TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

No, ours rolls the opposite of the Swarm. Swarm rolls left, Xflight rolls right (as seen in the webcam or pics/vid I posted in links). The support that appears to be under the lift will be the ZeroG. & heres this video by Rob Cassiere again:

That picture does make the support for the zero g is on the opposite side of the lift, a little deceiving.

This may have been discussed already but... Why did they take out Iron Wolf? I had been under the assumption it was to make room for X-Flight but if what I'm seeing is correct they are building X-Flight near Demon where the old Shoot the Chutes ride was and not really near where Iron Wolf was (I haven't been to the park in a while so I may be off here). Was IW just kind of a "get that POS out of here while we are building a new coaster so it doesn't look like we are losing a ride" sort of thing?

That picture does make the support for the zero g is on the opposite side of the lift, a little deceiving.

This may have been discussed already but... Why did they take out Iron Wolf? I had been under the assumption it was to make room for X-Flight but if what I'm seeing is correct they are building X-Flight near Demon where the old Shoot the Chutes ride was and not really near where Iron Wolf was (I haven't been to the park in a while so I may be off here). Was IW just kind of a "get that POS out of here while we are building a new coaster so it doesn't look like we are losing a ride" sort of thing?

Iron Wolf just wasn't as big of a draw anymore. I think it was too intense for most people. Mix that in with what appears to be a revitalized ride-exchange program, the maintenance a 20+ year old coaster requires, and you have an empty spot on the map. I'm looking forward to X-Flight, but will miss having a B&M standup in the park. Nothing else really matches the intensity those things provide.

Another reason that makes sense to me is that Chang was going to come to GAm last year. I assume the two would have operated at the same time for a year (this past season), and Wolf would have closed down around Labor Day weekend to be shipped off somewhere else. So, Chang for 2011, nothing (maybe the HH expansion the park got this year) for 2012, and a glorified kiddie coaster (Eurofighter) to take Wolf's spot in 2013. Or another mouse coaster. GAm seems to have a thing for them.

^ I literally laughed out loud when I read the Mouse comment. I had joked that they would send SFDK's Big Spin to SFGAm since they hadn't gotten a mouse in at least 3 years.

I sadly never rode Iron Wolf both times I was at SFGAm since I only did half days there on my way to CP from California. I would have like to try it out. And I just went to SFA last year and probably won't be back for a few years. I know it had a bad rep but it was still an important part of coaster history.

Can't wait for X-Flight! I have been to SFGAm tons of times, it's where I rode my first loop, The Demon. Sad to hear the brought down Deja Vu a couple years back but still it is a great park. I am going there this summer so I can't wait to go on it. Still haven't been on Raging Bull so I'll be on that as well. I always love going to SFGAm.

I don't know why but out of all of the wing riders being built this one excites me the least, I'm sure it will be a great ride I'm just afraid Six Flags will ruin it somehow.

Pretty sure you just answered your own question there. Thorpe Park and Dollywood definitely have more going for them with theming and location respectively. It's still a Wing Rider though, and for that, there should be reason to be excited

If I didn't live 15 minutes from the park, I'd appreciate seeing any pictures. There was a nice closer shot from Washington St. Rob posted that wasn't in this bunch. Any progress being shown just gets me more excited!

Wow so much negativity, damn. No, I am not the wonderful man & I say that cause for those of us who dont get to see all this progress in person, he allows us to, so I am thankful for it. Its an exciting view for me, we have a new skyline. That area was obviously empty before so to see these photos makes me happy my park is expanding with a great new addition.

As for that article that came out a couple days ago, very exciting! I know SFGAm always goes a level up in comparison to the other parks in the chain. I was hoping there would be more to the ride & I knew there had to be so again, I'm thankful! I have a feeling there will be a plane somewhere too...