TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Wouldn't Six Flags still have the trademark for X-Flight? The flyer at SFO/WoA was called X-Flight

Idk I tried looking it up to see if they still had it, but I can't tell if they do.

There must of been some mix up when they handed the park over to Cedar Fair so they must've had to re-attain the trademark... i'm not sure though

^I feel that neither Six Flags or Cedar Fair had the name trademarked. X-Flight's name didn't change when Cedar Fair bought Geauga Lake like everything else that was trademarked by Six Flags and if they are now trademarking it, that would leave me to believe that Cedar Fair never felt the need/desire to trademark it either.

Not a bad name, honestly I'll just be happy to get something not named Green Lantern. I'd hope if we do get something called X-Flight, they would give it more of a story line like they have with this years coaster additions to help it fit in with County Fair better. We'll know in exactly three weeks!

Hey all, sorry I was unable to post my review of the park, been a crazy week.

As some of you know I made my first visit to the park this past Sunday. The day started off kind of bleak with the threat of rain moving in. I had pre-purchased my flashpass so there wasn't really anything I could do.

Thankfully the rain stopped about 10:30 and I was able to get in all of the rides. In fact, I did many of them multiple times (I think I did Whizzer and Raging Bull 6 times each).

I think my favorite moment was my first ride on American Eagle, it was on the backwards side since the Red side wasn't open yet. I had no idea of the layout of the ride so it was truly a unique experience.

Overall I think the park is probably the most "well rounded" of any of the Six Flags parks, although SFFT comes close. There aren't really any coasters that "blew me away" but just a lot of "FUN" rides, which is totally awesome.

Ride reviews;

S:UF - I've now ridden all three of the US versions of this. Nothing unexpected here but still a fun ride.

TDK - I actually enjoyed this. Sure it was a mouse in a box, but it was fun and I give them effort for going for it.

B:TR - I think this was my 6th Batman? Again, nothing new here, but nice to ride the "originator".

Ragin' Cajun' - Thank God for the single rider line on this as the ride didn't open until later in the day.

V2 - This was actually my first "true" impulse (I've only ever previously ridden V2.5) and I enjoyed this. Took rides in the front/back/middle and all were good.

Spacely Sprocklets - Credit ride, but fun for the kids

Iron Wolf - Not as bad as Vortex, but not great either. Nice to get a ride on it before it's gone though.

American Eagle - Both sides were cool, I was happy to get both sides in. Is this the longest queue line in history though?

Demon - Had a semi-enjoyable ride I guess.

Raging Bull - Fun ride, my 2nd B&M hyper, I think I like Nitro better, but still a fun ride.

Viper - Didn't care for this much at all, only rode once. Loved the layout but the ride was rough I thought.

Whizzer - This was the surprise of the day for me. I absolutely loved it. I think I rode this about 6 times and could have ridden it more.

Little Dipper - What a classic, I'm lucky that I caught this right when it opened because when I walked by later it was over an hour line.

I also rode the Sky Tower, Train and Log ride, all were fun great family rides. I

American Eagle - Both sides were cool, I was happy to get both sides in. Is this the longest queue line in history though?

Yeah, ever since they built Wiggles they shifted the AE line over to the right. It's really a big mess, but works

And as for "X-Flight", that sounds very Zac-Spin-y to me...

I think if Six Flags was going to put in another Zac Spin they would just use Green Lantern again. X-Flight does sound like a good name for what could be the first wing rider in the United States. Just think about it, the military uses X in the names of all of its one of a kind test planes. So it would make sense to have it in the name of what will be a one of a kind coaster.

Maybe they will also fix V2's holding brake and take the trims of Eagle.

Hi guys. I am planning on visiting the park this Friday. And I was wondering what do you guys think crowd levels might be like. I mean are kids back in school yet or are there any big promotions going on that day? There is nothing on their events page other than "Coasters after Dark".

^ Most highschools should be back in school by then, but younger kids will still be there. My guess would be that the morning will be empty and it will get more crowded as the day goes on, it really shouldn't be too crowded though. Longest wait will be 30+ mins. for Rajin Cajun.

^^Cajun has a single riders line, but sometimes it's better off to get in the normal line.

I was there today with a few other TPR members. I think the most we waited was a hour. It was for Eagle blue side to sit in the front (or back) of the train. Since it runs backwards now, I get more confused but it makes the ride so much better!

^^Cajun has a single riders line, but sometimes it's better off to get in the normal line.

I was there today with a few other TPR members. I think the most we waited was a hour. It was for Eagle blue side to sit in the front (or back) of the train. Since it runs backwards now, I get more confused but it makes the ride so much better!

Agreed, the feeling of not knowing whats coming makes the ride a lot more thrilling.

Bahhhh I had so much fun today Jo! Thanks for going!

Eagle backwards today was amazing. The airtime in the rear of the train (what would be the front row if it was facing forward) is unbelievable while backwards.

I also picked up a $13 Iron Wolf blueprint. All IW merchandise is half off, so stock up everyone!

