TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

^ If you're going to accuse me of not reading, you had darn well better read the post yourself. He said RARELY, not never. And since you've decided we can play the age card, I would think a 36 year old would be better at reading than a 23 year old

Very rarely did the third train run

And although it is possible that there was a third train, it seems weird that it was never seen in recent years. On Whizzer and Eagle, the other coasters that have extra trains, the trains are rotated every few years to give them more time for rehab. Iron Wolf on the other hand has been running Train 1 and Train 2 for as long as I can remember.

^ If you're going to accuse me of not reading, you had darn well better read the post yourself. He said RARELY, not never. And since you've decided we can play the age card, I would think a 36 year old would be better at reading than a 23 year old

And being a jackass to other posters, and a mod, is grounds for a ban. Keep it up.

Edited by mcjaco

I wish I had a picture of Iron Wolf with 3 trains on it but I don't. Matt is my witness. People you have to remember I worked at the park for 5 years 91-96 so I know these things. I still know a couple of managers. 91 I worked in games, 92-93 I worked Iron Wolf and Batman. 94 Rolling Thunder and Whizzer. 95 Viper. 96 Shockwave and Batman. When Iron Wolf did operate with 3 trains the first train had to be out of the corkscrew before dispatching the second train, there was some stacking. Like I said very rearly, only when it was really busy in the park did it run 3 trains. Don't forget that Batman also had 3 trains the year it opened, it ran all 3 trains that first year. I'm not sure about the next year. I know 94 to 96 the third train stayed on the transfer most of the time. The only time the third was used is if some thing was wrong with the first and second trains.

On a side note. I'm really happy for the park to be getting X-Flight, their are not alot the these B&M Wing Riders around so this a huge plus for the park. Hopefully the people that were bitching about not having a major coaster since Superman in 2003 will shut up.

I'm really excited for X-Flight

Matt thank for backing me up.

Ah, you did know what you were talking about! It pays to check whatever location someone has under their avatar - keeps you from looking like an [censored]hole too!

That's very interesting. It really makes me wonder why that section of track wasn't used as a mid-course brake to begin with. Even though it wouldn't be running three trains, with that block there you can make dispatch intervals even between two.

Back on topic - I don't know why, but I absolutely love X-flight's shade of red.

I wish I had a picture of Iron Wolf with 3 trains on it but I don't. Matt is my witness. People you have to remember I worked at the park for 5 years 91-96 so I know these things. I still know a couple of managers. 91 I worked in games, 92-93 I worked Iron Wolf and Batman. 94 Rolling Thunder and Whizzer. 95 Viper. 96 Shockwave and Batman. When Iron Wolf did operate with 3 trains the first train had to be out of the corkscrew before dispatching the second train, there was some stacking. Like I said very rearly, only when it was really busy in the park did it run 3 trains. Don't forget that Batman also had 3 trains the year it opened, it ran all 3 trains that first year. I'm not sure about the next year. I know 94 to 96 the third train stayed on the transfer most of the time. The only time the third was used is if some thing was wrong with the first and second trains.

On a side note. I'm really happy for the park to be getting X-Flight, their are not alot the these B&M Wing Riders around so this a huge plus for the park. Hopefully the people that were bitching about not having a major coaster since Superman in 2003 will shut up.

I'm really excited for X-Flight

Matt thank for backing me up.

No problem.

And I remember the three trains on IW, so I knew you were right. I always like how they reused the dip idea out of the station into the lift, just like Z Force.

I don't remember the three on Batman, but I didn't pay too much attention to that ride. Although I did drive up opening day after classes let out, processed my season pass, and ran to get in the three hour line to ride it. Man did I get a whoopin' that night!

Sadly neither Iron Wolf or Batman have ever had three trains on the ride course simultaneously. Iron Wolf opened with 2 trains and that's all it has ever had, Batman has run 4 different trains on its tracks in its lifetime, but that's a whole different story. The section of track that was in question is a space made available to add a trim brake if necessary, but it was never added. Many B&M's have a section of track designed to allow the addition of a Trim with minimal modifications in the future should they have to. Also, B&M advises that when trains will not be moving for long periods of time on IW that they be moved off the track and onto the storage track to prevent "flat spots" on the wheels which would make storing them on the mainline impractical. Iron Wolf and Batman have not ever had the required number of blocks to offer adequate and safe breaking distances for three trains. Hope this clears up some of the confusion!

