TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I'm just gonna give myself a big ole' pat on the back for figuring this out:

How is this different than any other post you make?

You realize you pretty much just patted yourself on the back too, right?

This ride looks AWESOME! Six Flags has really outdone themselves in 2012, and here's to hoping SFMM gets an X-Wing coaster (perhaps the tallest and fastest) sometime in the future to replace Deja Vu. B&M really hit the nail on the head with these new style of coasters, it's amazing how well they're working out for them!

via the Thorpe Park Discussion Thread one month ago[/b]"]I gotta be honest, I don't really "get" these new style of coasters from B&M.

Made up your mind yet?

I'm just gonna give myself a big ole' pat on the back for figuring this out:

It didn't confirm wingrider in any way, though, and we didn't get a ZacSpin, so....I guess you could really kick someone's ass in a game of Memory. Way to spot a match.

This looks great, probably should be a lot more thrilling than Raptor. This feels like the next step in B&M's evolution of this concept, and if it works without problems as I fully expect it to, I think we'll see a model where the seats spin in the next few years. But in the meantime, this looks like a fun, awesome ride that I'd love to go on.

HOLY CRAP! It looks like you are going to cut your head and feet off on parts of that ride! I have never been to this park and it is now in my top ten parks to visit someday before I die. Insane looking ride! Hopefully the outside seats will be smooth and not shake the crap out of you.

Jimmy "Back-Outside Seats SUCK" Bo

This one actually looks pretty legit. I was not impressed with Raptor but this looks pretty cool-especially with the inversions and the super tight keyhole element.

Wish Canada's wonderland got this instead of Leviathan. Not saying leviathan isn't cool or anything just the order that it's being built right after Behemoth..and the lack of good inverting coasters, something like this could of been a better crowd pleaser or coaster enthusiast pleaser

I'm happy for all the big projects that six flags will accomplish. Can't wait to visit the parks!

Hope all this investments make six flags a better park, get more visitors so that they can keep their plans going for building something new each year.

Oh wow!

Finally....!

This is the first time I have been beside myself in being excited with a new addition to Six Flags Great America in a long, long time.

My wife gets me a season pass for my birthday every year.......I think I will be there once a week next year for this one!

But just to stir the pot, what do you think is going in the old Iron Wolf area------it won't take place next year, but for 2013/2014 do you think it will be a WindSeeker, ZacSpin, or the Premier ride that Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is building which is a lauch shuttle with the steep dive and the barrell roll?

AQUATRAX!

Themed to Dippin' Dots!

Give Six Flags a year or so. They'll put a tacky Dippin' Dots wrap on the train chassis and ruin the theme, as per usual.

This looks like a great addition for Great America and will put them back on the map for enthusiasts who want to ride something unique. X-Flight is probably the most unique thing SF Great America has gotten since they got the original Batman. The riding through the key hole of the building is especially awesome. And 32 riders per train with probably two trains running will mean pretty good capacity. My only complaint is the ride seems a bit short by the POV of the video, but that could just be the video.

^ agreed, is Six Flags under new management, or does red zone still own them?

Under new management. Al Weber, the former CEO of the Paramount Parks is the new COO and Jim Reid-Anderson, no prior experience in the industry, is the new CEO. Plus a ton of other people Al Weber hired from the Paramount Parks are working at Six Flags now.

I want to give it up for Great America. I finally made it to the park on the 25th, walked through the gates at opening, and ran smack into park President Hank Salemi. He might be a common sight at GA, but in my experience it's a rare thing when a park executive puts on the same uniform as the rank and file, with a conspicuous name tag that leaves no doubt where the buck stops.

He greeted us warmly, starting a conversation that went on 10 minutes. Hank said enthusiasts would be fired up by the new addition. I think he's right - X-Flight is no toothless Superman UF, this thing looks like it will pack legitimate thrills.

As a Californian, it was fascinating to see what could have become of California's Great America if it hadn't been left to wither on the vine. Credit to Six Flags for keeping Whizzer going, as excellent a family ride as the day the park opened. Raging Bull was nice. Sure it's not the pinnacle of the type, but it was miles from suckitude. American Eagle blue: backwards air? Yes please! Batman the 1st - nice. Viper was on the mellow side but it was actually good, not the expected back-breaker. Little Dipper proved this is a park that values local history and heritage. I already noted that the departing Iron Wolf isn't the total pile as portrayed. And flats - you got 'em (Magic Mt should be so lucky), plus a huge waterpark newly refreshed (although closed for our visit).

Familiarity breeds contempt. Here, it shouldn't. Chicagoans have a good thing going at Great America, and it will only get better in the future. Oh, ropes courses for the win, even if they require a modest up-charge. I had to drag my kid out of there after an hour which passed pleasantly enough due to the friendly, approachable staff who were keen to talk about their park. On that note, guess who was at the gate at close to see us off? Hank Salemi. It's a great sign when management is front and center and comfortable with its customers. It's a great example to follow (cough, Bonnie Rabojean, cough).

This ride looks AWESOME! Six Flags has really outdone themselves in 2012, and here's to hoping SFMM gets an X-Wing coaster (perhaps the tallest and fastest) sometime in the future to replace Deja Vu. B&M really hit the nail on the head with these new style of coasters, it's amazing how well they're working out for them!

via the Thorpe Park Discussion Thread one month ago[/b]"]I gotta be honest, I don't really "get" these new style of coasters from B&M.

Made up your mind yet?

Wow, I guess I didn't realize I'm not allowed to change my OPINIONS about a roller coaster more than a MONTH later when a new and improved track design comes out that really uses the train design to its full potential. Not to mention it looks better than all the ones previously created.

I suppose I'm also not allowed to hate Ghostrider at Knott's either because 10 years ago I posted that I loved it.