It is time to start watching the Raceway/Splashwater Falls area very closely. The last couple times I've been to the park, there have been workers in Splash's pond. Right now there is a pick-up truck in the Splash pond, and there are orange survey markings on the midway by the arcade.

Sounds like this might be a big ride, like I hoped.

Another update from the Cyber Cafe. I did a more detailed look around the area and found several more orange marks. I also figured out what they are currently doing in the Splashwater Falls pond. They are cutting out the metal guide rails with blow torches. I'll have some pictures up later tonight.

EDIT: Pictures from today.

1820732107_Markings1.thumb.jpg.3c931d6986ff3cc23c44d8c359392d6f.jpg

Markings by the Arcade on the Pizza Luigi side

625716939_Markings2.thumb.jpg.570fba7c11e3bb5f3c8fbf91949c6d29.jpg

Markings by RC Boats on the midway side

1609563479_Markings3.thumb.jpg.51eeecc7dabadd4afbd337ed6f11a8b1.jpg

Markings by RC Boats on the boats side

1791742179_Markings4.thumb.jpg.42951c4f9feee901b6f63798f502730e.jpg

Markings by the Dog Tags stand across the midway from RC Boats

985543531_Markings5.thumb.jpg.98724092297e880d08635a2dd8d3cb32.jpg

Markings in the Pizza Luigi eating area

740145165_TorchingSplash.thumb.jpg.5ce3fdcd4528e20af400dc808d5db840.jpg

Maintenance using a blow torch to remove the metal guide rails from Splashwater Falls pond

2012.jpg.f4fef922dc956a562917ef968d3f417a.jpg

Current locations of markings. The red dots are actually pink, but red shows up better.

Edited by SFGAm Shock Wave

Hmmm, interesting. The two red one's seem a bit out of the way, but I suppose that could be where the lift is? If that were true DDD would obviously have to be removed. Sorta sad, but no big lose, removing/relocating it would definitely open up a good chunk of land. The arcade and boats will probably leave too for space for the queue line.

Went to Great America this last Tuesday....didn't have my camera on me, but I will try to go back next week to take some last pics of Iron Wolf, and SplashwaterFalls area for construction/deconstruction updates. Just a FYI for the SFGA 'veterans' but one of the shots I'd like to get is of the "overflow" queue of Iron Wolf to the left of the main entrance...anyone have pics of that area when it was the queue for "Whirligig" before that ride was moved to the "Batman" area? I think I do, but I got shoeboxes of Kodak 110 buried deep all over the place. Might take me years to find those pics, and/or of Z-Force.

I've been saying that Iron Wolf has lost it's 're-ridable-ness' for years, but now that it's really set to go, I'm kinda feeling over-protective of it. I actually rode it again on Tues. and hope to get a couple more rides in next Mon/Tues. It was 'weird' having to wait more than 5 min to get on it. The sad fact is, when I was younger I would 'willingly' wait an hour or 90 min to get on it and thought it was fantastic. Maybe I got spoiled by other B&M's. Now it hurts..just a little, but a little too much.

American Eagle did not operate until after noon. I rode it about 4 p.m. and got a ride on both sides (backward/forward) in about 40 min. Backward kinda fun, but I still like Red Side better.

Hurricane Harbor was "open" but not really. The back half of the park was completely shut down, as were the two tall body slides (on the same staircase as the 'toilet bowl/raft slides'.) To make matters worse, there was only one lifeguard on the tower (with the two bowl slides and raft rides), so the lines were overly long. I was kinda disgusted. Don't bother shutting down half the park and understaffing what "is" working. Lame. Yeah, the waterpark will be open weekends but I work every weekend and can't get to the park then. Last Tues. was it for me for the waterpark.

To finish up my last post (had some weird pc prob going on)......

Park was really busy for a Tues. in August.

Demon started off the train with the yellow and black trains, and then switched it out for the "Stride-wrap" train mid=day and never did run all three. I guess that was okay, even with two trains they were stacking them for almost a minute.

I only waited for five trains to board Iron Wolf. Somehow that took over twenty minutes. The Ride Op was 'spot-on' about telling people how to board, affix the harness and ride the ride, but it was NOT in a friendly tone at all. I've been on this ride probably over 75 times throughout it's lifetime and I've never heard someone so condescending to the riders. If she'd put some humor into it, it would've been okay, but for those that have never ridden it, she probably made them feel like idiots. Not such a good idea!

The tower-op at Riptide Bay spoke in such an exaggerated accent, that I'm surpised that anyone outside of "Monty Python" fans could understand him. No offense to exchange students and (Disney Term) "Casual Temporary" employees, but even knowing how to ride the 'drop towers' at "Riptide Bay" , "Crowwszha fee and put ze arms up behin ze nek" might not make sense to the average person.

The audio for this tower keeps repeating, "Persons under 48 in. and persons over 300 lbs. may not participate in this attraciton." or something to that effect. I watched some little maybe 3.5 ft child ride in front of me, and I saw some person obviously over this weight limit allowed to ride.

Just saying....I'll keep going back to 6FGAM.....it's my "homepark", but that doesnt mean I like everything that goes on there.