TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags [FUN] Corporate Discussion Thread

p. 91: Six Flags and Cedar Fair to enter "merger of equals" agreement, company will still be called "Six Flags"

9 hours ago, boldikus said:

What other park in the competitive Cali market is even close to 20 coasters?

Don’t think it’s about number of coasters, it’s about differentiating yourself in a market that includes so many options.  My friends see six flags as the roller coaster/thrills park here too, so being able to brag about 20 coasters only reinforces that.

Fun fact: outside of Superman, roaring rapids is the second most expensive ride at the park to operate. The pumps draw a ton of power.  Jet Stream is in the top 5 as well for the same reason. Would not be the least bit surprised if magic mountain has plans to remove all of them for a water ride that is more energy efficient in the next few years.

• Like 2

I just don't see how having the ability to claim this magical number 20 is some marketing holy grail SFMM. If no other park in the area even comes close, can't the park just settle on a "f*ckton of coasters" and roll with that?

I can just imagine the Zoom meeting where they're reviewing which rides would be most cost effective to remove and someone brings up a coaster and someone else cuts them off all "nah, not so fast - no coasters. I don't care how much of a money suck that thing is, we still haven't been able to market 20 coasters yet so it stays until we can".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boldikus said:

I just don't see how having the ability to claim this magical number 20 is some marketing holy grail SFMM. If no other park in the area even comes close, can't the park just settle on a "f*ckton of coasters" and roll with that?

I can just imagine the Zoom meeting where they're reviewing which rides would be most cost effective to remove and someone brings up a coaster and someone else cuts them off all "nah, not so fast - no coasters. I don't care how much of a money suck that thing is, we still haven't been able to market 20 coasters yet so it stays until we can".

I guess my thinking was with Knotts, Disney and Universal fighting for the same guest Six Flags would need something to market. 

3 minutes ago, grsupercity said:

I guess my thinking was with Knotts, Disney and Universal fighting for the same guest Six Flags would need something to market. 

And without the magic number of 20 they don't have something to market? Not being taller, faster, loopier, more coasters, etc?

On 10/30/2020 at 7:14 AM, grsupercity said:

I always thought SFMM's marketing strategy was "we're cheap."

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Got an email about this and was surprised no one had posted about it, it's a pretty great deal!

cyber-only4999_2550x680-1536x410.thumb.jpg.3ed5679268f3746032f37cf028b36831.jpg

This link is for SFStL, but it looks like all of the parks are doing it. Includes admission and parking to all parks and non-separate admission water parks, and a free ticket for someone else any day in 2021.

You have until the end of Monday to decide. Things should be mostly normal by late summer, right?! 🤔

and they rolled over all 2020 passes to good thru the end of 2021 anyways.

you don't get near as many perks with a Season Pass as you do with Memberships.   but honestly, the only perks we need are the free parking (which they offer with free upgrade to "Gold"), and admission to the other parks.   So we do it every year.

helps too, to live in a city without a "home" SF park. . we get fantastic deals on Photo Pass & Dining Plan, since we're not "local". . even tho SFFT is my home park (since i live in Austin).

• 2 months later...

Anyone have experience reserving multiple park visits with a season pass?

I am looking to buy a season pass for SFA and visiting the park on April 3, and then plan on visiting Great Adventure on April 4th.

I know I've had issues reserving diamond elite parking back in the day when I had a membership at multiple parks at the same time, will reserving multiple park reservations work or is there a limit for simultaneous reservations? Also will not having the card processed yet factor into reserving the second park? I won't be buying a membership this time around, just a sorry old $50 season pass.

I would like to reserve early so I can get a decent entry time so waiting until the day before the second park would stink especially during Spring Break.

Any experience out there?

• 2 weeks later...

did we ever get any more info on what 15 rides were being removed?

I know SkyBuckets from SFOG is one.
and if you count LaRonde stopping work on Green Lantern for the year as another. .that's still only 2.

what else has been noted?

Great Adventure responded to a question on social media a few weeks ago saying they didn't remove any attractions this year.

I've a feeling Six Flags as a whole chose to revisit their initial plans and only removed a few throughout the chain. Guess we won't know for sure until the rest of the parks open up and we can see firsthand.

2 hours ago, anonymouscactus said:

My sources seem to think a certain *cough* grizzly *cough* has had its "run" *cough*

Don't tell the Darien Lake thread.

Might want get that cough checked out, might be the rona.

19 hours ago, bert425 said:

did we ever get any more info on what 15 rides were being removed?

I know SkyBuckets from SFOG is one.
and if you count LaRonde stopping work on Green Lantern for the year as another. .that's still only 2.

what else has been noted?

The Ferris Wheel at the Great Escape is possibly one.  Someone in the GE thread noticed it disappeared from the park's website late last year.