TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

^^^&^^^^

If you come at opening Superman fills up instantly and usually is full for the rest of the day, depending on the crowds. Also if you don't care about superman and want to get in V2 before that line gets to big, go to V2 as it opens and you should get on it quick. I usually skip Superman and Dark Knight and head to Yankee Harbor, hit V2 then Batman and then go to the back of the park which is usually empty for the first half-hour or more. Then hit Giant Drop and the Bull, there lines move quickly. It should be around 11:30 (when it works right) or 12ish' by the time you done. Then i'd say wait for lunch for a bit because everyone will leave the rides for lunch. I'd also recommend leaving the park for lunch and tailgating or crossing the street to Burger King, Subway, Jimmy Johns, or Mama K's (Great Frozen Yogurt). Then I head back into the park pick up other rides or go to Hurricane Harbor, crowded but the slides are great fun.

^I'm interested in tips for efficiently hitting the park too. We should be visiting on Fri Aug 19, coming from Cedar Pt. Any thoughts on how to avoid slow traffic through Chicago?

Avoid the city during rush hour. Not sure what time you plan on leaving CP to head to Chicago, but it's best to drive through the city either early in the morning, or later in the evening.

^ Great ... sigh.

Unfortunately it looks like it's the only day I'm going to have. I was shooting for a week day but looks like our meetings are set to begin on Monday afternoon.

I will for sure pre-order my flash pass though.

Are there any non Flash-Pass rides I need to get in first? Anybody have a good plan for tackling the park?

I would hit up Ragin Cajun first, then go pick up the flash pass. I've seen a long line for that on some days, but it should move quickly. I would then head over to Demon then Eagle (both those rides should be open by then, I'm not sure if they open at 11am). I would just take your time and not worry about getting the rest of the credits right away. You'll have a flash pass, and the wait shouldn't be very long that day. You'll be able to get multiple rides on Batman, Whizzer, Viper, Raging Bull and any other coaster you like.

SFGAm is so odd when it comes to crowds. I was at the park this past Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, and the least crowded day (as far as the dry side goes) was Saturday. I bought a regular flash pass and I barely needed it except for a couple times on Superman and V2. I think the hot temperatures attracted even more people to the waterpark, therefore alleviating the crowd level throughout the dry side of the park.

Also, has anyone ever seen this sign close to the park? It cracks me up every time I drive by it.

004.JPG.0a9ab2c69343aa83e1d83d51aa18eee0.JPG

Decisions, decisions...

^I prefer this sign I see when i'm on my way to Great America.

DSCN1062_800x600.JPG.6f12ac2685f0fba006592c78fd5ba28e.JPG

I don't know which rides are on Flash Pass or not, but my advice is pretty much the same as everyone else, low capacity rides first. People can line up for rides pretty much as soon as they get through security. Superman always has a line, Dark Knight is hit or miss, Ragin Cajun has a single riders line which works decently, Little Dipper can have a long line too depending on the crew. Many rides are on Flash Pass though so you shouldn't run into too many problems.

Edited by traincrossin

You can take a bus from either Schaumburg or Rosemont. The bus leaves around 9:00A.M, and will pick you up again at 10:15PM. The bus leaves Rosemont from the CTA station, so depending on where you stay, that is probably the best option. The bus is only available Friday-Sunday though.

http://www.pacebus.com/sub/espd/six_flags_express.asp

Thanks for providing this link. I like to stay at the Marriott Suites within walking distance of the Rosemont CTA station. Not sure if I really want to spend 12 hours at the park, but it appears to be a great deal rather than renting a car for the day.

I don't mind it. It's not my favorite ride by any means, but it isn't terrible, either. Not even that rough in the front. And there's some air off of the hill after going through the loop, which is always fun on a standup. I don't think it should leave. It is kind of a landmark, and it's historic.

But if I had to choose between Iron Wolf and Whizzer, I would take Whizzer in a second.

+1

As most of you know, Eagle Blue stopped running backwards after the 2005 season, and many people (myself included) thought that it would never be done again for various reasons. Well, looks like that assumption was probably wrong.

The second picture picture was taken yesterday, July 15th, 2011. This is a car from the 3rd Blue train on the storage track facing backwards. Notice that it also has the tall wings on the inside side of the train like it did last time it ran backwards. In the first picture taken on July 12th, they had the backwards car on the main track in place of that train's last car.

Eagle1.thumb.jpg.97e63cf777ffe1357b16c5e9df44dc56.jpg

Eagle Backwards on track

Eagle2.thumb.jpg.37aec784e9537f4087942f2cae7b0a94.jpg

Eagle Backwards on storage track

Hey all, quick question about my trip:

I have to rent a car to get to Six Flags (obviously). I was thinking of just renting a car at the airport, going to Six Flags, then back to airport and taking the train in to my hotel.

Or would it be easier to rent a car near the hotel, drive out to Six Flags, and then back to hotel? I'll be staying at the Hilton Palmer House hotel.

I'm thinking the Airport rental will be less stress right?

Hey all, quick question about my trip:

I have to rent a car to get to Six Flags (obviously). I was thinking of just renting a car at the airport, going to Six Flags, then back to airport and taking the train in to my hotel.

Or would it be easier to rent a car near the hotel, drive out to Six Flags, and then back to hotel? I'll be staying at the Hilton Palmer House hotel.

I'm thinking the Airport rental will be less stress right?

Airport rental would be more efficient and less stress, as you'll be closer to SF at O'Hare than coming from downtown, and the blue line train stop (from O'Hare) at Monroe and Dearborn streets is only 1.5 blocks from the hotel. The less downtown driving you have to do, the better.

