TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Ten years ago, I visited Six Flags Great America and had a rough visit. The year was 2001, I was on the second week into my road trip, and the driving was H,E,(double hockey sticks. I arrived at the park late, only got to stay seven hours, and rode several coasters once and a few flat rides (Yep, it was also very crowded that day).

But in 2012, I shall be returning to that park with one thing on my mind, REVENGE!!! This time, I won't be spending a few hours, but several days. I'll make sure I'll get plenty of rides in before I go. And as for the X-flight - "Bring it on!"

"Hey, if you miss me while you're on vacation, don't cry on another pillow!"

They've improved their operations alot since. Especially since Hurricane Harbor opened.

Ten years ago, I visited Six Flags Great America and had a rough visit. The year was 2001...

They've improved their operations alot since. Especially since Hurricane Harbor opened.

I thought 2001/2002 were the last great seasons this park has had. 2011 at last seemed to show progress, despite the removal of one of my longtime favorites. I doubt I would have even visited this past year if it weren't for Iron Wolf leaving.

Although I will admit that Wild Eagle is much more intriguing to me than this wing-rider, I have to say that X-Flight still looks really good! I do love the inversion into first drop moment right off the bat. And I think it is a nice addition to an already well-rounded coaster lineup! Add to that the fact that they also were able to ditch that waste of steel called Iron Wolf? Well, that's just a lovely bonus, as the Wolf of Iron was easily the worst coaster in the park when I visited back in 2008.

And I think it is a nice addition to an already well-rounded coaster lineup! Add to that the fact that they also were able to ditch that waste of steel called Iron Wolf? Well, that's just a lovely bonus, as the Wolf of Iron was easily the worst coaster in the park when I visited back in 2008.

The unfortunate thing about the loss of Iron Wolf is that it was one of only two steel coasters that doesn't lull you to sleep at this park. Batman is the other one.

I'm excited that another B&M coaster is "replacing" Iron Wolf, but I'm also wary of it, because the last new B&M here (2003) takes up as much space as a 170 foot, 7 inversion mega-looper did, but gives you the same ride experience as Columbia Carousel, which takes up considerably less space and cost many millions less.

I'm very interested to see how this coaster works out, and to hear the reviews. As much as I was hoping to see other SF parks get their own version of X2 or their own 4D coasters, I am taking a guess that parks that might have wanted a 4D coaster in the past will get a Wing Rider instead. What gives me the impression is the similarities in the branding of this ride and X2 (similar logo, track colors, and even the same music in the video).

I'm also curious what the maximum rider height will be on this one; I know Wild Eagle is minimum height of 50" and a maximum height of 78" but I am curious to see what the Six Flags restrictions are.

I'm very interested to see how this coaster works out, and to hear the reviews. As much as I was hoping to see other SF parks get their own version of X2 or their own 4D coasters, I am taking a guess that parks that might have wanted a 4D coaster in the past will get a Wing Rider instead..

Seems likely. Similar concept that costs less and comes with none of the trouble that came with X. I'd love to see more S&S/Arrow 4Ds stateside, but I don't see Six Flags (or Cedar Fair for that matter) taking that risk.