TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

^ That would be great. I will most certainly be at the park before it opens considering my flight lands at 5am. Even considering possible LAX delays, getting the car, having breakfast, etc I should be at the park in PLENTY of time to make it for opening.

Also, if anybody could recommend any non-chain (or at least non National Chain) restaurants to eat at near the park (or between the airport and the park) for Breakfast, that'd be awesome. I can have Denny's, iHop, etc anytime I want.

To get to the Washington St. entrance:

You will be heading north on I-294/94. To enter via Washington St., exit at 120 Belvidere Rd. West. There are separate exits for east 120 and west 120-you'll take the second one. Once on 120 west, pretty quickly you'll come upon Rte. 120 Milwaukee Ave. Exit at 21. The exit will loop around so you're facing east again, so turn left (north) onto 21. A few miles later, you'll come to a light at Washington St. Turn left, then you'll take a right very soon after the turn into the park (at the first light).

It just won't happen.

Here's the E-mail I got from Hank just a few minutes ago.

Hello David,

Thank you for your interest in Six Flags Great America and taking the time to contact me.

As an avid supporter of keeping Great America's classic rides at Great America, I can assure you that Iron Wolf will thrill guests for many years to come.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask me.

Thank you, and have a Six Flags day!

Hank Salemi

Park President

Six Flags Great America

Safe to say that my Wolfie is safe <3333

Also, if anybody could recommend any non-chain (or at least non National Chain) restaurants to eat at near the park (or between the airport and the park) for Breakfast, that'd be awesome. I can have Denny's, iHop, etc anytime I want.

Actually, there is this little restaurant called The Point. It's on the corner of Rte. 21 and Rte. 41. It's about 5 minutes away from the Washington St. entrance. It's good food and reasonably priced. I hear the baked apples are awesome but I have yet to try them.

Um, Culver's???!!! Best chain you don't have out West!

It just won't happen.

Hello David,

Thank you for your interest in Six Flags Great America and taking the time to contact me.

As an avid supporter of keeping Great America's classic rides at Great America, I can assure you that Iron Wolf will thrill guests for many years to come.

Hank Salemi

Park President

Six Flags Great America

You guys can keep it.

I'll be darned if we who live in the vicinity of SFA have waited over ten years for a coaster just to end up getting that POS.

^ I said it in the SFA thread, and I'll say it here again.

Look what I took a picture of today... and it's RUNNING! Guess that rumored date was wrong huh?

Six Flags Great Adventure NEVER said GASm wasn't being removed, they said the rumored DATE OF CLOSURE was wrong, not that the ride wouldn't be going. Great America has come out and said many times that they have NO PLANS to remove Iron Wolf. I know things have come up suddenly in the past, but parks have plans set for years in advance, if IW was really leaving, the park would already know and wouldn't say its staying like they did TODAY.

Sorry for venting, I just keep seeing people bring up the GADv thing on multiple forums and it was really starting to annoy me.

Thank You.

I've been waiting for someone to just say it.

To those of you relating this to GASM, Stop. Management of the parks is completely different. Jim is a figure, the Park Presidents are the ones that now create future plans for the parks and then submit them to corporate for approval. Jim is a driving force behind the "Park President is an entrepreneur" statement. And Hank always goes on about how he would never pull Wolfie.

Thank You.

I've been waiting for someone to just say it.

To those of you relating this to GASM, Stop. Management of the parks is completely different. Jim is a figure, the Park Presidents are the ones that now create future plans for the parks and then submit them to corporate for approval. Jim is a driving force behind the "Park President is an entrepreneur" statement. And Hank always goes on about how he would never pull Wolfie.

That's all fine and good but today the rumor of IW's demise has spread to the, ahem, "big theme park rumors site," whose sources are also confirming IW is gone. Still a rumor, but it's rapidly gaining steam. SF corporate could have other plans, no matter what Hank Salemi wants.

It just won't happen.