Yeah, that's what I figured. From taking Taxi's in Downtown Chicago a few years ago it didn't seem like any kind of place I'd want to drive.

Yeah, we're pretty aggressive drivers here. One tip: if you are heading to the park before noon, avoid the main Grand Ave. entrance and use the back Washington St. entrance. People literally sit almost an hour or more waiting to enter the park on Grand on a daily basis. Washington St., you'll have either no wait if you arrive before open to nothing worse than maybe 20 minutes if you arrive just after open. Grand is fine in the afternoon and evening.

If you need directions to the Washington entrance, let me know. It's just a few turns off the expressway. Plus, you get to drive literally through/under the American Eagle!

^ That would be great. I will most certainly be at the park before it opens considering my flight lands at 5am. Even considering possible LAX delays, getting the car, having breakfast, etc I should be at the park in PLENTY of time to make it for opening.

Also, if anybody could recommend any non-chain (or at least non National Chain) restaurants to eat at near the park (or between the airport and the park) for Breakfast, that'd be awesome. I can have Denny's, iHop, etc anytime I want.

To Answer some ?'s ^ posted above....

I was at the park on Tuesday (yest.) the 19th. Blue side of the Eagle was still running Forwards...not backwards. Both sides were running around 1 p.m.

Superman was down and not even testing as of 7 p.m.---I left the park around then, so if it opened at the end of the night, I cannot be sure.

If you are looking to get to the park weekdays, you want to take I-294 'around' Chicago, there's a couple of slow spots, but most of the time you will be moving right along, especially if you have the I-Pass transponder in your car (electronic toll collector)...however if you are coming up on the weekend and hit I-94 "Early", it is a shorter trip by a dozen miles or so. Most likely you will get bogged down around "The Circle" (Chicago-speak for the stretch of road of I-94 at the I-290 connection) but this is only about a two mile slowdown. We have electronic signage in place that will tell you travel times....watch them...but before you travel, please Look At A Real Map!!!! If you don't want to worry about the maybe ten min you can save on I-94 on weekends just follow the signage for I-294....for the most part it moves pretty steadily and every twelve miles you have an "Oasis" you can stop at if you need to.

Riptide Bay is Jammed from the minute it opens until almost the time they shut down. If you get to Hurricane Harbor early, hit all the other slides first, and then get to Riptide Bay....you will have walk-ons on all the 'old' slides for an hour and a half, and by the time you hit Riptide, the waits will still be about the same. Maybe less, because that's when everyone at Riptide starts to migrate to other parts of the waterpark. Just remember, they are new slides, but they are "LOW" capacity attractions.

Demon and Whizzer were both on 3-train operation, but kept stacking them all day, didn't see the point. The crew on Raging Bull were spot on yesterday....very very efficient. Viper very good also. Batman about the usual dispatch times.

No new construction yet on the site of Splashwater Falls, Barney Oldfield Speedway. Lots of displaced concrete though. Heard a "Very Intersting Rumor" though yesterday......there is a small section of (overflow) parking lot just west(northwest of park) of main parking lot that has been torn up and concrete piles are all over the place, and the rumor is that this section of torn up parking lot is the "Turnaround" for the new attraction that will cross over the Washington St. entrance roadway( just after the turn-off for the main parking lot) much like The American Eagle crosses over it right after you enter the park from the south. I "HOPE" this is true!!! however I have a feeling we are adding another low capacity, albeit new, coaster. I got a feeling we are getting a Green Lantern clone, which will be fun assuming I don't have to wait three hours to ride it. I would personally like to see another Wing-rider from B&M or an Intamin (is there a law against two hyper-coasters considering the first one is the park's best attraction?)

I'll be visiting the park at least two more times during their normal summer operations and if anything changes I will post it.

As most of you know, Eagle Blue stopped running backwards after the 2005 season, and many people (myself included) thought that it would never be done again for various reasons. Well, looks like that assumption was probably wrong.

The second picture picture was taken yesterday, July 15th, 2011. This is a car from the 3rd Blue train on the storage track facing backwards. Notice that it also has the tall wings on the inside side of the train like it did last time it ran backwards. In the first picture taken on July 12th, they had the backwards car on the main track in place of that train's last car.

Maybe they are going to be running AE backwards for Fright Fest which is around the corner.

Superman was down and not even testing as of 7 p.m.---I left the park around then, so if it opened at the end of the night, I cannot be sure.

Superman hasn't been open since Sunday (It was closed yesterday too). I've heard the lift motor may be the issue, which would make sense because it didn't sound right last time I rode.

Demon and Whizzer were both on 3-train operation, but kept stacking them all day, didn't see the point.

Demon and Whizzer will always stack one train during 3 train op. Demon because the ride is so short the crew can't possibly keep up, and Whizzer because they are not allowed to send the train until the previous train clears the MCBR. If they were stacking all trains though, then that is a problem.

Heard a "Very Intersting Rumor" though yesterday......there is a small section of (overflow) parking lot just west(northwest of park) of main parking lot that has been torn up and concrete piles are all over the place, and the rumor is that this section of torn up parking lot is the "Turnaround" for the new attraction

Yeah, that's not happening. Don't know whats going on there, but that is way too far out away from the actual park to be anything expansion related. No way for a coaster to get out there without running through Hurricane Harbor.

^&^^^

Yes, Superman has been down since the storm, and yesterday, wednesday, there were cranes working on the motor, also parts of the station roof must have blown off in the storm because its missing.

Also, Monday while I was on the log flume Raging Bull got stuck at the very top of the lift hill, and was there for quite some time, I'm not sure what was going because I had to leave, but I could see workers walking up and down the lift hill.