Edited by sfga2008

No problem.

And I remember the three trains on IW, so I knew you were right. I always like how they reused the dip idea out of the station into the lift, just like Z Force.

I don't remember the three on Batman, but I didn't pay too much attention to that ride. Although I did drive up opening day after classes let out, processed my season pass, and ran to get in the three hour line to ride it. Man did I get a whoopin' that night!

I'm sure you did.

It's amazing that both of those roller coasters fit in that location, then again look were they put Batman. The lines for Batman when it opened were insane. The longest I can remember was 4 1/2 hours, I love that ride but I cant imagine waiting that long now, hell I will not wait 1 hour for it now. So many people were completely freaked out by the seats being below the track.

I still miss the Shockwave, it was my first looper. I still remember the year it opened.

omfg you just now getting the track and dollywood is done with the LOOP!!!!!!!!!! STEP IT UP

Hahah six flags isn't exactly as wholesome and dedicated as Dollywood, no question about that. But you have to remember they had to remove iron wolf + the footers and everything, and Dollywood is just building anew. thats why construction hasn't started yet!

But you have to remember they had to remove iron wolf + the footers and everything, and Dollywood is just building anew. thats why construction hasn't started yet!

Iron Wolf hasn't really held up X Flights construction, as X Flight isn't going in the same spot. And Iron Wolfs footers are still there, just broken up.

X Flight is actually moving along well considering they had to clear the land of the Splash Water Falls leftovers, GAR leftovers, and clear a good chunk of the midway containing an arcade, boats, cars and a caricatures tent, and of course have the project of removing Iron Wolf. They already have some footers poured, and with track already arriving they're moving at a fine pace. And remember, they have an extra two months to build compared to Dollywood since the projected opening day is Memorial Day weekend, (which the park confirmed on Facebook tonight).

Went to Fright Fest today and I had a good time. The park was the most crowded I've seen it in a while, we didn't even get on a rollercoaster and only got on a few flats including Terror Twister, which was amazing. The park looked nice and definently better than last year, but I wouldn't say it's any scarier this year. The entire X-Flight area is all torn up and fenced off, you can see it from all around the area, I never realized how close it will be to the Demon. Iron Wolf is missing its loop and everything from the drop into the corkscrew and on. All in all it was a good night and will be coming back next weekend.

omfg you just now getting the track and dollywood is done with the LOOP!!!!!!!!!! STEP IT UP

Hahah six flags isn't exactly as wholesome and dedicated as Dollywood, no question about that. But you have to remember they had to remove iron wolf + the footers and everything, and Dollywood is just building anew. thats why construction hasn't started yet!

Dollywood had to not only clear but work around trees...all on a hill. It's not like they just went out there one day and start drilling holes for footers. But they did start the process very early in the season...

Went to SFGam today with my daughter, a friend of hers, and the friend's dad.

Got a decent amount of rides in about 5 hours -- we saw "Love at First Fright", Whizzer, Orbit, Demon, Eagle x2, Ragin Cajun, Bumper Cars, and Terror Twister.

Terror Twister's line was what caused our day to go craptacular. As we were getting close to getting in (about 40+ minutes of waiting) a girl (mid-upper teens) was trying to line jump, we told he that it was not permitted by park rules. As I had my back turned to the front of the line, I was pushed aside by her father who told me she was with him and that he was bringing her back to his spot in line. I also told him about line jumping - he told me to deal with it, it is only one person. I said, "Fine - I will just tell the ride op about it."

When we got up to the ride op, I told her about the line jumping and the fact that the father pushed me. She went to their teacup, and (what a surprise) they denied she line jumped and denied that he pushed me. I insisted it happened and I wanted security to deal with the situation.