Hello David,

Hank Salemi

Park President

Six Flags Great America

Well, technically, the email doesn't confirm that Iron Wolf will be staying at SFGAm. The email confirms that Hank supports keeping classic rides at SFGAm (and he probably fought corporate pretty hard to keep Iron Wolf) and the email confirms that Iron Wolf will be thrilling guests for many years to come (...possibly at SFA), but it doesn't specifically say that Iron Wolf will be staying at SFGAm or that Iron Wolf will be thrilling SFGAm guests for many years to come...

From Screamscape (which means take it with a grain of salt) -

(7/22/11) The elephant sized rumor in the room this morning was the news from several sources confirming that Iron Wolf would be removed at the end of the summer, with the last rides likely taking place on Labor Day weekend (Sept. 5).

If this all sounds haunting familiar, it should… as I reported it way back on June 13th on the Six Flags America page. The rumor then was “I’m really not too sure about this particular rumor… so take this with a grain of salt, but one e-mail sent in claims that Iron Wolf may be moved from SFGAm and sent to SFA as the new coaster for 2012, where I believe it would fit into the site rather easily. I’m just not sure if SFGAm is ready to let go of another coaster just yet, unless they’re getting something better to replace it, so for now just keep this one in the back of your mind.”

Six Flags Great America’s own Guest Services attempted to put this fire out to several readers (and on Facebook). The exact text emailed to a Screamscape reader regarding the possible removal of the Iron Wolf at the time was that it “will be around for your enjoyment for years to come. There is no truth to the rumor that the Iron Wolf will be taken down or moved anytime in the near future.”

I hate to say it… but apparently they lied. Well, maybe they didn’t lie… they just may not have been clued in by the corporate office yet as to what was going on, but for now my own sources have confirmed that Iron Wolf will soon be leaving. The only good news is that a new coaster is said to be confirmed for the park for 2012 to replace it… but will it be a big one or another medium sized thrill machine?

As long as they hold on to Whizzer, I'll be happy.

Iron Wolf “will be around for your enjoyment for years to come.”

That is obviously some strange new usage of the word "enjoyment" that I wasn't previously aware of.. New coaster or not, I'd personally love to see Iron Wolf gone, it's an embarrassment.

Cameron.

Iron Wolf “will be around for your enjoyment for years to come.”

That is obviously some strange new usage of the word "enjoyment" that I wasn't previously aware of.. New coaster or not, I'd personally love to see Iron Wolf gone, it's an embarrassment.

Cameron.

Hank apparently hasn't ridden it recently. I don't think his statement means anything about their plans. They will act on their timetable, and they won't announce anything until they are ready.

Besides headbanging, Iron Wolf has NO problems whatsoever, and the ride always has a line.

Great America cannot loose another classic coaster for something mediocre.

LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and I'd consider headbanging a pretty big problem.

Besides headbanging, Iron Wolf has NO problems whatsoever, and the ride always has a line.

This is like saying "besides all the blood loss, getting stabbed in the skull isn't all that bad". Iron Wolf is brutally rough, and I cannot believe that they'd move this crap pile instead of melting it down and making a churro cart out of it.

Then again, if it must be moved, SFA is the perfect place for it. Something that can be easily moved when they sell the land the park sits on for another Condo Town...

dt

I don't know if its my height, or lack of it, but I've never had problems with IW besides one jolt before the corkscrew. I've had worse rides on newer coasters, even newer B&Ms. Plus, I love IWs layout, and it is one IMO one of the better coasters in the park, so as much as I'd hate to see it go, I geuss living on at SFA would be better than the scrap heap.

No problems with Iron Wolf either. I can't help but think (and maybe not fair in all cases) that a good portion of those who do are just capricious and would be thrilled with a park full of Time Machine, Hydra, and S:UF clones- of the very same ilk that feign horror at SLC and Boomerangs before even riding them, and then when inevitably they do (for a credit, what else), and it rode fine, act like God had mercy on them and performed a miracle.