TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags [FUN] Corporate Discussion Thread

p. 91: Six Flags and Cedar Fair to enter "merger of equals" agreement, company will still be called "Six Flags"

Six Flags potentially could benefit from taking a year off from adding rides, but that's only IF the rides that are in every park are given the TLC they deserve. Rides are refurbished, and their reliability is improved. Abandoned restaurants, gift shops, and midway areas are restored to their glory or removed and landscaped around. Each park gets attentive detail put into the landscaping and atmosphere of each park. 

That being said, I don't think it's really going to happen that successfully. Some parks like Great Adventure might have some problems, but generally get a lot more detail put into them than parks like Discovery Kingdom, Six Flags America, and the other lesser loved parks. You have to build up the brand to a consistent quality base, and Six Flags tends to struggle with that. 

I definitely don't think improving mobile technology can be beneficial, but I don't think that should be as high a priority over other measures. 

SFSTL has been taking a year off from major rides since 2008, and look where that has the condition of the park?

It's the same conversation each year. "Take a year off and refresh the parks." The same parks take repeated years off. Meanwhile, they get the same mediocre water treading refreshers that other parks in the chain get, including the ones receiving the major additions.

SFSTL fans can't even get RMC treatment on what has been the roughest roller coaster in the chain since Rattler. We'll pass on the "let's take a year off" philosophy. That has been the idea since 2020 for the park, and still half of the Go Kart track remains along side of roped off areas and piles of dirt in plain view. The new paint and 5 refreshed flower beds don't make up for not being able to bulldoze and grass seed major eyesores.

Although, next year the park is getting a snow cone weekend as a highlighted event, so it's not like it's being completely disregarded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SF is done spending huge amounts of money for a while.  I think for many years a lot of parks in the chain have been lucky for getting new major rides or roller coasters.  The economy these days does not allow for so many new rides I think.  And most SF parks already have a lot of attractions, but yesI agree those need upgrades and proper maintenance.  The amusement industrie in general may be reaching a plateau IMO.  With SF not purchasing a lot of new attractions, CF could eventually follow that trend as well.  I am not saying the new CEO is completely doing everything right but he is trying hard to make the company money, and that is what counts for any business.  

• Sad 1

I agree. You can already see the ripple affect all across US parks. Where’s the 25 million dollar B&M? 30 million dollar Intamin? No one is building that. Instead parks are either rebranding current rides or finishing rides that are already on the books. That’ll happen after a pandemic and economic down turn.

You can look back in the thread from 2008/2009 and see a similar SF situation and park’s building family rides or nothing at all.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, grsupercity said:

Does Six Flags still offer a watch for the flashpass? I would hate to be tied to my phone all day 

No they don't.

When I went to Great Adventure this summer, I used the Flash Pass on mobile. It's a pain the ass because 1. You have to make sure your battery doesn't go all the way dead (which can be mitigated by changing battery settings and keeping the screen off when not in use) 2. You will have to put your phone in a locked on rides with strict no loose article policies.

46 minutes ago, grsupercity said:

Does Six Flags still offer a watch for the flashpass? I would hate to be tied to my phone all day 

See comments about what a pain the phone is.

If for some reason you don't have a watch, get one for $5-10. I really wouldn't want to strap some unknown device to my wrist all day.

20 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

Unknown device? It's a rubber watch with old school tech.

I wouldn't wear a random used watch on my sweaty arm for hours.
And I wouldn't trust the kids at SF to properly clean and disinfect them.

• Haha 1

Theme parks are full of Sweat, snot, spit, and whatever bodily fluids you can think of. People don't wash their hands after using the bathroom. I once literally saw a young girl piss herself in the Boss station. No one else noticed as it ran down her leg and she stayed in line. 

That watch though...

"ewww grosssss"

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

That's exactly where I thought you were going, but you'll sit in sweaty coaster seats and restraints.

Well, I have a layer of clothing between me and the seats/restraints (I don't wear shorts either). I've yet to sit down and feel damp from the seats/restraints. Still that'd be a few minutes of contact vs prolonged contact all day. 

Anyway, all you need is a $10 watch that runs for years without charging or changing the battery.

I never understood relying on a fickle device like a phone that is bulky, limited charge capacity, and easily broken. I hit a theme park/concert with just my pass, debit card, and car key/fob (except when I had a vehicle with a keypad). Same as I've done for 35 years (well it was cash instead of a card way back).  It'd really suck to loose/damage an expensive phone.

For the same reason I don't wear my nice watches to a park either.  I'd hate to crack the crystal and/or get water in one. So I keep a cheap digital watch for activities where damage is likely.  Nor my good sunglasses, again just cheap stuff. I didn't even carry my zippo to a park, just a cheap disposable.

Hello folks. On a good note....the 170$ platinum pass was lowered to 99 as an upgrade from the gold to platinum. I pulled the trigger as I have yet to visit MM and SFMC, and look forward to hitting both my Texas home parks again. It was an offer that was emailed to me since I was a prior season pass holder. Not as sweet as the $69 dollar deal of past years but enough to entice me back. With the bs processing fee of 15 and tax it came to 120ish to visit any park and have parking. I never mess with meal passes and get flash in a whim if needed. Seems the high pricing wasn't selling. This was kinda like meeting in the middle. So maybe they aren't gonna hardball after all. Cheers, yall.

On 9/7/2022 at 3:33 PM, TEDodd said:

See comments about what a pain the phone is.

If for some reason you don't have a watch, get one for $5-10. I really wouldn't want to strap some unknown device to my wrist all day.

I don't think you're talking about the same watch. . .

They are talking about the qbot watch thing where you can reserve rides and things, you are talking about simply keeping up with time.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

So can a qbot be rented or are those totally gone? I already reserved the flash pass. I am just hoping I do not have to lug my phone around. How do you use your phone for flash pass when so some rides have a no loose articles policy?

Here is a twist that might impact the Six Flags in the future.  Long story short, Universal Comcast is looking to acquire Warner Brothers studios, probably discussions begin in 2024. Basically the new owner of Warner came in, fired a bunch of people, cancelled projects, getting Warner leaner for an attractive sale.  So that means Six Flags will be licensing out the WB properties from NBC Universal!  Lot of interesting possibilities will come up once Six Flags in the future will be negotiating with Universal instead of Warner.  

LOL.  Two years (by the time any possible deal is settled, based on the timeline you suggested) is a very long time, and I think it's a bit premature to speculate on what this might mean for SF's licensing deals.

Besides, we're not talking about Disney parks here.  SF, if they lose the Warner/DC licensing, could very easily and cheaply strip off the "theming" from just about every one of their rides (except maybe the Justice League dark rides) and call it a day.  No one would even notice.

3 hours ago, AmyUD06 said:

could very easily and cheaply strip off the "theming" from just about every one of their rides (except maybe the Justice League dark rides) and call it a day.  No one would even notice.

Or even care if they did notice.

One plus might be new/unique names for the rides instead of 4-5 different rides (not the clones) with the same name.

• Like 2