TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

The swarms roll rotates the opposite way, so I'm guessing if they started the drop the same way there would be much more lateral force on riders, because of it having to go in the opposite direction, causing more banking in the drop. (If that makes sense) So I'm guessing they wanted to do all of the 180º banking on Swarm before the drop to make a smoother transition to the rest of the ride.

Would it Be Wrong if SFGAm advertised this coaster as "The One where No test dummies lost Limbs"?

"The safest winged-coaster on the planet."

There are like 11 people in the state that would understand the reference. It would fly over everyone else's head, and they would take that claim at face value. I can just see a group of friends seeing that sign while waiting inline, and then the attention seeker (every group has one of these) fabricates a story with restraints popping open on the loop the loop*, explosions, and lightning strikes that electrocuted everyone riding.

*In this instance it would refer to the drop off the lift (besides, any and every inversion is a loop de loop. duh)

"Safest" isn't a word that I would use to advertise a new coaster- or anything else in the park for that matter. It implies that this is an achievement worth noting, and not a norm that should go without saying. People would conclude that there are "less safe" Wing Coasters out there. The brighter ones may even come to the realization that hey, wait a minute...If the other ones keep crashing and exploding, then what's stopping this one from doing exploding and crashing...

Do you guys noticed that the drop here is not shaped the same way as The Swarm's one? (Sorry if it has been already said before, I didn't read the entire topic)

*Img

*Img

The drop starts earlier in the roll, which means less hangtime. Better or not?

Looks like the X-Flight drop is lower, maybe that has something to do whit the drops being different. Ass the swarm can complete the twist completed before entering the half loop that from X-Flight is ending in the half looping. My theory is that if they completed the half twist like they did whit swarm the half looping would be sharp, what could have lead that the car wouldn't make it or the forces would be to high. The Swarm was high enough to make a complete half twist on top before would make the drop.

That the twist is opposite could be for the feeling thats what I think.

This is my theory about the different drops, of course I don't know it for sure. So I based this on thinks I noticed right away and thought of why these differences where there.

^ There's more difference between the two drops than just that they go opposite ways. As for the holding break, I doubt it'll be fixed. Seems like the general consensus is that the ride is better without it anyways.

The park posted this great photo on Twitter, great to see more ground level shots.

Ana_GSOCEAEHZ79.jpg

Link

And there's the giant roll from the SketchUp drawing.

The drop could twist and dive differently for plenty of reasons. Height probably has something to do with it not twisting fully in the opposite direction like The Swarm, and space might have something to do with it diving sooner. Or maybe B&M just decided to try two different types of these dive loop drops - one that hangs you upside down, and one that dives straight in and gets going sooner. Who knows.

Is it just me but does this ride look short in duration? I bought a ticket to Chicago to go and ride this thing this June and it looks like a lame 30 sec ride with minimal speed. Doesn't look worth standing in line for now. SHOOT, I rather had gone to Great America and Hershey,

Its the angle at which you are looking at the track in that photo combined with the direction of the roll... thats why it looks different to the eye. Still same kind of element.. I'm sure you will see once the pov comes that their the same besides the different direction.

Is it just me but does this ride look short in duration? I bought a ticket to Chicago to go and ride this thing this June and it looks like a lame 30 sec ride with minimal speed. Doesn't look worth standing in line for now. SHOOT, I rather had gone to Great America and Hershey,

Judging by the computer animated POV (which is obviously accurate down to the nano second), it should be about 1 minute and 10 seconds.

I'm really interested in hearing opinions from people that have ridden Swarm/Wild Eagle compared to this. Looks like I'm going to be getting to Great America this summer but not Dollywood. I know Canada's Wonderland was eying this coaster concept as well...

I think I like swarms drop better. It looks like a more complete rotation.

I'm really interested in hearing opinions from people that have ridden Swarm/Wild Eagle compared to this. Looks like I'm going to be getting to Great America this summer but not Dollywood. I know Canada's Wonderland was eying this coaster concept as well...

A wingrider would have been a better choice for Wonderland. Leviathan seems like a bad $28 million investment.

Anyone think there is the possibility of X Flight becoming a true 4D, maybe 5-7 years from now? I would have to believe there was discussion about this in the design process.

They are not different(other than direction)! There solved it! So anyone think that they have fixed V2s Holding Drop! Been down since 2008, the year I worked it.

I can't see V2's holding brake ever getting fixed. This ride may not even be here in a couple of years.

I still wish I knew what happened to the holding drop. I was at work and it was working just fine, the next day i had the day off, I remember there being a storm that day, I came to work the next day after being off and my ride was down. All kinds of stuff program stuff was messed up and they said it had been struck by lightning and had to program the ride to bypass the holding brake because it wasn't functioning properly and caused the ride to fault every time they tested it that morning.

Whenever this is discussed, I always come away feeling like nobody knows the real story. I could swear I heard a rumor a couple years back that they were going to repair it, but nowadays I doubt it.

I think the holding brake adds an extra thrill to these rides, and I wish it would return.

55 max mph will feel decently fast when you're on it. Batman the Ride is the same speed, and that one feels like it's really flying. All the wing riders are fairly short. So is B:TR, but that one is one of the best coasters in the park. Might as well find out what it's like for yourself.

^ Last time checked when the holding brake was used the forces where causing slight structural damage to the ride and Six flags stopped using it in order to avoid any future problems. Or at least that is the rumor that I heard.

Pretty sure Intamin actually advised all parks to stop using the holding break and prevent structural damage, but I could be wrong.

^ That can't be... the holding break is still used on Possessed and Steel Venom. Possessed is technically older than V2. I was just riding it in October. I was the lead in charge of the ride the season we stopped using it. I saw the engineering talking about by passing the rear holding break to prevent the ride from faulting as it was that morning after the storm. That day V2 opened up late. I didn't come to work the day after the storm and hear maintenence talking about structural problems. Intamin added extra support on the spikes years prior and that hasn't created any additional structural problems that I'm aware. I'm pretty sure its more the cost of replacing lims on the spike and the hardware you've to bring in to install them (need a tall crane) vs structural.