When our ride cycle ended, about five security people were there and they pulled us to one side and the line jumper and family to the other side. As we were talking, two Gurnee police also showed up. I (and my friend) told what happened to the security guard (twice) and then repeated it a third time to the officer.

Then the officer went over to the other group, spoke with them and came back to us. He said that they admitted that the girl left the line, came back through the line, and that the father 'nudged' me out of the way to get his daughter. I told the officer that it was more than a nudge and that I admit it while it was not assault it, along with the line jumping are against the rules of the park and they should be removed from the park. He said that decision is for the park to make.

He went back to the security officers, spoke with them and then I saw security tell the family to go. Then security came back to us and told us that they said we used the F-word when we were speaking to them and, as such, we were going to have to leave the park for the day. My friend then said we didn't swear, at which point both my daughter and her friend hopped up and said we didn't swear. I then said, "So..what you're telling me is line jumping AND physically pushing another patron is fine and to get away with it, you just need to allege the other person swore at you?"

She responded, "I cannot comment on that sir, but you will have to leave the park immediately."

I said, "Fine, we were actually planning on leaving for the day, anyhow. But I am shocked that we are being made to leave when they just accuse me of swearing and they admitted to line jumping and pushing me...but whatever, let's go." (We were planning on leaving anyhow.)

So -- the moral to the story? 1--Don't report line jumpers, they can get away with it if they accuse you of swearing. 2--Feel free to line jump at Great America...if someone contacts security or a ride op, tell them they swore at you as you went past...

Usually, the moral of the story in these cases, is that we're only hearing one side of the story. And we all know there's two sides to every story.

Not that I am doubting you, but that's typically the case. I understand your venting, but I think it'd be better by presenting what you just wrote to Six Flags themselves. Not much is going to occur by posting this here.

I don't bother to call out the people catching up with their family and jumping the line, even though it's wrong. They all seem to think holding a place for someone is fine. I did, though, last year tell off a teenage girl who with her friend passed my daughter and me while we were all walking through the Eagle queue, since it was so brazen.

True, ILRider, but how do you know they really have family up ahead until you let them past you?

I probably would have let the situation pass if the dad had tapped me on the shoulder and politely said, "She's with us -- just a few groups ahead..." had he not pushed me from behind.

True, ILRider, but how do you know they really have family up ahead until you let them past you?

I probably would have let the situation pass if the dad had tapped me on the shoulder and politely said, "She's with us -- just a few groups ahead..." had he not pushed me from behind.

No way to tell 100%, but often they are women by themselves who look very uncomfortable/embarrassed to be cutting past everyone. Maybe they are still lying, but in that case, I just figure, it's just one person.

Now, last weekend, a family was in front of me in B:TDK's queue, and their two teenagers entered the "theater" much farther back in line, but the mom waved them over, saying, "We reserved a place for you," and they proceeded to climb through several rows of guardrails and passed over 50 people to join their parents. The line attendant at the Flash Pass entrance had to have seen it but did nothing. I had trouble holding my tongue since they were directly ahead of me. Just plain disregard for others.

This is a little old so a few of you may have seen it but I feel it still merits a post.

Taking a step away from whats coming in the future and looking back at the past, this summer greatamericaparks.com posted a really great video based around the parks two sky rides. It has some really great footage of past rides, including some I had never seen in video before, such as Traffique Jam, Bottoms Up, Hilltopper, Sky Whirl, Tidal Wave, Turn of the Century, kiddie rides in Hometown Square, the third track of Oldfield Speedway, Whirligigs old location, a horrendously long Loggers Run queue, and more. It's a little long, around 14 mins, but definitely one of the best old park videos I've seen providing a great overview of it's past life from both sky rides.

Check it out: http://www.greatamericaparks.com/images/displayimage.php?album=176&pid=1761#top_display_media

No way to tell 100%, but often they are women by themselves who look very uncomfortable/embarrassed to be cutting past everyone. Maybe they are still lying, but in that case, I just figure, it's just one person.

Believe me, the girl in my case was not shy/uncomfortable/embarrassed in the slighted...she was almost aggressive - which makes even more sense seeing her dad's behavior...