help.

Edited by mcjaco